Missing Raid

• Hello everyone.

I am new to the forum and a neophyte to Debian and OMV.

I'll come straight to the problem. Months ago I created a NAS with OMV 5.6.21 and it worked perfectly until yesterday, when I tried to expand the RAID by adding an additional hard drive, the seventh (already done once a few months ago with success).On reboot I went to RAID - Expand and it gave me an error (which I didn't write down, darn me!). I then closed everything, restarted the machine and, as if by magic, the RAID now has the status of MISSING!

Panic to the max!

I ask you: can I restore the RAID without losing the data on it? And how do I do it? Please tell me there is a way to! :(

Sorry for my bad English!

Thank you for reading.

Riccardo

Code
    root@NAS:~# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
    md0 : inactive sdd[0](S) sdi[4](S) sdf[1](S) sdh[3](S) sdg[2](S)
          4394789240 blocks super 1.2
    Code
    root@NAS:~# mdadm --detail --scan --verbose
    INACTIVE-ARRAY /dev/md0 num-devices=5 metadata=1.2 name=debian:Raid UUID=ae7e9eb5:bee1f7f9:411adf90:06ac2c50
       devices=/dev/sdd,/dev/sdf,/dev/sdg,/dev/sdh,/dev/sdi
  • What's the output of mdadm --detail /dev/md0

Hi! Thank you for your reply.The result is as follows:

• I ran the commands and at the end it says this:

Code
    mdadm: /dev/md0 has been started with 5 drives (out of 6).

Now the Raid has reappeared but the status is Clean,Degraded

But it is possible that a hard disk is missing?

• sdc is missing from the raid (if it was part of this raid).

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Yes, it was part of the raid. It could be a disconnected cable. Maybe I inadvertently touched its connection yesterday when adding the new hard drive.

I can try turning the machine off and rechecking the connections.

What should I do next?

• Offizieller Beitrag

According to that dev/sdc is the missing drive, however, your raid setup is a total waste of space, running through the various outputs;

dev/sdc -> 1.8 TiB (which is a 2TB drive)

dev/sdd -> 931.5 GiB (1TB)

dev/sdf -> 931.5 GiB (1TB)

dev/sdg -> 465.8 GiB (500GB)

dev/sdh -> 931.5 GiB (1TB)

dev/sdi -> 931.5 GiB (1TB)

the maximum size for the above is 2.5TB due to the 500GB drive, the usable space is calculated on the smallest drive within the array.

A Raid5 with the 4x1TB would give 3TB of usable space

A Raid5 with the 4x1TB and 2TB would give 4TB of usable space

To add /dev/sdc back, ssh into omv and try mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdc

• I tried fixing the cables and giving the command

mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdc

Now I can no longer access the Raid page. The page times out.

Even in the File System I cannot enter

• OK, it works.

Now the status is "cleaning, degraded, recovering".

Now I'm waiting for it to finish recovering.

Then based on what you mentioned before, I can remove the 500Gb hard drive and put in a 2Tb one so I can have this configuration:

"A Raid5 with the 4x1TB and 2TB would give 4TB of usable space".

Can you also assist me with this configuration?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Then based on what you mentioned before, I can remove the 500Gb hard drive and put in a 2Tb one so I can have this configuration

Yes and no, that 500GB drive is part of the array if you remove it the array will go into degraded state

But it is possible, not done it for a long time so will have to look up notes

• But you have a 2TB "spare" drive right now (sdc), so tomorrow you could have a backup.

And read the signature of geaves

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• OK. I'm going to move all the files to the sdc drive.

Do I then recreate the Raid from the beginning (do I have to delete the old Raid and remove the 500Gb hd)?

Is this correct so far?

Then how do I proceed?

And read the signature of geaves

I read it.... today!

Does having a permanent backup mean to have a second Nas?

• A seperate disk will be enough depending on your needs. Google 3-2-1 backup.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!