Any system to full settings import / export on the way ?

• Hi. As I see, OpenMediaVault this is not 0.1 or 0.5 or or even 0.99 version but version 5, almost 6.
    So, is there any fully functional tool to export all settings from currently installed OMV and import it on a fresh OMV installation?
    After broken OMV drive replaced to another or after OMV just reinstall, or installed new release of OMV?

As I see there is no build in functionality to import / export settings.
    Is this really possible to have no import / export functionality @ software / solution V5 or even v6 ?

Export / import tool should be possible to make at list fstab, shared folders, users with their passwords and their privileges.

Any news here?

• I've been with OMV since V2 and this feature has been frequently asked for, and most certainly been asked for well before ever I got here.

I don't recall when I first read something from votdev I believe, that suggested that the feature was planned for a not too distant release.

But we're all still waiting, most of us quite patiently and extremely thankful for what we have.

The only way I could ever provide a real definitive answer with an actual date on it would to be able to offer my help by making what would have to be a very large and complex set of code contributions. I wish I could.

In the meantime if you are properly protected with a known to be restorable backup of your OMV there is no reason to be a victim to a totally lost system. Even if you can't extract all the settings and import them to a fresh install, you can still get the same result with the restoration, even if you have no idea at all what the settings were.

You can also use these backups to make a copy of your OMV to attempt an upgrade to the next release without actually risking your current running copy of the system. I do this and have never ever been a victim to a situation where I couldn't get back to exactly where I was yesterday, or up to seven days ago.

As for what the settings are, you can read the config.xml file. Not the most user friendly view, but it's all there even if all you can do with it is look at it. Even if I didn't have an actual copy of that file all by itself I can extract it by hand from my dd backup images. I can extract the file from different daily backups and run diffs on them to see what changed day to day whether I made any changes or not.

In the meantime, this strategy has amplified my patience in waiting for the feature we all want and need.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I know this is a often asked feature, but be sure that it would have been already implemented if it would be simple. You all should also know that i hate to implement immature implementations in OMV. I do the complete project in my spare time, so i can only say that features are done when they are done.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've been with OMV since V2 and this feature has been frequently asked for, and most certainly been asked for well before ever I got here.

Back during the first beta releases of OMV, this "feature" was there. I could be wrong, but I don't think it even made it to the 1.0 release before it was removed.

From what I can remember of my personal experience, the configuration backup seemed to work well. It was the restoration that was a problem. It frequently wrecked things, didn't work properly, etc. and often I ended up purging/reinstalling OMV and starting over anyway which basically destroyed the intent. I tested it multiple times and it never once worked properly. I'm assuming most had a similar experience as votdev pulled it. The feature works well in some other NAS operating systems, but unfortunately hasn't translated well to OMV. That was when imaging your OS drive became the recommended backup procedure.

As I've said many times, I've never backed up my OS drive, and never will. Since I've migrated almost everything to docker, doing clean installs is easy and probably faster than the image/restore process. When I clean installed 6 on Thursday.. it was 50min from booting the installer USB, to all my services, shares, jobs, etc. being back to normal. Probably would have been quicker but for 2 things.. For some reason the Debian servers were really slow during the initial install... and I cried for at least 10min because I couldn't use drive labels anymore :) (j/k). Now admittedly, before docker, those clean installs were a total PITA, and generally took me at least 2-3hrs.

• My dd OMV system drive backup images (16GB USB 3.0 stick) are done on cron so how slow or fast this is doesn't matter to me, but it's under seven minutes.

A restore to bare metal using a proper USB 3.0 stick takes under fifteen minutes but I don't recall the exact figure.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My dd OMV system drive backup images (16GB USB 3.0 stick) are done on cron so how slow or fast this is doesn't matter to me, but it's under seven minutes.

A restore to bare metal using a proper USB 3.0 stick takes under fifteen minutes but I don't recall the exact figure.

I wonder if I was doing something wrong, because when I tried to image my SSD, it was taking over an hour. I never tried to restore it.

