How to create per user backup directories?

• Hi I am new to OpenMediaVault, I want to create several shares but unsure how to proceed, what permissions to give etc. I have a media server Jellyfin for which I use sonarr, lidarr and radarr for managing the content, I also have a torrent client and other services like document organizer (paperless-ng), photo gallery (piwigo) and so on. I want a share for these services and want several different per user shares, so only the user can access those directories. Here is a layout overview of what I need,

The user shares I want several different services NFS and SMB. What do I need for this kind of layout?

I am also open to other suggestions or layout.

• Just create a share Backup-User1 and give it a relative pat h/backup/user1, the same for user 2 backup-user2 share relative path /backup/user2.

These shares can have the permissions of the users and that's it.

Do not use a common path for private shares. or use user homes (have not tried with NFS)

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Just create a share Backup-User1 and give it a relative pat h/backup/user1, the same for user 2 backup-user2 share relative path /backup/user2.

These shares can have the permissions of the users and that's it.

Do not use a common path for private shares. or use user homes (have not tried with NFS)

Setting the right permission is not very clear, there are multiple places where I can change permission and its not clear if there is some difference or not. For example, here are the shares I created, I set the path for both users as backup/user.

2022-01-16-21-10.png

there are two button on the top where I can change permissions for a share when I highlight it. Clicking on the the first button shows this page,

2022-01-16-21-11.pngnow I can set Read/Write here for user1 and no access for user2. Now if the click the second button this menu shows up with even more options,

2022-01-16-21-11-1.pngwhat do I have to change here now? or should I leave everything default here? I only want user1 to access its own share and no one else same for user2.

Also under the user management, there is this button which shows another menu for permission,

2022-01-16-21-12.pngclicking on this button shows this menu,

2022-01-16-21-12-1.png

• In OMV5 it says this for privileges on shared folers:

The filesystem permissions are set when creating a shared folder:

So you set up the share with admin w/r users r/w, other no

and provide privileges to each users share to his Backup share.

Do not use the ACLs (access controll lists) aka the complicated menu

OMV looks different, but is the same under the hood.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Ok so I created the share with admin r/w users r/w other no access, and for each share I gave the appropriate user the correct permissions. It seems to work fine, I can mount SMB shares, but NFS doesn't seem to work. Though after doing some research I found out that I have to add export string after the IP, like nfs://serverIP/export Why is it that? Can this be changed?

Also I have a couple of Apple devices at my house, on the iPhone I can mount the SMB share but I cannot seem to copy from or to the share. It keeps giving me this error,

2022-01-17-03-23.png

Also what permission should I give the Media share, which I only want the Jellyfin server to access? Like the users don't need to access the share directly but through Jellyfin only and download client as it has to place files in the media share. Should the users be just read only?

• just create a jellyfin user and do what you did with the other users alike.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!