Quick question about spare disk

• Hello everyone, Hope you are all ok

It's been a while since I've been around ^^

I have a quick question for you I'm sure you are able to answer.

Here is the context :

I just added a new disk recently to my 4x2Tb RAID5 to obtain 5x2Tb RAID5 (disks are all Western Digital WD20EFRX, in good shape)

The volume is good with 5x disks minus 1 in RAID5 (8Tb instead of 10Tb) as you can see :

My question now :

Why is there no spare disk configured in details ? I'm not new into this and so but is'nt that the point of RAID5 ???

Check this :

Thank you all for your support.

Cheers

- ASROCK FM2A88X-ITX+ (SATAIII (6Gb/s) x6 (for the DATA), mSATA x1 (for the OS))
    - AMD A6 7400K 3.5GHz
    - Corsair 2Go DDR3 1333MHz C9 (x2)
    - Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
    - COOLER MASTER G450M (80+ bronze)
    - WD Red 2To 64Mo 3.5" SATAIII (6Gb/s)
    - 32 Go SSD mSATA KingSpec Half-Size Solid State
    - Fractal Design Node 304 black (HDD 3.5" x6)
    - RAID 5 XFS
    - OMV 4.1.35-1 Arrakis

• Thanks for your quick answer

I just extended the volume of the RAID on the new disk and cleaned it. (took me 2 days...)

I just wanna now if the Spare Disk in details is considered by OMV as a real spare disk or if parity between disks is not mentionned...

- ASROCK FM2A88X-ITX+ (SATAIII (6Gb/s) x6 (for the DATA), mSATA x1 (for the OS))
    - AMD A6 7400K 3.5GHz
    - RAID 5 XFS
    - OMV 4.1.35-1 Arrakis

• Official Post

I just extended the volume of the RAID on the new disk and cleaned it. (took me 2 days...)

I just wanna now if the Spare Disk in details is considered by OMV as a real spare disk or if parity between disks is not mentionned...

I'm sorry I still don't understand what you're telling me, but looking at the image and the output of what I assume is mdadm --detail by adding that fifth drive you have grown the array. So instead of 4 drives you now have 5 within array, the gui and the --detail output confirms that.

To add a drive as a spare it would have to be done via the cli using mdadm --add, the output from mdadm --detail would have shown active devices : 4 working devices : 5 spare devices : 1

• To add a drive as a spare it would have to be done via the cli using mdadm --add, the output from mdadm --detail would have shown active devices : 4 working devices : 5 spare devices : 1

Yes that's it.

I thought the details showed a spare disk when configured in RAID5.

But if not I think it's all OK then ^^

I was sure the answer was quick and simple ^^

Thank you mate

- AMD A6 7400K 3.5GHz
    - RAID 5 XFS
    - OMV 4.1.35-1 Arrakis

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!