Obviously backing up/restoring doesn't matter if I'm clean installing a new version, but I can see where it is useful to some in lieu of reinstalling.. just not for me.

• What did you use to image? I use this:

Code
    now=$(date +"%Y.%m.%d.%H.%M.%S")
    file="omv-6-$now.img"
    dd if=/dev/disk/by-id/usb-PNY_USB_3.0_FD_070B67D5A4B2D178-0:0 of=$file bs=1M status=progress

Prior to switching to a USB stick I used a 16GB 2.5 inch Samsung SSD in a USB case. That was considerably faster but all these times are so small to begin with they don't enter into the choice.

--

• Image is not the same as import export. If you have possibility to export all settings you are able just to install new OMV release from scratch and import all of your settings (e.g. more than 50 users, their passwords, their privileges, groups, their privileges, names for shared folders, steup for /etc/fstab and many many more).

OS image is usable until it works or is possible to be upgraded to a new release (illusuin of beeing save)
    With exported settings you could start your NAS even from the scratch if necessery (beeing save).

Of couse in every moment I could use e.g. the Clonezilla to make OMV image.

But this is not regarding the question asked in this thread ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

What did you use to image? I use this:

Code
    now=$(date +"%Y.%m.%d.%H.%M.%S")
    file="omv-6-$now.img"
    dd if=/dev/disk/by-id/usb-PNY_USB_3.0_FD_070B67D5A4B2D178-0:0 of=$file bs=1M status=progress

Prior to switching to a USB stick I used a 16GB 2.5 inch Samsung SSD in a USB case. That was considerably faster but all these times are so small to begin with they don't enter into the choice.

I used dd, but it's been so long if I told you what I did I'd probably be lying as it's been at least 5-6yrs ago. I wonder if by chance I didn't image my whole 64gig SSD, and that's why it was taking so long, vs just my root partition..

• Offizieller Beitrag

Image is not the same as import export. If you have possibility to export all settings you are able just to install new OMV release from scratch and import all of your settings (e.g. more than 50 users, their passwords, their privileges, groups, their privileges, names for shared folders, steup for /etc/fstab and many many more).

OS image is usable until it works or is possible to be upgraded to a new release (illusuin of beeing save)
    With exported settings you could start your NAS even from the scratch if necessery (beeing save).

Of couse in every moment I could use e.g. the Clonezilla to make OMV image.

But this is not regarding the question asked in this thread ;)

We know that, your question has been asked and answered. There's not much more to discuss about it.

• I used dd, but it's been so long if I told you what I did I'd probably be lying as it's been at least 5-6yrs ago. I wonder if by chance I didn't image my whole 64gig SSD, and that's why it was taking so long, vs just my root partition..

Using dd to image the rootfs partition won't copy the boot track, so the restored image will not boot.

There's a way to also use dd to grab that piece separately but I don't know what it is, never needed to do that. May also be a way to easily take that non-bootable rootfs partition restoration and clobber in a boot track.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

Using dd to image the rootfs partition won't copy the boot track, so the restored image will not boot.

There's a way to also use dd to grab that piece separately but I don't know what it is, never needed to do that. May also be a way to easily take that non-bootable rootfs partition restoration and clobber in a boot track.

Hmm, I don't know about any of that, but I've always liked the idea of clobbering something.. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…r/usr/sbin/omv-backup#L98

To fix, just dd the partition table and boot record back to the device before dd'ing the partition.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• When every major version of OMV is released, I always do a clean install. So yeah, would be nice to have the import/export feature, but it's okay for now.

I grab /etc/openmediavault/config.xml which contains all configurations and re-make them by hand. Depending on your system, in 1-2 hours you'll be back up and running as before.

I don't know how Salt works from behind the scenes, but the backup routine could export all relevant config states, to be imported later when needed. Probably the toughest part would be to figure out the correct order.

These assumptions might be totally wrong: I'm just thinking out loud!

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!