Is there a guide to in place upgrade?

• Hi all

Reading bits and pieces in different threads regarding the CLI upgrade path from 5 to 6, but wondered if there's a thread that covers the steps in one place that I'm struggling to find?

My basic understanding is:

1. Backup OS drive

2. Check any used plugins have been ported to OMV6 and if they haven't install via Docker instead

3. Temporarily remove data drives

4. Disable running services

5. Go in via CLI (Putty in my case) and run the couple of update commands (when I find them again!)

6. Wait

7. Most likely refresh/clear browser cache

8. Assuming now running OMV6, stick data drives back in and start services and check everything is working

Does that cover it? Any missing steps or detail to add to make life easier?

• Contributions wanted:

1. Backup the OS drive (this is allways a good idea, not only for upgrades)
    2. Make sure, you have enough free space on your os drive
    3. Check any installed plugins if they have been ported to OMV6
      If you are using plugins which have not been / will not be ported, get rid of the plugins except unionfs / mergefolderfs. These two will automatically be be converted to the newer mergerfs plugin
      (Many plugins can be replaced by docker containers. Do this before upgrading)
    4. If you installed software from foreign repos make sure they have a release for bullseye or remove the repos / software
    5. Go to the cli (Putty, ssh, keyboard) and run these commands (In case of errors stop and ask on the forum before makingthings worse)
      1. Make sure your current install is correct all configs can be deployed by running sudo omv-salt stage run deploy
      2. Get the current install up to date: sudo omv-upgrade
      3. Do the release upgrade by running sudo omv-release-upgrade
        If you see an error message from patch which says a patch has alredy been applied, ignore it. (this is the only error to be ignored)
    6. Wait for the last script to finish and reboot.
    7. Refresh/clear browser cache (Crtl-Shift R on most browsers)
    8. Check if all services and docker containers are running as you expect.
    9. If you see Linux image Updates you can not install on the UI, go to the cli and run omv-upgrade once more.

Edit:

• Added hint to run omv-upgrade if images can not be updated in UI

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Zoki ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is ist necessary to install usrmerge before or will this be done by omv-upgrade?

omv-release-upgrade will install it if it is needed. https://github.com/openmediava…pre.d/05-install-usrmerge

Nothing else will install it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks both for contributions - will give this a go in the next couple of days :)

Zoki - have run that first command - took a little while (thought initially it hadn't done anything) but from what I can see it made quite a number of changes (and nothing appeared to have failed). I managed to lose the text while trying to copy it.....

• The first command should not change anything on the disk, as all changes should have already been applied. No need to post the output if it did not fail.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Well I'm pleased to report that the installation appears to have gone entirely smoothly! I had to manually remove diskstats and clamav plugins before updating, as they're not on the list. Now I'm in 6 I found them in the list of available plugins to install.

ETA = link to the list of plugins for folk to check, if they are wanting to follow this

So far so good - folders all still accessible, updates run and the only oddity is there's a couple of amd64 updates which don't seem to want to play ball:

Code
    Reading package lists...
    Building dependency tree...
    Reading state information...
    Calculating upgrade...
    The following packages have been kept back:
      linux-image-amd64
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

the other one not mentioned there is linux-image-5.15.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 Linux 5.15 for 64-bit PCs (signed)

My hardware is an elderly (but entirely reliable) HP N54L

• I also just went from latest OMV 5.x to OMV 6, sorry to hijack this thread but I've found it very useful!

Upgrade went fine, only I saw Docker was still version 5:20.10.12~3-0~debian-buster in GUI.

So I removed and installed Docker again from webinterface, showing "bullseye" now.

But I still have this message when running "omv-upgrade":

Code
    The following packages have been kept back:
    linux-image-amd64

I've rebooted a few times already.

My current kernel is Linux 5.4.166-1-pve.

I also can't find the Proxmox settings in the new Openmediavault webinterface?

I was thinking maybe I should go back to the stock kernel or something in order for the upgrade to work?

Or should I force the linux-image-amd64 update?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Installed openmediavault-kernel from the plugins, can see the kernel page now :) Will try to re-install Promox from there and report back.

EDIT2: Re-installed proxmox, running kernel Linux 5.15.19-2-pve, but still package is being held back.

• Upgrade went fine, only I saw Docker was still version 5:20.10.12~3-0~debian-buster in GUI.

So I removed and installed Docker again from webinterface, showing "bullseye" now.

Interesting - mine is the same version. Did you literally just do 'remove' and then 'install' from within the GUI, and did you lose anything as a result?

• Run omv-upgrade on the CLI to install those kernel updates.

Added to my post #2

Will try to keep it up to date for anything found here.

• Interesting - mine is the same version. Did you literally just do 'remove' and then 'install' from within the GUI, and did you lose anything as a result?

OK, so I tried doing this and it threw an error. Instead I ran apt-get install docker-ce which has now updated to the correct version of Docker, but I've noticed Docker doesn't appear in my list of services in the left hand menu of the GUI. Portainer still seems to be working OK and my containers are fine/running.

I was looking to install Watchtower but can't see how to at the moment!

• Interesting - mine is the same version. Did you literally just do 'remove' and then 'install' from within the GUI, and did you lose anything as a result?

Yes I just pressed "remove" (or uninstall, I don't know since mine's in Dutch) from the webinterface.

Reloaded webinterface, pressed install. Voila!

Perhaps you should try to remove all old docker things (taken from https://docs.docker.com/engine/install/debian/ )

Code
    sudo apt-get remove docker docker-engine docker.io containerd runc

And after that install from the webinterface again?

Although I see you say it's not under services, which it isn't.

Its under system -> omv-extras

• Thanks - seems to be working fine, so will see what its like over time. I'm sure I used to find Docker in both places in OMV5, but read elsewhere, and looking at the old OMV5 install videos for Docker, I think it's changed a bit.

I found a video tutorial for installing Watchtower via Portainer, and set it to run once a day, so hopefully that takes care of my containers.

• Thanks - seems to be working fine, so will see what its like over time. I'm sure I used to find Docker in both places in OMV5, but read elsewhere, and looking at the old OMV5 install videos for Docker, I think it's changed a bit.

I found a video tutorial for installing Watchtower via Portainer, and set it to run once a day, so hopefully that takes care of my containers.

To be honest I run everything via docker-compose from a yaml file, which works very good for me.

Glad that it's working though!

For me the system is also working fine running OMV6, just that pesky linux-image-amd64 message is still there.

EDIT: Found another topic which described a bit of the same problem, so I think my problem is fixed :)

Dit the following:

ran omv-aptclean

ran apt-cache policy linux-image-amd64:

ran apt-mark unhold linux-image-amd64

and finally ran omv-upgrade again, which told me:

Code
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      linux-image-5.15.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      linux-image-amd64

Removed the unused kernel by running sudo apt --purge autoremove

• One question. Did you temporarily remove data drives ?

Thanks

• One question. Did you temporarily remove data drives ?

Thanks

To be honest I didn't.

I did stop all my docker containers (I have around 20, like Sabnzbd, Headphones, MariaDB, etc.)

Other than that I just followed the steps from post #2.

I also did it locally BTW, with a monitor and keyboard connected to my NAS, just to be there :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

You shouldn't remove the data drives for an upgrade. Only a fresh install.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!