Used Haswell CPU advice

• Hi there.

I am currently running the two following PCs:

1. My desktop - MSI H67MA-E35 (B3), with 2x4GB Ram, an i3-2105, and running Windows 10

2. My backup server - MSI B85M-E45, with 2x2GB and 2x4GB Ram, G1850 and running Openmedia vault.

I literally use the server for back ups only - i.e. turn it on, run RSnapshot, and turn it off again.

I am currently working at home and have noted that my PC sometimes freezes for a bit - task manages shows 100% CPU usage.

That might be as I sometimes have Kodi running on my computer or Netflix whilst I am connect to my work, remotely.

It then suddenly occurred to me that I should swap the PCs over, which would give me the following benefits for my desktop:

1. The server MOBO supports a USB3 header

2. The server MOBO supports Windows 11

3. Extra 4GB Ram to play with

The only thing I need to do, however, is swap out the G1850 for something a bit better.

What do you think I should go for?

At first, I was hoping to put in a Broadwell CPU (as the MSI B85M-E45 uses the LGA1150 socket).

However, based upon this:

Comptible CPUs

I am a bit gutted to see that the board supports only Haswell and Haswell(Refresh).

I am also hoping that a new CPU will decrease my electricity bills a little - which have certainly increased whilst I have been working from home.

Thanks very much.

• new CPU will decrease my electricity bills a little

usually too little to notice :(

not sure to understand the concerns about Haswell and Haswell(Refresh) CPU. Would you like to elaborate?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Thanks for that.

Apologies - my earlier post was a bit vauge.

I was just wondering whether an increase from an i3-2105 to an i5 Haswell CPU (which I have found for only £10.00) would be worth the effort and also not increase my energy footprint too much.

The i3-2105 has a TDP of 65w, whereas the i5 Haswell chips have a TDP of 85w - I know, however, that TDP is not strictly a good indicator of energy use.

• TDP only matters if all cores are running at 100% load

Both an i3-4330T and i5-4570T have a TDP of 35W and 2 cores and 4 Threads

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• It is also depends what tasks you are doing. A low TDP CPU which largely stays idle yes will be good. On the other hand because they have less computing power, if you are doing something stressful they will take more to finish comparing with a more powerfull and with higher TDP CPU, meaning that the advantage will become from meaningless to 0.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!