openmediavault-symlinks 6.0.3 generates symlinks in spite of error

• Folks, I have an issue with the Symlinks Plug-In.

OMV 6 beta and the 6.0.3 symlinks (probably beta too)

If I do it wrong, like getting mixed up what goes where in the interface to create a symlink or something along those lines (a ? hint ala "where the data is" and "where you want it to show up" (I made an error of judgment; I chose my native language on install, but the translation isn't complete, yea I know, BETA) could help, or a example in gray in the input fields that goes away as soon as one starts typing, I always seam to get them mixed up at first :) ), the plugin reports an error, then I do correct it of course, and then I finish the thing and end the plugins interface by safe. But then back in the overview all symlinks missed tries witch resulted in an "error" show up as well as the final good one and I have to delete them manually. Is this a known issue? Is it a feature rather than a bug but i just don't see the feature side?

ryecoaaron (for heads up purposes)

Thanks

Regards

Manne

• Offizieller Beitrag

the plugin reports an error

Forgive me if I didn't read all of your post - just first paragraph. What is the error? I use this plugin myself and it works well.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• sure, i try to get it short:

when i mix up source and destination or any other stuff it reports correctly an error like in this screen shot that the dir already exists

In this case i canceld the process.

but then see this in the summary page, the very symlink that was followed by an error is on the system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

but then see this in the summary page, the very symlink that was followed by an error is on the system.

That is because it is writing to the database before checking to see if the symlink already exists. I will change the plugin.

• mannebk

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

but the translation isn't complete,

The symlink plugin has never had translations.

6.0.4 is in the repo now with the change.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• The symlink plugin has never had translations.

6.0.4 is in the repo now with the change.

thats what I meant with "i made an error of judgment" because I did know that some stuff is not translated even in the stable version and did go with non English anyway. Dump, nothing else. *g*

On my new live systems I'll go back to all English including the distro.

• Offizieller Beitrag

thats what I meant with "i made an error of judgment" because I did know that some stuff is not translated even in the stable version and did go with non English anyway. Dump, nothing else. *g*

The plugin has approximately three words to translate - enabled, source, destination. Even if those were translated, I don't think it would tell you how to use it any better. The term symlink should not be translated. If you read and understand what a symlink is on Linux, I don't think the plugin requires any documentation. If it does, it belongs in a guide.

• I did not complain at all, and for sure I did not about the missing translation, I would not translate it at all, because I am quite fluent in English, I don't require any translations therefore, since its not in in Chinese or so. I just said I did made a judgment error on my side. by selecting my native language and ended with a mixed GUI and that's confusing, at least for me. But by no means I am the main user representation. There are lots of folks who need the translations, even if its only 3 words. However I agree that those 3 words likely do not require translation indeed.

I take a wild guess, most folks have probably never read their manual for a car or a coffee maker. But most folks are not a car mechanic or a professional barrister right? So how comes all those folks can operate them more or less good enough to get what they want? Probably because its self explanatory or got some hints or symbols that help you out where its not. What I singularly hate most and only on my Daikin A/Cs is that I need to read that 380 pages of manual to understand what its blinking at me in a wired code in a time where displays are not a cost factor at all and the remote got a 3 inch screen but does not tell me the thing the wall unit wants to tell me, also its duplex IR communication. And that on a system I did spent 30.000 bucks on to populate my house with it. Just saying.

So what I recommended was exactly that:

You got a good mouseover for e.g. on the plus symbol. why not have a short hint on source and destination? I understood from Volker that the main reason for the GUI is to have "average" users be able to run OMV, (otherwise the professionals could use the debian distro and CLI and have their file storage done for, its faster and more custom anyway) what you just told me is that the GUI (that was made for DAUs) is for admins and devs only, every one else would need to read the man page every time one wants to use it, of course there is no link to the man page, so the average users need to first find that one, thats where most folks just unroll the middle finger and go some place else, and thats where the 2,33% of Linux market share in desktops does come from. Google fixed that with android. and that lead to a market share of 75%. Its what the famous Bill did with Windows back in the old days too.

On a side note I remember Linus Torvalds just ranting on for a long time on a recent convention how Linux developers develop for Linux developers and administrators and not for users :) and that thats one of the reasons nobody uses Linux based desktop systems; as in Windows 75%, Apple 15% Linux 2,33% (late of ende of 2021). If I recall it right, he got kicked off on the libraries mess in Linux and that this will change now due to games and graphics and how hes gona handle the stuff in the kernel in future. According to Linus either the distros adjust or they will more or less vanish, was his prediction. One of the lashing boys where the debian folks, btw. and he kind of pointed out that this debian thing was the reason why Ubuntu is so popular, as they dont go to the debian extremiteies.

So long story short: better usability for folks who have no clue, makes the product available to more folks. I have had HPE, Dell, Synology, QNAP, FreeNAS, so basically I had em all, but I got stuck for years now with OMV, why? Because its good interface, its the very only reason (aside from being free and not collecting my data, but I would pay for OMV, and my companies did donate to the project and will so in future). So whats the matter to make it even better?

