Simple way to move Shares from Synology NAS to my new OMV Setup?

• Hello,

On my Synology NAS I have different shares with files (overall ~16TB) and I want to move some of the folders to a new structure on my OMV System.

I need a simple solution like "take this path and copy it to that path on my omv. For sure this copy process should be protected against errors :)

What I tried is hyper backup on Synology with a rsync server on OMV - that works but it will only copy a backup file. But I want the real folders on my OMV.

I m a complete newbie to this topics. Thank you in adavance!

• Yes I can activate rsync on Synology but how do I procceed? If i try to create a rsync pull job on OMV then there is no path selection. I can only configure the path on OMV but not for the source. See screenshot attached.

I am not sure this is the easyiest way for approx 20 one time copy jobs.

2nd Option:

I installed remotemount but it does not work:

If I want to save it on OMV it shows the following error

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; omv-salt deploy run --no-color fstab 2>&1' with exit code '1': raspberrypi: ---------- ID: create_filesystem_mountpoint_d361fb77-212e-49f2-bcfa-8cac2000c3e5 Function: file.accumulated Result: True Comment: Accumulator create_filesystem_mountpoint_d361fb77-212e-49f2-bcfa-8cac2000c3e5 for file /etc/fstab was charged by text Started: 16:32:04.612512 Duration: 2.371 ms Changes: ---------- ID: mount_filesystem_mountpoint_d361fb77-212e-49f2-bcfa-8cac2000c3e5 Function: mount.mounted Name: /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-141f01a4-5b03-4f6e-8767-8cac55fd3baa Result: True Comment: Target was already mounted Started: 16:32:04.616987 Duration: 297.579 ms Changes: ---------- umount: Forced remount because options (user_xattr) changed ---------- ID: create_remotemount_mountpoint_8bec11b3-9bea-46b1-ad82-53c63c891770 Function: file.accumulated Result: True Comment: Accumulator create_remotemount_mountpoint_8bec11b3-9bea-46b1-ad82-53c63c891770 for file /etc/fstab was charged by text Started: 16:32:04.915263 Duration: 3.571 ms Changes: ---------- ID: mount_filesystem_mountpoint_8bec11b3-9bea-46b1-ad82-53c63c891770 Function: mount.mounted Name: /srv/8bec11b3-9bea-46b1-ad82-53c63c891770 Result: False Comment: mount error(112): Host is down Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) Started: 16:32:04.919243 Duration: 117.718 ms Changes: ---------- ID: append_fstab_entries Function: file.blockreplace Name: /etc/fstab Result: True Comment: No changes needed to be made Started: 16:32:05.039971 Duration: 12.482 ms Changes: Summary for raspberrypi ------------ Succeeded: 4 (changed=1) Failed: 1 ------------ Total states run: 5 Total run time: 433.721 ms
  • Use the openmediavault-remotemount plugin

[How-to] Use the openmediavault-remotemount plugin

• Options: Normally leave it as is. It is possible that in some case it is necessary to change the samba protocol to 2 instead of 3 vers=2.0

Take a look at this. If it hasn't changed since I last used Synology, you will need the samba 2 protocol.

When the folder is mounted you can run a local rsync job from OMV. OMV will see the folder as if it were on the file system.

Given the permissions that those files that come from Synology will have, I would use this in the rsync job options:

--chmod=0775 --chown=root:users

Another option is to fix the permissions later with the openmediavault-resetperms plugin.

[How-to] Use the openmediavault-resetperms plugin

• Error Message:

Code
     Host is down Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

and inside the rsync window the source host looks strange. Probably should be admin@192.168.178.22:/path/to/data admin being the user name on the synology box.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here and write up your solution for others.

• If you want to do it with option 2, you don't have to set up a pull job. It is solved with a local job, from shared folder to shared folder within OMV (previous remote mounting) according to my publication Nº5.

If you prefer to follow the extraction path from an rsync module, as per my post # 2, try to resolve the extraction configuration by fixing the error as directed by Zoki .

Do not mix the two concepts, they are different.

• Hello, thanks a lot!

Remotemount works now, but I needed to switch to vers=1.0

Is there any chance to open the webinterface an get a status of running rsync jobs? (Percantage, Speed etc)

• Remotemount works now, but I needed to switch to vers=1.0

Is there any chance to open the webinterface an get a status of running rsync jobs? (Percantage, Speed etc)

Be careful. Samba version 1 is very unsafe. I would remove that connection after the copy.

It can only be viewed in the GUI window. If you log out, the job will continue to run in the background. There is no possibility to see the progress.

• The rsync job writes its log messages to /var/log/rsync.log (common file for all rsync processes running).

To get an idea of what is going on, log into your server and tail -f /var/log/rsync.log ^C to exit the log display.

How much it shows depends on the config you did.

Be careful not to enable to much logging or your root disk will fill up with loads of messages. if this happenes, set the quiet flag in the job definition (I have multiple GB of logs, when syncing 2TB disks).

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here and write up your solution for others.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!