omv-release-upgrade indicates '0 upgraded', OMV is gone

• Was running OMV5 v5.6.24-1 (worked without issue; all pending updates were installed), and ran omv-release-ugprade to upgrade to OMV6 after checking all installed plugins had upgrades (only openmediavault-unionfilesystems was missing and indicated as "moved to openmediavault-mergerfs"):

Output of omv-release-upgrade = omv-release-upgrade_output.txt

I can't really see what is wrong here, except this line:

Code
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 487 not upgraded.

Sure enough: after subsequent reboot, I was still on OMV5.

I now have a large number of updates showing up under 'Update Management', failing to install. I suppose these are from the failed 'omv-release-upgrade' (installing them fails, as I expected).

Then ran omv-update (which, as I see now, is deprecated), in an attempt to clean up the updates:

Output of omv-update = omv-update_output.txt

Now, I can't even get in the OMV5 WebGui anymore (getting "403 Forbidden").

None of the omv scripts seem to exist anymore (omv-firstaid, omv-upgrade, ...).

What am I doing wrong?

How do I recover?

NAS: Celeron G1840T | ASUS H87I-Plus | Samsung SSD 850Pro 256 GB | 5xWD40EFRX | OMV6

• apa

Hat den Titel des Themas von „omv-release-upgrade indicates '0 upgraded'“ zu „omv-release-upgrade indicates '0 upgraded', OMV is gone“ geändert.
  • Code
    N: Ignoring file 'openmediavault-kernel-backports.list.old' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension

Removed /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-kernel-backports.list.old

Followed instructions from here to resolve this.

"cat /etc/debian_version" now gives 11.2 as a result.

Reboot after this was a bit slow (was worried for a moment), but eventually the system came back to life: I can get to the (OMV5) login page again.

Could not log in however. I suppose this is because my system still sports OMV5, which is not supposed to run on Debian11. I then decided to follow the instructions for installing OMV6 on Debian11 here.

This didn't work, and I ended up with the issue described here. Followed the instructions from that post. "apt dist-upgrade" ended with the following message:

Code
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     proftpd-core
     proftpd-mod-vroot
     openmediavault
     proftpd-mod-crypto
     proftpd-mod-wrap
     proftpd-basic
     openmediavault-clamav
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I then re-ran the following command from here:

Code
    apt-get --yes --auto-remove --show-upgraded \
        --allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages \
        --no-install-recommends \
        --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confdef" \
        --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" \
        install openmediavault-keyring openmediavault

This ends with the following messages:

I do now get the OMV6 logon page... Logging in, however, still doesn't work (getting 502 Bad gateway error).

"systemctl status proftpd.service" (see previous command's output) shows this:

Followed solution given here.

Re-ran "apt dist-upgrade" => success!

However, trying to log on results in "500 Internal Server Error".

Turns out, I still needed to run "omv-engined" (see here).

Tried a reboot, just to be sure => seems to work.

NAS: Celeron G1840T | ASUS H87I-Plus | Samsung SSD 850Pro 256 GB | 5xWD40EFRX | OMV6

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von apa ()

• Another one of these broken upgrades.

First check which packages are not fully configured / brocken by

dpkg --audit then

run dpkg-reconfigure proftpd-core to fix proftpd

then try to install openmediavault properly apt-get install --reinstall openmediavault

report back if other packages are still broken / unconfigured:

dpkg --audit

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Still experiencing issues, even after being able to access the OMV6 WebGui:

Storage > File Systems => empty.

Storage > Shared Folders => "500 - Internal Server Error".

In fact, I appear to get "500 - Internal Server Error" throughout the WebGui for some reason.

Tried these: "dpkg --audit" gave nothing.

Still tried "apt-get install --reinstall openmediavault", hoping it might solve the remaining issues: no joy.

Seems I still needed to upgrade omv-extras manually: I could still see openmediavault-unionfilesystems 5.1.2 and no openmediavault-mergerfs (which I expected to see). Ran the following command, followed by a reboot:

Code
    wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/packages/raw/master/install | bash

Now, I do see the expected plugins...

After this, I installed the available updates from the WebGui.

I suppose I'll need to remove openmediavault-unionfilesystems 5.1.2 and install openmediavault-mergerfs manually instead?

