How do I find out the transfer speed?

• Hello all,

I'm a complete newbie to the whole server, virtualizing and OMV world. Despite this, I managed to install OMV as a NAS on Proxmox on an old Fujitsu computer with 4GB RAM and Intel i5-2500 3.30 GHz + 1x 250GB SSD for installing Proxmox and OMV plus 1x 500GB HDD + 2x 1TB HDDs for data storage.

I've also managed to find and mount and save the login info to the shared folders I've created on my Mac Laptop (M1 2020) and even managed to transfer some smaller files to the NAS.

The question I have is; how can I find out the transfer speed these and my bigger files are being transferred with? My Mac is not showing any speeds when copying files to the mounted shared folders on my NAS.

My second question; I'm planning on moving about 200GB of data from my external 1TB HDD to my NAS, which is the best way to do this? Plug it into the server? Do as I've already done for other files and connect it to my mac and then copy paste into the NAS?

And if any of you kind souls have the time; I'm currently only able to utilize ~427GB of the 500GB HDD and ~855GB of my 2x 1TB HDDs (configured as RAID1 in Proxmox, ZFS), is this normal or is there any way to maximize available storage even more?

Best,

• external 1TB HDD

what file system does it use?

How familiar are you with bash?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Regarding the storage space check GiB vs GB and TiB vs TB

File sizes are rounded up to block size, so what you see is not uncommon

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• moving about 200GB of data from my external 1TB HDD to my NAS, which is the best way to do this?

given the "beginner" level in bash and working network connection, I'd recommend to:

- connect NAS and Laptop via LAN cables to your router or switch => about 100MB/s transfer speed expected

- connect external HDD to Laptop and copy using the same approach that already worked with small files

As a learning challenge: Any idea how to calculate expected duration ?

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• given the "beginner" level in bash and working network connection, I'd recommend to:

- connect NAS and Laptop via LAN cables to your router or switch => about 100MB/s transfer speed expected

- connect external HDD to Laptop and copy using the same approach that already worked with small files

As a learning challenge: Any idea how to calculate expected duration ?

I would assume that the theoretical and fastest possible duration for the transfer would be 200GB=204800MB/100MB/s=2048s=~35min. However, I think a more realistic estimate would be five times longer since I'll probably reach transfer speeds around 20MB/s.

Is there a nice graphical view or log view of the transfer speeds in OMV?

• probably reach transfer speeds around 20MB/s.

good estimation!

Disk I/O might be showing what you are looking for.

Note: These metrics require configuration before they show and have impacts on "disk idle" sleeps, hence I didn't activate them

• I would assume that the theoretical and fastest possible duration for the transfer would be 200GB=204800MB/100MB/s=2048s=~35min. However, I think a more realistic estimate would be five times longer since I'll probably reach transfer speeds around 20MB/s.

Is there a nice graphical view or log view of the transfer speeds in OMV?

yes:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!