Backup Plugin / Restore Issue

• Offizieller Beitrag

your method per post 28

There must be an issue with your media, do you use the same usb port? I can't count the number of times I've done this, there is some software I would recommend you use this to test your usb flash drives.

I have just purchased 3 of these I've dropped down to 16GB from 32GB simply because OMV doesn't use a lot of space and one is creating an unnecessary large image file

• There must be an issue with your media, do you use the same usb port? I can't count the number of times I've done this, there is some software I would recommend you use this to test your usb flash drives.

I have just purchased 3 of these I've dropped down to 16GB from 32GB simply because OMV doesn't use a lot of space and one is creating an unnecessary large image file

ok i am going to wipe everything off all of my backup flashdrives, test them using software and do a new backup of my working system drive.

it should work, I agree!

• So as update, I've used usbimager 1.0.8 this time.

I got my working 16gb omv system to backup to my 32gb flashdrive which is working.

But I cannot get another 16gb flashdrive to successfully write the image using usbimager. After the image has been created, I insert the new flashdrive (16gb) and I can see it in the dropdown menu (below read/write) but when I select it - I get a popup window saying 'Please select a valid device' - is there a reason why?

I tested this 16gb flashdrive and its all good and confirmed as 16gb.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are they the exact same size? I don't remember if usbimager will block you from writing a larger image to a smaller drive.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The write image shows as 15.3gb whereas the flashdrive shows as 15.7gb

I'm not sure if Windows uses GB or GiB and if those might be different for the two. Are the and destination flashdrives the same model? If one byte less could be causing this. I usually image the smallest drive and write to larger drives.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm not sure if Windows uses GB or GiB and if those might be different for the two. Are the and destination flashdrives the same model? If one byte less could be causing this. I usually image the smallest drive and write to larger drives.

Yes different models. I guess 16gb is not really 16gb and it may be that my working system image (coming from 16gb) is bigger in size than the writing flash drive.

I'll leave it for now as I have got it working on my 32gb .

Thanks to Soma, Zoki, Ryecoaaron and geaves - what a dream team to have had to assist me !

• Since you already have a working clone (on the 32GiB USB stick) , you can try to shrink the partition on the 16GiB USB stick and create another image:

Boot a Gparted Live ISO via an extra USB disk (unplug ALL drives unneeded)

After boot is complete, plug the drive you want to shrink.

Shrink the partition size to -1Gb.

Reboot with the shrunk USB stick and see if it boots normally.

Check if the partition size was, in fact reduced by -1Gb:

fdisk -l /dev/sdX <<<<---- X is the letter of the drive. If ALL drive's are still unplugged, it will be a

If it was, power down and make another image on Windows (I know Win32DiskImager has the checkbox to Read Only Allocated Partitions which means only the partition size will be created. Don't know if UsbImager does that).

Try to flash that image to the other 16GiB USB Stick.

Worked?!?

Test it to see if it boots OK.

• Thanks Soma. I'm going to try that in the next few days.

Interestingly my 32gb working clone was plugged in yesterday and my omv shutdowns overnight and reboots in the morning.

This normally works fine on my master 16gb omv but this morning my 32gb working clone didn't boot up (error message said to insert a bootable media). I manually powered down / powered on and it booted ok. So not sure if the wake on LAN settings causes a problem but will see again tomorrow

• So it happened again. My working clone shutdown successfully but when it tried to reboot in the morning, it wouldn't boot (just said to insert a bootable media). Once I manually powered down and powered up it rebooted sucessfully.

I've check the BIOS settings and all looks ok.

So not sure why I have to physically power down/power up compared to the wake on LAN not working

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!