Also noticed that, after rebooting, I need to manually execute "omv-engined" before I can do anything in the WebGui... Something is still not quite right...

Found the following in the syslog:

Code
    monit[2085]: 'omv-engined' failed to start (exit status 1) -- '/bin/systemctl start openmediavault-engined': Failed to start openmediavault-engined.service: Unit openmediavault-engined.service is masked.#012

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von apa ()

• You omv is not fully installed, probably because of an invalid config of proftpd. At least this is what the message tells you.

Try to reconfigure proftpd (you can overwrite the configs) and afterwards roll out all omv configs with

Code
     omv-salt stage run deploy

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• You omv is not fully installed, probably because of an invalid config of proftpd. At least this is what the message tells you.

Try to reconfigure proftpd (you can overwrite the configs) and afterwards roll out all omv configs with

Code

Previously edited proftpd config ad described here to solve indicated IdentLookups issue. After this, I could re-execute install/upgade scripts.

However, on closer inspection, something still does not seem right with proftbd. FTP log contains following entries:

Code
    Checking syntax of configuration file
    2022-01-25 09:21:41,135 Sirius proftpd[2033] 127.0.1.1: mod_ctrls/0.9.5: error: unable to bind to local socket: No such file or directory
    2022-01-25 09:21:41,218 Sirius proftpd[2146] 127.0.1.1: mod_ctrls/0.9.5: error: unable to bind to local socket: No such file or directory
    127.0.1.1 - ProFTPD 1.3.7a (maint) (built Sat Sep 18 2021 21:42:19 UTC) standalone mode STARTUP
    127.0.1.1 - mod_ctrls/0.9.5: unable to chown local socket /run/proftpd/proftpd.sock: No such file or directory

Not sure how to reset the proftpd config. For now, I disabled FTP entirely (though that is clearly not a real solution).

I just ran "omv-salt stage run deploy" anyway, just to be sure: appears to have done a few things. Then rebooted. No joy, still have to execute "omv-engined" manually before WebGui would do anything. Still find the following in syslog:

Code
    monit[2093]: 'omv-engined' failed to start (exit status 1) -- '/bin/systemctl start openmediavault-engined': Failed to start openmediavault-engined.service: Unit openmediavault-engined.service is masked.#012

Solved that with the help of this post:

Code
    systemctl unmask openmediavault-engined
    systemctl enable openmediavault-engined
    systemctl restart openmediavault-engined

After rebooting, WebGui does seem to work.

Still having issues with Storage > File Systems & Storage > Shared Folders, though (see my previous post).

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von apa ()

• Still having issues with Storage > File Systems & Storage > Shared Folders, though (see my previous post).

I understand openmediavault-unionfilesystems should have been upgraded automatically to openmediavault-mergerfs, if the installation had gone to plan (source)... Clearly it didn't :(

Uninstalled openmediavault-unionfilesystems with following commands:

Code
    apt-get --yes remove openmediavault-unionfilesystems
    apt-get --yes purge openmediavault-unionfilesystems

Now, Storage > File Systems does now show up, but with "missing" FUSE.MERGERFS filesystems => to be expected.

Now, how to clean those up?

• Also uninstalled omvextras-unionbackend with the following commands:

Code
    apt-get --yes remove omvextras-unionbackend
    apt-get --yes purge omvextras-unionbackend

Now, Storage > File Systems also results in "500 Internal Server Error".

Then installed newer plugin openmediavault-mergerfs => Storage > File Systems works again (but still showing the missing FUSE.MERGERFS filesystems).

Commented out the old <mntent> tags in "/etc/openmediavault/config.xml"

=> old entries dissapeared from Storage > File Systems

=> no more error in Storage > Shared Folders

Could not create new entries in Storage > mergerfs (xml errors).

Updated bad <mntentref> tags in "/etc/openmediavault/config.xml"

=> Could now create new entries in Storage > mergerfs

Re-updated <mntentref> tags in "/etc/openmediavault/config.xml" to newly created entries

=> All seems ok

Only problem remaining appears to be proftpd.

• Spoke too soon: backup also failing. When I click the Backup button, I get "500 - Internal Server Error" with following details:

Code
    Method: dd
    Device file: /dev/sda1
    Root drive: /dev/sda
    /usr/sbin/omv-backup: line84: fdisk: command not found

"fdisk" does not appear to be present (anymore). I am guessing this is a bug in openmediavault-backup then? If someone could confirm: I am willing to create an issue here if appropriate.

