I grew my RAID 5 to 32TB and can't expand the filesystem

• Hi,

I replaced all the drives in my raid5 with bigger ones to grow my raid. Went from 5 3TB drives to 5 8TB drives. Rebuilt the RAID over 4 days. When i tried to grow the filesystem it gave me the known error 'Failed to grow the filesystem '/dev/md0': resize2fs 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)resize2fs: New size too large to be expressed in 32 bits'.

I unfortunately didn't know about this beforehand.

Also I'm running OMV 1.8. (I know... old as hell, but never change a running system).

I read most of the posts regarding my issue, and I think I know what I'm supposed to do, but I just wanted to check with you guys if it's okay for me to disconnect my drives, install a new version of OMV, reconnect my drives, convert my ext4 to 64 bits and expand my filesystem from there.

I have all my critical data backed up offsite. But I would really like to do this without a hitch, as restoring from there wouldn't be super-ideal.

Really looking for some advice here, as I need to keep downtime down to a minimum.
    Thanks in advance!

• david_aames

Hat das Label von Major Upgrade auf OMV 1.0 geändert.
  • david_aames

Hat den Titel des Themas von „I grew my RAID 5 to 32TB an can't grow the filesystem“ zu „I grew my RAID 5 to 32TB and can't expand the filesystem“ geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!