My Next OMV PC - wanting input

• I'm looking to build a new system / tweak my current one to be more robust. I have lost another drive (2 in 6 months) and I'm of course having to rebuild and replace what was lost. Please educate me on what I can do better for the future. I currently have about 7 drives using mergefsfolders to combine into 1 large drive.

I'm entertaining using a raid but i haven't used on in years.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is your current system? How old were the drives that failed? What kind of drives were they? By robust, do you mean more highly available or just less failures?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What is your current system? How old were the drives that failed? What kind of drives were they? By robust, do you mean more highly available or just less failures?

Good Morning,

My current system is I7-6700T @ 2.8ghz (lenovo tiny chassis)
    32 gb ram

256 gb m.2 sda
    7 remaining drives all of various types and sizes in 2 Mediasonic Probox 4 Bay chassis'
    2 WD10's 10 TB (newest drives place Oct 2021)
    3 WD 8's "REDs" (shucked from externals) had 5, 2 failed production dates are all around aug 2017 i'm expecting the remaining to fail.

Hitachi 4tb (MJ0351YNG970TA)

HGST 4tb PL2331LAH3LZPJ

When I mean robust I primarily mean less failures or if a failure happens it's not to the point that I'm thrown into emergency mode because 1 drive can't / won't respond. If i can make it HA also cool but if it's going to increase the cost dramatically it's not worth it.

thinking of getting Seagate 16TB HDD Exos X16

• Offizieller Beitrag

3 WD 8's "REDs" (shucked from externals) had 5, 2 failed production dates are all around aug 2017 i'm expecting the remaining to fail.

I haven't had good luck with drives from usb enclosures either. And I usually try to replace (or at least move them to something less important) drives by the time they hit five years old. Do you shut your system down a lot?

When I mean robust I primarily mean less failures or if a failure happens it's not to the point that I'm thrown into emergency mode because 1 drive can't / won't respond.

Nothing OMV can do about drive failures other than watch smart to see if they are failing. And while it isn't supposed to work, adding nofail to the mergerfs options has worked for some people to avoid emergency mode.

if it's going to increase the cost dramatically it's not worth it.

HA always cost more since you have hardware just providing redundancy.

Seagate 16TB HDD Exos X16

I have an Exos X18 (for a couple months) and it good so far.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• @ryecoaaron
    Do you shut your system down a lot? No, this system stays on 24/7 rarely gets rebooted.

HA always cost more since you have hardware just providing redundancy. Some is not worrisome, but if it's going to double the costs i'm not sure if i'm wanting to. Would the raid with mergefsfolders be a bad idea?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would the raid with mergefsfolders be a bad idea?

If you are using raid then you don't need mergerfs folders unless you were going to have a bunch of raid 1 arrays. I would not use raid with those enclosures if they are connected via usb.

• If you are using raid then you don't need mergerfs folders unless you were going to have a bunch of raid 1 arrays. I would not use raid with those enclosures if they are connected via usb.

Yeah they are usb enclosures currently as the tiny does not have esata connectors. I was thinking raid 6

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was thinking raid 6

Not with usb connected drives.

If you use a wildcard for your folders to merge (/srv/dev* or something), then I don't think it will ever fail to boot since nofail should be in the filesystem mount options already.

• If you use a wildcard for your folders to merge (/srv/dev* or something), then I don't think it will ever fail to boot since nofail should be in the filesystem mount options already.

I will attempt that, Now to see if I can recreate by cron job to extract all downloads that haven't already been extracted. I used to have it but I have lost the code in the HD crash. I'm thinking something like

Code
    unrar e -r -o- /srv/driveident/downloads/ *.rar
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Have you attempted Raid with esata or is that a bad idea also.

I used it many years ago. It isn't my favorite thing but it is much better than usb.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!