Changing from Ubuntu to OMV - will data on HDD be safe?

• Hi,

little background:
    I decided to buy low power consuming PC and make it home NAS server.

Following advice of my friend I installed Ubuntu 20 LTS desktop and installed all needed things like ssh, smb and jollyfin.
    I managed to set some -arr servers, but not all work well.

I also not happy that most stuff i must do via CLI - I'm just old windows user
    I run into OMV in internet and I'm curious can I install OMV on top of Ubuntu or fresh install but keep HDD with data untouched? will it work after OS change?

• I bought used HP Pavilion 570-a057ng with Intel Celeron J3355, 256 GB M2 SSD and 8 gigs of RAM.
    I only added 4TB HDD.

I have 2TB data on it, and I'm afraid to change OS, because i don't have backup yet.

• Install OMV onto an USB stick and make it boot from there. It is a waste to use the 256 GB ssd only for the OS.

To be safe, unplug the drives while doing the install. Even if you decide to install on the ssd as boot drive, unplug the data disk, bit then you loose everything on the ssd (probably /home directories).

Btw: You should never go without a backup, so this does not count:

I have 2TB data on it, and I'm afraid to change OS, because i don't have backup yet.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• You can not install to the same USB stick you have the ISO on, but you have to have two.

Having the server boot from different devices is just a matter of the bios settings.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!