Consequences if no "omv-confdbadm populate" is executed (just a Noob Question)

• Hi all,

- Board: ASrock J4105

- Systemdrive: 250 GB NVMe Samgung 970 Evo Plus via PCIe1

- one SATA datadrive for shraretests so far

Started to work in GUI instead of commiting the last command via ssh before. Forgot it cause i had to do a reeboot in beween and then the attraction of web gui was to great ; ))...

I had some strange error massages when i first trieed to configure my fresh OMV5 install. They all came when commiting the configworkflow in web-gui save>aply (Changes)>....

Even the LAN-Adapter wasn't there and had to be added manually. Started to work in GUI instead of commiting the last command via ssh before. Sometimes I lost LAN connection at all and the hostname in gui under network settings was different from that one in the terminal.

After I did the "omv-confdbadm populate". everyting seems to work fine without errors.

As a blody noob I'm unsure at a lot of poits.... Even thought it could be caused by my Samsung NVMe System drive in PCIe

I'm not sure if it was the "polulate" i forgot, cause i installed the full firmware-realtek_20210818-1_all.deb package at the same time to get rid of an anoying "rtl8107e-2.fw for module r8169-error".

cheers

heinso

heinso

OMV 5.6.25-1 (Usul) upgraded to currently 6.9.15-2(Shaitan), 64bit, on my ASRock Celeron J4105 NAS Build (10W TDP ;) ), 150WPicoPSU, Raid 5 Array: 4x WD Red 2TB, 250 GB NVMe SSD on PCIe V1, 2x 4GB RAM SO-DIMM 2400, [read/write 950/850 Mb/s over GE (84 GB-file with i5 8th Gen, NVMe SSD as exchange partner)].

• - Did a new install tagging only ssh in debian from 10.11_net.iso.

- Coppied the rtl_nic stuff for the rtl8168 to /lib/fimware/rtl_nic

finally:

Code
    root@omv:~# dmesg | grep "rtl8168"
    [    5.555132] r8169 0000:03:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware rtl_nic/rtl8168h-2.fw

- Found out that the very last command: omv-confdbadm populate could only be executed in the omv's terminal directly (and not via ssh)

- rebootet and now I'm hopefully at a good and reliable state to set up my omv

sorry for double posting, but from my perspective the problem set in front of the mashine ; ))

heinso

OMV 5.6.25-1 (Usul) upgraded to currently 6.9.15-2(Shaitan), 64bit, on my ASRock Celeron J4105 NAS Build (10W TDP ;) ), 150WPicoPSU, Raid 5 Array: 4x WD Red 2TB, 250 GB NVMe SSD on PCIe V1, 2x 4GB RAM SO-DIMM 2400, [read/write 950/850 Mb/s over GE (84 GB-file with i5 8th Gen, NVMe SSD as exchange partner)].

• heinso

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Glad you got it fixed but that command can be executed by SSH. I've not had a display hooked up to my server in... 8yrs? I know I've ran it over SSH before (I'm not near my server at the moment or I'd run it for proof of concept)

Come to think of it, I can't think of any command that would require a display vs an SSH session (this is assuming the OS is able to fully boot)

• not before a reboot on new install via ssh. And i was afraid of rebooting not to do the "populate" command.

Try it on a fresh install via debian before 1st omv-boot. The display wasn't hooked. It just did not accept the command to be executed via ssh..

But it's history for me now, hopefully. (Just fighting with groups rights and shares for first PoC)

heinso

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don't' want to beat a dead horse to much, I'd just never heard this before. Again it still works fine in that scenario. Not sure what happened for you, but I never rebooted... I just tested this on a clean Debian install in a virtual machine. All done over SSH. Command ran fine over SSH and at Console w/o a reboot. Rebooted and tested over SSH and at Console again, and it ran just the same.

• Could reproduce it again in the in VirtualBox:

In the ssh i met the problem again

Code
    ...]
    Processing triggers for openmediavault (5.6.25-1) ...
    Restarting engine daemon ...
    Updating locale files ...
    Updating file permissions ...
    Purging internal cache ...
    root@deb1011ssh:/home/heinso# omv-confdbadm populate
    bash: omv-confdbadm: command not found

While on the (virtual)machines screen i could type, not paste, the "omv-confdbadm" and it was executed without an communication within about 4 sec followed and closed up by a new prompt without any comment.

This was the my experience at all of my attempts (about 6 or 7).

heinso

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why not run the install script? It looks like your path is probably messed up. What is the output of:

ls -al /usr/sbin/omv-confdbadm

echo $PATH

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• sh... i just killed the test-mashine... but there is another one where I met the same issue:

here You are:

Code
    root@omv5:~# ls -al /usr/sbin/omv-confdbadm
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2250 Jan 17 20:54 /usr/sbin/omv-confdbadm
    root@omv5:~# 
    root@omv5:~# echo $PATH
    /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

And on my real live physical one exactly the same: (Typo has been fixed)

Code
    root@omv:~# ls -al /usr/sbin/omv-confdbadm
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2250 Jan 17 20:54 /usr/sbin/omv-confdbadm
    root@omv:~# echo $PATH
    /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

heinso

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von heinso ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have a typo in ls on the second one. Those look fine. I still recommend running the install script. I think your system might have a python issue. What is the output of:

dpkg -l | grep python

/usr/bin/python3 --version

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• "dpkg -l | grep python" leads to this output:

and Phython Ver. looks like this:

Code
    root@omv:~# /usr/bin/python3 --version
    Python 3.7.3

heinso

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't explain why it doesn't work then. Must be something in the setup before OMV is installed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!