[edit]Created another thread in the appropriate forum for this, as this seems more like a problem with openmediavault-backup than with OMV6.[/edit]

Also encountered issues with NFS and SMB/CIFS shares that referred to the "old" mergerfs mounts. Fixed manually in "/etc/openmediavault/config.xml".

So still looking for a solution for the few remaining errors on proftpd.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von apa ()

• Have you been able to reconfigure all services with

Code

Unless this succeeds, you are not through.

You have to fix service by service

Code
    omv-salt stage list

will give you a list

See: https://openmediavault.readthe…pment/tools/omv_salt.html

• Have you been able to reconfigure all services with

Code

Unless this succeeds, you are not through.

Appears to complete without issues:

Code
    Summary for Sirius.orion.local
    ------------
    Succeeded: 2 (changed=2)
    Failed:    0
    ------------
    Total states run:     2
    Total run time:  94.674 s

Code
    omv-salt stage list

will give you a list

See: https://openmediavault.readthe…pment/tools/omv_salt.html

Not sure what to do with this at this stage?

Really appreciate your help by the way: THNX!

• Looks like the command only deploys changed configs, not all. With the list, you can deploy any servic seperatly:

Code
    omv-salt deploy run <proftp_or_whatever_the_exact_name_is>

• Ran "omv-salt deploy run proftpd": error message is still there.

Found this other thread describing exactly the same message on someone else's OMV5. Unfortunately, no solution is presented.

I read this about "mod_ctrls" and I understand it is intended to control proftpd using a command called "ftpdctl".

This is configured in "/etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf" as follows:

Code
    <IfModule mod_ctrls.c>
      ControlsEngine on
      ControlsMaxClients 2
      ControlsLog /var/log/proftpd/controls.log
      ControlsInterval 5
      ControlsSocket /run/proftpd/proftpd.sock
    </IfModule>

I can confirm there is no /run/proftpd/proftpd.sock:

Code
    root@Sirius:/# ls -la /run/proftpd* -R
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   5 Jan 25 18:42 /run/proftpd.pid
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 656 Jan 25 20:06 /run/proftpd.scoreboard
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   0 Jan 25 18:42 /run/proftpd.scoreboard.lck

Also ran the following command:

Code
    root@Sirius:/# proftpd --configtest
    Checking syntax of configuration file
    2022-01-25 20:07:20,819 Sirius proftpd[13759] 127.0.1.1: mod_ctrls/0.9.5: error: unable to bind to local socket: No such file or directory
    Syntax check complete.

Not sure if this is actually related to the upgrade from OMV5 to OMV6.

Logs from OMV5 no longer available :(

• try to start the proftp service on the cli

systemctl start proftpd and check with systemctl status proftpd.

service may be called proftp or proftpd in doubt try both names.

• try to start the proftp service on the cli

systemctl start proftpd and check with systemctl status proftpd.

Output is as follows:

Just to be clear: FTP connections are properly accepted. The only issue I see is this error message in the logs. Still, it doesn't seem normal to me...

• That thread seems to be about a different error: "Address already in use" (I have "No such file or directory"). There is no /run/proftpd.sock on my system.

Also, that post talks about /run/proftpd.sock while my config specifies /run/proftpd/proftpd.sock. Just for kicks, I changed my config to /run/proftpd.sock and then restarted proftpd.

Error about /run/proftpd/proftpd.sock is gone. I can also confirm /run/proftpd.sock now exists.

Seems, then, that the problem was about the missing directory /run/proftpd in which proftpd.sock should reside. Sure enoug, if I revert my config-file and create the directory /run/proftpd: the proftpd.sock error is gone (and /run/proftpd/proftpd.sock exists).

I do, however, get another error now about proftpd.pid... I guess that's still progress.

• what permissions does /run have and does a pid file already exist from a recent start?

• what permissions does /run have and does a pid file already exist from a recent start?

There was still a proftpd.pid after stopped proftpd. Removing it, didn't help: had the same error afterwards (but, weirdly, no new proftpd.pid).

Code
    root@Sirius:~# ls -la / | grep run
    drwxr-xr-x 33 root root 1220 Jan 26 09:32 run

(hope this is what you were looking for?)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!