collectd configuration

• Hi there!

I'm running OMV 5.6.23-1. I cannot see any statistics build/generated by rrdcached/collectd.

The problem is (I think) collectd configuration:

Is there a place where it can be changed (every "apply changes" will overwrite changes made to collectd.conf file) "globally"?

• Well, it is quite old installation (I've started from OMV 3.x as I remember) but I can't remember that I have done any customization - but I cannot be 100% sure.

My template Jinja file looks pretty the same as the one you linked:

so the uname -n has to be originated from other place (???).

• There is also one more file etc-collectd_collectd.conf.j2 located in /var/cache, but it also looks pretty good:

• Nope it does not change the content of /etc/collectd/collectd.conf file (see attachment).

result.zip

What I can tell, it is strange that it shows information for openmediavault.lipowa54.local hostname - it should be openmediavault.lipowa54.home (I have changed my local domain long time ago, and I do change hostname on OMV side too):

Code
    ❯ cat /etc/hosts
    # This file is auto-generated by openmediavault (https://www.openmediavault.org)
    # WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will get lost.
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    127.0.1.1 openmediavault.lipowa54.home openmediavault

Maybe this is a problem?

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, at some time you have tried to customize the environment variable OMV_COLLECTD_HOSTNAME because uname -n outputs the hostname. Please execute omv-env get | grep HOSTNAME and something like OMV_COLLECTD_HOSTNAME=`uname -n` should be displayed.

Please run omv-env unset OMV_COLLECTD_HOSTNAME and omv-salt stage run prepare; omv-salt deploy run collectd to fix the issue.

• I found this in /etc/default folder:

So it looks like an update change the default settings. Removing OMV_COLLECTD_HOSTNAME=`uname -n` from the file DOES NOT change the situation. After reboot and run omv-salt deploy run collectd rrdcached there is still strange entry in /etc/collectd/collectd.conf and the "uname -n" catalog name.

ps.

I found that old domain name was stored in /etc/salt/minion_id - after changing it omv-salt command shows correct FQDN of my OMV installation.

• OK, at some time you have tried to customize the environment variable OMV_COLLECTD_HOSTNAME because uname -n outputs the hostname. Please execute omv-env get | grep HOSTNAME and something like OMV_COLLECTD_HOSTNAME=`uname -n` should be displayed.

Please run omv-env unset OMV_COLLECTD_HOSTNAME and omv-salt stage run prepare; omv-salt deploy run collectd to fix the issue.

I post my previous message because I haven't seen you post (timing). Now collectd.conf file looks much better after running commands you proposed and I can see that statistics are collected. Thanks for your help!

Questions:

1. Do I have to recover content of /etc/salt/minion_id to previous value?

2. Correct me if I'm wrong: omv-env unset OMV_COLLECTD_HOSTNAME removed OMV_COLLECTD_HOSTNAME from /etc/default/openmediavault permanently and It will persist between restarts.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It seems so, but i didn't find it in the file that is installed by the package.

Doesn't matter, we need to fix it either way.

Please run omv-env get and verify that there is no OMV_COLLECTD_HOSTNAME listed.

Force Salt to update its internal pillar data: omv-salt stage run prepare

Finally rebuild ALL configurations: omv-salt stage run deploy

• votdev

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • votdev

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!