Can't setup RAID on Argon Eon NAS

• Hi

I have just received an Argon Eon Raspberry Pi based NAS unit with 4 1TB drives. I have OpenMediaVault running on it but although I can mount the disks, I can't set thme up as a RAID. I notice the message that RAID isn't allowed on USB dirves as they are too unreliable. Does this mean the OMV will never let me setup a RAID on a Pi powered devise as the disks have to be connected over the USB3 port? Is there anyway to over-ride this restriction and having a NAS with no ability to RAID is somewhat pointless.

Thanks

• I have just received an Argon Eon Raspberry Pi based NAS unit with 4 1TB drives. I have OpenMediaVault running on it but although I can mount the disks, I can't set thme up as a RAID. I notice the message that RAID isn't allowed on USB dirves as they are too unreliable. Does this mean the OMV will never let me setup a RAID on a Pi powered devise as the disks have to be connected over the USB3 port? Is there anyway to over-ride this restriction and having a NAS with no ability to RAID is somewhat pointless.

You can configure Raid with USB in CLI.

Raid with USB is not reliable, so it is not supported by OMV.

Raid is not necessary on a NAS, Raid is not a backup. It has other goals.

To back up data from a NAS you can use other systems, automated rsync, mergerfs + Snapraid, .........

• Is there anyway to over-ride this restriction and having a NAS with no ability to RAID is somewhat pointless.

If you knew the answer, you wouldn't be asking.

And since you're asking, then the answer is no.

• having a NAS with no ability to RAID is somewhat pointless

I would be interested to know why you believe that is the case.

NAS = Network Attached Storage

PC/Server/SBC + Hard Drives/s with appropriate shares connected to a LAN (Local Area Network) = NAS

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!