Proxmox VS Bare Metal

• In another forum some guy wrote "Bare Mental", mistyping of course. I like the term. I've spend all day Saturday with Proxmox. Mighty thing. Noticed that advanced users in this forum are using it. I have two identical systems using OMV 6 (I3 tenth gen. 16 GB ram etc.), one for Plex, the other for backup. The second one can be good place to install some VM's, testing new Linux distros. I'm tempted to start from scratch with Proxmox and OMV like VM. Can somebody share the experience on the differences in real life. Thanx.

Media Server: OMV 7, Asrock J5040, 8gb Ram, Rad 2 disk (16+18 TBhdds), Backup: Gigabye MB, i3 8100, 16 GB Ram, Raid 0, (4x8TB hdds)

• I run OMV on Proxmox with physical disks mapped to the omv vm, i can not notice any performance difference to a bare metal installation if this is what you mean with experience.

Before I used proxmox i had a Debian kvm /libvirt hypervisor, this was also fine but not as comfortable as proxmox from an hypervisor view.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have used Proxmox for years. It is very good. But most of my system are now OMV 6.x with the KVM plugin. The KVM plugin is not as advanced as Proxmox but it is much simpler. Being a VMware admin by trade, I can say most of things it is missing are not typically needed (like clustering). But I agree that the performance of OMV on bare metal vs OMV in a VM on proxmox (even with virtual disks) is very close. Both options are good.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The whole thing in my story searching OMV alternative started with network. I have two lans. Motherboard lan is 2.5 gb, the second one is usb 3 to one gb lan. 2.5 gb lan connected directly to backup nas, so nas2nas. Every time after finishing backup the main nas was losing connection on usb lan, which I'm using for web gui and updating OMV. So moving server to another room, connecting monitor, omv-firstaid and so on. Managing network in Proxmox is a very powerfull. On Truenas the whole thing (recognizing subnet etc) is straightforward. On OMV things worked but it is not reliable. Somehow I like OMV more than Truenas and then I started thinking about Proxmox.

Media Server: OMV 7, Asrock J5040, 8gb Ram, Rad 2 disk (16+18 TBhdds), Backup: Gigabye MB, i3 8100, 16 GB Ram, Raid 0, (4x8TB hdds)

• I am running OMV on VMWare ESXi. Works well and makes lot of thngs easier (take snapshot before installing anything or doing an upgrade).

But it has other challenges like doing backups and knowledge.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• My scenario was to make cluster in Proxmox, main nas and backup in cluster for replication, snapshot even proxmox backup on fast (2.5 GB lan), and while backup nas is almost all the time idle using it for another thing. OMV in Proxmox is running with one cpu and 2 gigs of ram acceptable for backup.

• Ask yourself, how you backup the proxmox installation and al it's storage. And don't tell me it is on the OMV( running on top of proxmox).

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• It is too easy to create a loop in the backup system and if one thing fails you do not know how to bootsteap again.

• I wont go in to what platform, how much performance you loose running what on where... but I must say running OMV (or anything else for that matter) as a VM makes backup and configuration much simpler.

If you need to change something that you are not so sure of use a snapshot or checkpoint or what ever you wanna call it, make the change and if things go bad just go back to the snapshot/checkpoint..

If the VM is backed up everything in that VM is backed up and configured just like it was when the VM was backed up, so a restore operation of the whole thing (or moving to different hardware) is sooo simple.

But there are also downsides to this, usually when you backup a VM its hard to exclude certain things from the VM that you normally would not backup - so if you have a large scratch space, temporary files and what not - those would be included too...

I run OMV on my Windows machine as a Hyper-V VM, every week I have powershell script that backs it up to another disk and that works just fine for me.

Then again, I don't have any specific needs for performance and do not need to get everything I can out of the hardware I have, just a simple OMV that shares some files and some light containers that run pretty simple things.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the only purpose of all this is to have backup copies of OMV, in my opinion it is exaggerated. There are other simpler ways.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ZFS, Backup and, most important managing lans. Post no. 4 In this thread.

How is the network config/managing lans on proxmox more powerful than OMV? I know them both well.

Since you can use the proxmox kernel on OMV, zfs is the same on OMV and proxmox.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

What about energy use? Is it more efficient to run baremetal? I am personally looking for a system to run OMV and docker.

Unless you are running OMV on a very inefficient hypervisor, it shouldn't make any difference. Lots of people are running OMV and docker on an RPi. So, just about anything OMV runs on can do what you want.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!