This mouse over is two lines of code, it probably will never change aside from porting to a new code base. Unfortunately I am no coder otherwise I would just submit it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

how Linux developers develop for Linux developers and administrators and not for users

Do you know why that is? Well at least in my case, I am horrible at writing things that noobs understand. You may think it is easy to just add a line giving a noob a hint but I look at it and think there is nothing I can add to explain it better. Someone else might be able to write a paragraph about it.

what you just told me is that the GUI (that was made for DAUs) is for admins and devs only,

No, I didn't. I said the three terms in the symlinks plugin didn't need translation and that additional docs for this plugin belong in a guide. I did not say that for all plugins and everything OMV. The reason I said that is that symlinks are very foreign concept to Windows users/noobs and OMV 6 isn't particularly easy to add large amounts of text. And when it is in a plugin, I have to maintain it (not good for noobs) which takes my limited time I have to maintain the code.

whats the matter to make it even better?

Try to remember how many people work on this project. One person on OMV and one person on omv-extras. And these two projects are separate projects.

This mouse over is two lines of code, it probably will never change aside from porting to a new code base. Unfortunately I am no coder otherwise I would just submit it.

Instead of just telling me it is easy to fix and just a couple of lines, why not suggest what that hint should say? And just because the hint is there in english doesn't mean someone on transifex is going to translate it. I have also seen people never notice the mouseovers.

• Indeed, your right, I have the very same problem explaining stuff to other guys, eg. why one should have such a hint :) for me its obvious that there is missing something that would help a noob user. But I cant seam to explain that without getting the coding folks pissed off.

as you asked for, I actually did recommend a "suggestiv text" and also that a link to the "man page" would be nice, if one exists at all, but probably with the hint, there is no need for the man page.

Probably I messed it up by burring the suggestions somewhere in my text.

sorry I have to go look at my symlink tab again or I get it mixed up again... can't seam to remember such stuff, probably because I use it just once in a while.

For source: " Hint: Where the data is located, that you want to link to. e.g. /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxx/what-ever-the-share-name/ "

For destination: "Hint: Where you want the data to show up, followed by "/name-it-should-have-there/" e.g. /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxx/what-ever-the-destination/name-it-should-have-there/ "

I would think this is enough detailing even for a noob, at least for me it is, and I cant remember where to put one or the other.

The reason this is so confusing is, from a users view, the words for source and destination could just be used the other way round and still would make sense. Because as a user: where I want it is the source of the link, and it flows to the destination where the data is. Of course a administrator sees it from the other side of the mirror.

your probably right, I dont recall mouse over on a tablet. so probably you should put the recommended hint-text in behind "source" and "destination" see picture.

You probably will have to shorten my suggestion somehow.

I gladly point such things out to you on omv-extras stuff, if you like. I am kind of a noob so I still see it from a user perspective as I have to explain a lot of the stuff to users. Depends if you like to get such stuff pointed out. I also would gladly put some recommendations in how to make suggestions to the user. Mostly it would be examples, as this usually explains how it should look, and most folks are able to modify an example to suit them.

Regards

Manne

• Offizieller Beitrag

for me its obvious that there is missing something that would help a noob user. But I cant seam to explain that without getting the coding folks pissed off.

I'm not pissed off. I just never thought the simplest plugin available for OMV would cause so much pain and discussion. In my dream world, people would see symlink in the plugin title and google it. Maybe read a few pages to understand why they want to use that plugin....

I actually did recommend a "suggestiv text"

For source: " Hint: Where the data is located, that you want to link to. e.g. /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxx/what-ever-the-share-name/ "

For destination: "Hint: Where you want the data to show up, followed by "/name-it-should-have-there/" e.g. /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxx/what-ever-the-destination/name-it-should-have-there/ "

I guess you are just a more verbose person than me. The word source with a directory chooser tells me the same thing. The example path will probably make noobs think they can only symlink things in /srv/dev-disk... They also don't always get translated properly.

also that a link to the "man page" would be nice,

I have tried pointing noobs at man page for years and it is very rarely helpful. No one wants to read them. For the a plugin, pointing at the ln man page might be helpful to some but most plugins are not just one command.

I gladly point such things out to you on omv-extras stuff, if you like. I am kind of a noob so I still see it from a user perspective as I have to explain a lot of the stuff to users. Depends if you like to get such stuff pointed out. I also would gladly put some recommendations in how to make suggestions to the user. Mostly it would be examples, as this usually explains how it should look, and most folks are able to modify an example to suit them.

I'm open to changes in hints but these long examples get difficult due to translation issues and minimal formatting ability in a hint.

• Short:

source; where the data really is

destination; where it should show up

and btw. its partly translated to German at least.

I know translations s**k, I try since years to fix a translation for a Chinese ip cam manufacturer, they wont give out the map what field on their translation table goes to where, so I have to try and enter some thing, and then see where it changed in the web ui. its a real PITA, but this here just got me some idea, I just will have them number each field instead of putting my translation in and then I could cross reference the web ui and the translations table and get a usable translation done. thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

• I have an github account but have no right to edit the file. Here is the translation for German

• Thanks for those hints about source and destination. That always confused me.

Also, the file browser being non-scrollable remains for me. But the workaround is simple enough.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here is the translation for German

The translations are updated via transifex - https://www.transifex.com/open…s/openmediavault-symlinks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for those hints about source and destination. That always confused me.

Source is the first argument and destination is the second argument of ln -s

ln -s source destination

Also, the file browser being non-scrollable remains for me. But the workaround is simple enough.

I don't know how to fix this but I don't think it is the plugin causing it. Maybe a future update of angular will fix it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!