Moving files between disks very slow (<1.5mbps), wait-IO almost 90%

• Any suggestion/ solution much appreciated.

I have partitioned hdd (500GB) for OMV OS (17GB) and rest been using as downloads directory (+ 500GB SSD merged) for transmission/radarr. I have 500 GB SSD just for docker and containers & 5 HDDs (4 10TB + 1 14TB) for media storage. I have been using plex/radarr/transmission with this setup for 2 months now no issues. I added 2 rsync jobs to sync datas between those 4 HDDs two days ago and that's when the problem started. I have already stopped rsync jobs. But still wait=IO is almost 90% whenever I try to move any files between disks. I looked into system drive its still at 5GB used with plenty of extra space. SMART all the HDDS/SSDs they are all good. One weird thing is there are lots of docker/overlay2/merged files when I check df -h.

Just want to get right path for troubleshooting. Still learning.

Please find the attachments for reference.

• Are the rsync jobs still running? this can take a long time if you sync the large drives.

ps axuf | grep rsync should tell or in the GUI Diagnostic -> System Information -> Proceses find rsync in the page

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• I already have tried stopping rsync. Completely deleted everything rsync, mergerfs. But still whenever I try yo move files wait-io is very high and transfer rate is super slow. I even tried to remove each disk to see if any one disk is causing it that didn't help. Even with one disk, samba transfer from my PC is taking ages. Image attached is the result of overnight rsync job.

• How did you stop the sync jobs? I guess you only disabled them.

Did you check the rsync processes are no longer existing

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• You can use iostat to find the disk causing the wait or iotop to finde the process affected

• These just shows whichever disk involved during the transfer. It can be any disk out of 5 whichever are involved during the data transfer. When there's no transfer process going on the values are 0.

Is there any way I can check if its due to OS partition malfunctioning?

• I don't know ho to do this, but you could stop the other processes and check disk by disk which one is causing the wait-io states.

Btw: are you running a desktop environment on the system? This is not officially supported., but dont think it is related to this specific problem.

• I have done one disk at time... the result's still the same... 0 when no transfer and almost 90 when on data transfer for all the disks. I just running 8 dockers ( plex, radarr, sonarr, prowlarr, krusader, transmission-openvpn,wireguard, etc).

Newbie Question: I'm doubting it might be the system drive. I'm going to try to restore OMV backup from the plugin to new drive.

Just in case if it doesn't work, Can I install brand new OMV os on new drive and keep all the docker configs as it is and resuse those configs to get back to same state where I was on the dockers ( for example Plex, radarr, transmission)??

• How did you configure the docker containers?

portainer, docker-compose docer via cli, ... ?

• I installed docker from OMV-extra on separate ssd, installed portainer. Installed all the containers through portainer, have the config files for each portainer on the ssd.

• so you moved the /var/lib/docker to the ssd. This will be kept when you re-install.

just remember to change the docker location (and save / apply) in the ui before instlling docker in the ui.

• I managed to reinstall new instance of OMV on new SSD. And restored all the dockers. It seems good with the wait-io issue being very low, I'll keep an eye on it.

It probably was a bad system hard drive.

• samarrs

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!