zfs plugin install fails on fresh OMV6 and how to fix it

• I just tried OMV6 on a fresh install but had to find i broke it.

This is what I did:

• install debian bullseye via netinst ISO (11.2.0, amd64)
    • install omv with the install script sudo wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash
    • without any further configuration go to Plugins
    • select openmediavault-zfs and click on install
      • An error message is displayed, but the plugin is marked as installed
      • zfs is not visable in storage menu

What happened:

• After the install debian is on kernel Linux omv6-test 5.10.0-10-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.84-1 (2021-12-08) x86_64 GNU/Linux 
    • Install of openmediavault-zfs (or it's dependencies) assume a different kernel and install linux-headers-5.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
    • this results in the zfs module not being built
    • apt marked as dirty module in omv (so will try to salt run deploy apt every time you change something in the UI regaring packages)

How to resolve:

• on the cli
      • purge openmediavault-zfs icluding dependencies
        apt-get remove --autoremove openmediavault-zfs
      • update / upgade to latest kernel (did not work for me on the UI because of a kept back linux-image-amd43)
        apt-get update  apt-get upgrade (I had to apt-get full-upgrade, as the image was held back, but apt-get install linux-image-amd64 might have worked too
    • reboot
    • In the UI
      • install openmediavault-zfs again

How to avoid:

• Do an update to the latest packages before
    • reboot
    • intall openmediavault-zfs

I wonder what will happen on the next kernel update

ryecoaaron: Probably the install should not run, if the most recent kernel is not used.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

An error message is displayed, but the plugin is marked as installed
    zfs is not visable in storage menu

This happened to me when I tried this in a VM, I redeployed, but installed the pve kernel (remove other kernels) and on ryecoaaron's suggestion disabled backports, the zfs plugin installed without errors.

EDIT: have to install the kernel plugin to install the pve kernel

• Yes, this is a workaround. I know my way around, but consider the amount of threads once OMV6 gets stable.

If zfs is only supported with the proxmox kernel, the install should fail earlier with a clear message and not show as installed.

Will a preinst work, so that apt does not consider the package as installed?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Probably the install should not run, if the most recent kernel is not used.

There is nothing I can do to fix this. The plugin depends on linux-headers-amd64 which depends on linux-image-amd64 already. If someone choose to not update before installing, then the apt dependencies has problems since linux-headers-amd64 and linux-image-amd64 are meta packages that have moving pointers to different versions. Locking the plugin to a specific version of the backports kernel will be a nightmare to maintain. I am really trying to not force the use of the proxmox kernel but it definitely is the best choice. It has always been a pain to use the backports kernel for zfs because of the module needing to be compiled. Debian releases a new backports kernel quite often that is too new for the version of zfs in backports. The plugin really can't fix that problem. I'm open to suggestions but zfs will continue to challenging to use unless Debian adds zfs to the kernel like Ubuntu.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What you are saying is, even if we had a check upon installing the zfs plugin, it will break when a new kernel appears in backports, which is to new for the zfs version. So this does not help, I see.

I need to think a bit of what options we have. Force proxmox kernel for zfs?

Thanks for your insight.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Force proxmox kernel for zfs?

I've been trying not to do that since the plugin does work with the backports kernel. It just needs some hand holding. So, I really don't know what the best option is.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I've been trying not to do that since the plugin does work with the backports kernel. It just needs some hand holding. So, I really don't know what the best option is.

You are not allone

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wonder what will happen on the next kernel update

and on ryecoaaron's suggestion disabled backports

There is nothing I can do to fix this. The plugin depends on linux-headers-amd64 which depends on linux-image-amd64 already. If someone choose to not update before installing, then the apt dependencies has problems since linux-headers-amd64 and linux-image-amd64 are meta packages that have moving pointers to different versions. Locking the plugin to a specific version of the backports kernel will be a nightmare to maintain. I am really trying to not force the use of the proxmox kernel but it definitely is the best choice. It has always been a pain to use the backports kernel for zfs because of the module needing to be compiled. Debian releases a new backports kernel quite often that is too new for the version of zfs in backports. The plugin really can't fix that problem. I'm open to suggestions but zfs will continue to challenging to use unless Debian adds zfs to the kernel like Ubuntu.

I had ZFS working with Linux kernel 5.14.0 with backports enabled. Several updates appeared in the GUI, among them were updates to kernel 5.15.2. After applying updates everything was updated except the kernel. I tried apt update from CLI and it didn't update either. I can look this up in the log if it's of interest to anyone.

I finally installed the proxmox kernel and disabled backports and everything works fine now.

My question is: What is the reason for the advice to disable backports in the proxmox kernel? Do I have to modify this in the future at some point?

• chente

Hat das Label OMV 6.x (RC1) hinzugefügt.
  • I think the reason is allways the same. The zfs module needs to be recompiled fpr each new kernel, so ti installs the headers, but as the headers do not carry the kernel version with them, you get the wrong headers and it can not compile. This is easily fixed by installing headers for a given kernel version, but apt is not intelligent enough to do this automatically.

I am to lazy for that and stay with proxmox kernels.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am to lazy for that and stay with proxmox kernels.

I think the same, I'm too lazy to walk with problems every time, that's why I also installed proxmox.

My question is about backports, I don't know if I have to be aware of enabling it at some point or not.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the reason for the advice to disable backports in the proxmox kernel? Do I have to modify this in the future at some point?

The main reason to enable backports is to get the backports kernel. If you are using the proxmox kernel, you don't need the backports kernel and don't need backports enabled. One less repo to sync then.

• Just run into same zfs problem with upgrade. Decided to disable backports and install the kernel plugin and install proxmox kernel.

Hopefully after that can install zfs without issues.

After install the kernel package installing the proxmox i see it in the list 5.15.12-1-pve and its set as default but when i reboot it still boots the 5.10 kernel

UPDATE: ok finally got it working my problem was an not updated grub config, as i boot from a sd-card that boots the ssd (hp microserver)

Happy now with proxmox kernel and zfs

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!