Backup done with dd, how can i restore

• Hello guys,

i need your support, please.

I have a omv 4 running, and have backups activated in the gui, each night with dd (full disc) for 21 days.

The backups are on one of my data hdds, not on the system hdd.

now i would like to restore the system hdd with one of my backups.

Each backup consists of some files like gz, fdisk, grub, grubparts, packages, blkid.

Can you help me, how to restore? Is there a option in the gui, what to select ?

thanks for your help. :)

regards

Frank

• Offizieller Beitrag
  • Hello Macom,

thanks for the reply, but i don't get it.

Can i somehow boot into USB, so that i can install the backup from a usb-drive?

When yes, how do i do this and how do i burn the different backup-files to a image on the usb drive in the first place.

sorry for not understanding your post, but i am quite a beginner.

thanks for your help

regards

Frank

• Hi Macom,

thanks for your reply. Just one Question:

When i put the image in etcher, it says:

"...not a bootable image. The image does not appear to contain a partition table and might not be recognized or bootable by your device."

So it seems that the backup does not image all the disk, but something is missing?

Can you please help me, what to do?

regards

Frank

• Offizieller Beitrag

With dd you have to use the dd command on the command line. Here is a link that may help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just tried it yesterday. Full dd image flashed with Etcher on an SD Card. Boots fine on Odroid HC2.

No idea what went wrong in your case.

I did not realize that. Sorry for my bad info.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Full dd image flashed with Etcher on an SD Card

I tried this yesterday for the first time, the backup worked and flashing to a another usb flash drive worked using Etcher but failed miserably using usbimager, whilst it appeared to work and OMV started the WebUI was just odd, the dashboard was continually refreshing, my zfs pool was empty, no shared folders and so the list went on.

But Etcher worked

• Hello again,

sorry, for being away for so long.

Thank you so much for your answers, but i still do not know, how to get the dd backups restored again. What am i doing wrong?

Here for your convenience again my problem, so you do not have to move to the threadstart again.:

I have a omv 4 running, and have backups activated in the gui, each night with dd (full disc) for 21 days.

The backups are on one of my data hdds, not on the system hdd.

Now i would like to restore the system hdd with one of my backups.

Each backup, omv does, consists of some files like blkid, gz, fdisk, grub, grubparts, packages per day. Please see picture.

Putting the gz into etcher, gives me always the following error: not a bootable image. Seems some of the other files is needed but i have no idea how to use them with edger.

Also the file in the gz is called .dd not iso - You can continue with that .dd in etcher, but you get the above error message.

I am very confused. Any help would be appreciated.

thank you again for your help. :)

regards

Frank

• Offizieller Beitrag

dd (full disc)

Nope. It seems in the version you are using (end of life) there is no full disc option. Your backups are from the root partition only.

You can do a fresh install and then dd the backup "over" the root partition on the fresh install.

See here:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!