Is there a guide to in place upgrade?

• I would recommend to run the omv-release-upgrade in a screen session when connected via ssh.

Had a typo. Has to be omv-release-upgrade. If you already upgraded it does not matter. Running in a screen session just makes sure the script continues to run even if you loose ssh connection.

I was also wondering about the dist, but I just saw you edited :)

That's why I connected directly to my NAS and executed the command there, I'd recommend the same.

• How long time it took to upgrade? more or less

About one hour total, first I booted to clonezilla and made a backup image of my boot SSD, after that I used the commands to upgrade, this took about half an hour on total I would say

I have to say my Nas is custom build and quite fast so it depends which hardware you have of course

• About one hour total, first I booted to clonezilla and made a backup image of my boot SSD, after that I used the commands to upgrade, this took about half an hour on total I would say

I have to say my Nas is custom build and quite fast so it depends which hardware you have of course

Besides the speed of the NAS, it depends on the network speed you have, as it downloads quite a bit from the internet.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• About one hour total, first I booted to clonezilla and made a backup image of my boot SSD, after that I used the commands to upgrade, this took about half an hour on total I would say

Thanks, I have 2 setups. One with a PI4 and the other with one old Lenovo ThinkCenter M93p Tiny.

• Finally upgraded from 5 to 6. Had 2 issues, but appears to have been successful. Am I OK to ignore the errors listed?

On first attempt to upgrade using script, I got the following error and upgrade stopped.

Code
    E: The repository 'http://deb.debian.org/debian-security bullseye/updates Release' does not have a Release file.
    N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
    N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

I still had a working 5.x system though. I then ran:

Code
    sudo wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/fix5to6upgrade | sudo bash

This ran for about 20 minutes, but also ended with the following errors (warnings?):

Anything I need to do about those errors?

• Soma or anyone else who might know, any idea why I am getting there errors in my syslog? I do not even have a device sdc mounted.

Zitat

systemd-udevd[12004]: sdc: /etc/udev/rules.d/99-openmediavault-scheduler.rules:24 Failed to write ATTR{/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.2/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/host7/target7:0:0/7:0:0:0/block/sdc/queue/scheduler}, ignoring: Invalid argument

Error repeats quite often.

• Other than you show the output of:

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/99-openmediavault-scheduler* I can't help more than that, sorry

• I do not even have a device sdc mounted.

But did you ever had it mounted? I mean, did you ever had a 3rd drive attached and then removed it?

As for the file, I too have it on one of the Pis I use (the one updated from OMV5). On the one with fresh install of OMV6, it's non-existent.
    Here is what it shows:

• votdev

I see that /etc/udev/rules.d/99-openmediavault-scheduler.rules comes from previous versions of OMV (don't have it on fresh OMV6) and line #22 # http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/SSD/Scheduler is pointing to a (now) archived topic

https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Archiv/SSD/Scheduler/

If I read it correctly, this was to make sure that rotational and non-rotational drives were recognized and set functions accordingly.

Since it has been archived and it's mentioned on the link:

Zitat

Note: With current SSDs, you no longer have to worry about setting the best I/O scheduler. If the kernel recognizes the SSD as such, it dispenses with some peculiarities that were useful for conventional hard disks.

Am I understanding it correctly that with the more recent kernels, SSDs are being properly recognized and this has become somewhat obsolete.

Hence it being archived.

Does this still has any usefullness?

Since fresh OMV6 doesn't use it anymore (or, at least I don't see it on several test VMs and my RPi), is it still needed?

• But did you ever had it mounted? I mean, did you ever had a 3rd drive attached and then removed it?

Yes, I am pretty sure I did, and I bet that is the cause. I currently have 3 drives listed as sda, sdb, and sdd.

I ended up commenting out the 3 lines in that file, and the errors went away. I am monitoring to see if that causes any issues (e.g. with SMART or other disk related stuff). So far, so good. I feel better now knowing this file is not in OMV6 so hopefully no longer needed. Thanks again.

• ryecoaaron

Care to read the 3-4 posts above and give some expertise on this?

Thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

That was added in OMV 2.0.11. It was removed in OMV 6.x. So, you should be able to delete the file.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, it has been removed with commit https://github.com/openmediava…c14d9fbd0097515955d8e9a9e in OMV6.

Does this still has any usefullness?

No, i think it can be removed manually if it exists in a migrated system.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!