RAID6 disappeared, could be assembled back together, left with drive removed and State : clean, degraded, resyncing

• Hi,

I lost my RAID weirdly. It was suddenly just gone.

I did the following things, output below in the code block

1. logged in and checked the status: inactive

2. tried to run the raid -> mdadm: failed to start array /dev/md/Storage: Input/output error

3. rebooted

4. tried to run the raid -> mdadm: failed to start array /dev/md/Storage: Input/output error

5. described array -> State : active, degraded, Not Started

6. stopped raid

7. assembled with the drives that were visible

8. RAID returned as State : clean, degraded, resyncing

9. Tried to add the remaining drive back in without success

Questions and ask for help and advise, thank you so much in advance for any pointers:

* What happened? Did my drive maybe just die?

* Why is the raid rebuilding, I would expect it just be degraded, but the rebuilding is worrying me

* What do I do next, I have new drives here, but what's the best order to proceed safely to add a new drive back in and bring it back to clean state?

Thank you so much for the support, I have been reading here for many years and always found help without need to start a new thread. Hoping someone can advise on next steps or pointers. Many thanks!

• Alright, I expected that as well. Currently just waiting, likely for another 14 hours, then I'll return with the state here. Thank you!

edit: I may be asking something very obvious - but the resync was unexpected to me. Why does it resync on a degraded state?

• Offizieller Beitrag

but the resync was unexpected to me. Why does it resync on a degraded state

With raid6 you have parity as your first post was somewhat confusing, whilst you appeared to start in the right direction with software raid you have to wait and confirm that each step has completed, basically what it's doing is checking/resyncing your data.

The problem is the more you stress it whilst it's working the worst things can become, you were throwing so many commands at it I'm surprised it didn't bork completely

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!