docker and portainer ip question

• hi all,

i have a question.

I have searched goofgle and i'm not sure if i'm understanding this correctly.

i have a fresh install of omv6, i installed docker and portainer, i have made no changes to docker.

i open portainer and create an account.

i run a stack for qbittorrent.

portainer shows it's running but i'm unable to load the qtorrent page.

when i open the stack it shows i'm using ip 172.18.0.2 (this is to connect to docker?

tnx

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't use qtorrent, but the port is this

ports:
    - 8081:8080
    - 51411:51411
    - 51411:51411/udp

http://[your_server_IP]:8081

• Offizieller Beitrag

will this add the config folder or do i need to add it forst?

Docker can create a folder level. In this case there should be at least the appdata folder.

Take a look here, these questions are answered in this guide. [How to] Prepare OMV to install docker applications

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't have to add your local IP inside the container. The container works on a subnet. That subnet exposes a port to the outside of the container (the host). From your network you access the defined port through the host.

I try to explain it in a simple way, maybe I can't ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should be able to access the container by typing this in a browser,

http://192.168.1.80:8081

but that stack you posted I think has other bugs. I could not say because I do not use that application.

Maybe gderf can help you, I think he uses qbittorrent.

• i saw i posted under ports 8081:8080.

that was a typo on here not in my stack.

but i could have other issue's as this is my first time using stacks.

i've played with this for a while and really like the idea of sym links and getting docker and docker configs on another drive.

as it's a new install i dont mind reinstalling it's not a lengthy thing to do.

i really need to read more up on using stacks. it still shows on on ip 172.18.0.2

i'm clearly missing something.

thanks for the guide above.

• Offizieller Beitrag

See if I can explain it in another way. Docker "tricks" the application. He puts it to work inside a container. The application "lives" inside as if it were installed on a PC by itself, it is actually similar to a virtual machine, but simpler. Through the stack we allow a series of folders to be seen from the container as if they were inside. Also the ports that interest us. What is to the left of ":" is what is outside the container, what is to the right is what is inside. If you define this:

5500: 80

and then you type in your browser the IP of your host and port 5500 you are actually accessing the internal port 80 of the container.

• Post the stack as it is now. Use cut-and-paste, so we see the real thing and put it inside a code box </>

Blank VPN_USERNAMEN, VPN_PASSWORD

Post the IP of your OMV

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• I use the same marcusmcnugen image.

Also, the qbittorrent portion of the container will not start without the VPN up and running. So look in the container log to be sure.

EDIT:

Below is my working stack.

EDIT 2:

I could never get this working using different ports on the host and container side like 8081:8080

I could also never get this working using a docker run command, it had to be a stack. I didn't try using docker-compose though.

Don't attach a question to your volume statement like that.

Your second volume statement is incomplete.

Obfuscation of PUID and PGID is pointless.

Good luck.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• well i'm not having much success here, here is my latest stack. portainer shows my ip as 172.19.0.2. my server ip is 192.168.1.100

here are the logs for the vpn.

• Ok after some googling, seems docker is defaulting to 172 private ip where my network is a 192 private ip range. why would docker not be bridging to my current setup? it's also very possible ive missed something as well.

• just looking through omv6 networking.

if i go to network / interfaces i see eno1 is the device.

method ipv4 but it's blank, i'm including a picture.

now if i click on details it's shows me the correct ip of omv. not sure if this is expected behavior.

• Offizieller Beitrag

just looking through omv6 networking.

if i go to network / interfaces i see eno1 is the device.

method ipv4 but it's blank, i'm including a picture.

now if i click on details it's shows me the correct ip of omv. not sure if this is expected behavior.

Your network configuration in OMV is DHCP. This means that when the server starts it asks for an IP assignment over the network. In your network there is a DHCP server (usually the router), which responds to this request and assigns it an IP address. If the router has a default IP address for your interface and it is always the same (192.168.1.100) you may be fine.

Normally the network configuration in OMV is changed to static. In this way you manually define the parameters, and when the server starts it always uses the IP that you have defined. If you prefer to do it this way, you must edit the interface configuration and enter the following parameters:

Method: Static

Address: 192.168.1.100 (The IP you want to use)

Netmask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (The IP of your router, it could also be 192.168.1.0, make sure of this)

DNS: Here you can use your ISP's DNS, or generic DNS, for example 8.8.8.8 is google's, or 1.1.1.1 is cloudflare's

Before doing this make sure that your router does not assign your server a different IP automatically.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ports:
    - 8081:8081
    - 51419:51419
    - 51419:51419/udp

I don't use this wrapper, so I'm not sure about the following, but I'd say this should look something like this:

- WEBUI_PORT_ENV=8080 #optional

ports:

- 8081:8080

- 51419:51419

- 51419:51419/udp

Port 51419 must be open on the router and forwarded to 192.168.1.100 on TCP and UDP

You should be able to access the qbittorrent webui by typing in a browser http://192.168.1.100:8081

• so i use my router to assign my static ip's.

here is what i did this morning.

removed portainer, removed docker (using omv gui).

restarted omv, then added a static ip in the omv gui. restarted omv.

installed docker and then portainer.

if i log into portainer and check network list, portainer shows bridge connection as ipv4 subnet 172.17.0.0/16 and gateway 172.17.0.1.

should this not be 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.1.1

• Docker creates network brdges and uses 172.x.x.x network adresses in there.

This is not your problem. Your problem is that nothing is listening on port 8080 (or what you configured inside the container WEBUI_PORT_ENV).

Log into the container and check if something is listening on port 8080 / whatever using netstat -tulpen or do a ps -xaf to see if a web server is running.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Docker creates network brdges and uses 172.x.x.x network adresses in there.

This is not your problem. Your problem is that nothing is listening on port 8080 (or what you configured inside the container WEBUI_PORT_ENV).

Log into the container and check if something is listening on port 8080 / whatever using netstat -tulpen or do a ps -xaf to see if a web server is running.

nothing was using port 8081.

Ok changed the webui port to 8080 and it works.

guess qbittorrent-vpn does not like port 8081.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!