What is the best way to upgrade from a 1Tb HDD to a 960GB SSD

• Hi,

I recently bought an SSD I wanted to know what is the best way to transition from my original 1TB hard drive to a 960GB SSD. I want it to basically be as seamless as possible, so when I plug in the SSD everything runs as it should, without requiring any further setup if possible.

So far I tried, using the Gpart tool to reduce the size as the real data used on the 1TB drive is about 500GB. After that, I then used Rescue Zilla to copy from the 1Tb (with the new size of 500GB) to the 960GB SSD, when that was completed I expanded the SSD so it was back to 960GB and not 500GB. But when I plugged it in, whilst everything seemed to be the same for the most part, it needed a lot of configuring. For example, whilst portainer is still there and so are all the docker containers, they all pretty much need me to configure them. I don't know that was the best method so let me know where I went wrong.

Also, I would like to know the best way to transition to USB booting rather than SD card as I know that will be more reliable. I run OMV 6 on a Raspberry Pi 4.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you

• Do it the simple way:

1. Plug in both disks
    2. rsync from old disk to new disk
    3. disable the services in OMV
    4. rsync from old disk to new disk using --delete flag (will only handle what has been changes in the mean time)
    5. change the pathes of shared folders to point to the new disk
    6. enable all services again
    7. delete rsyc job if you used on
    8. unplug old disk

This can be done share by share or in a whole. Do whatever suits you best.

Docker takes a second view though which heavily deopends on how you set it up in the first place.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Use the UI to create a rsync job, do not enable it, but start it once with the start button.

if you know what saherd folders are, this should be easy.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Another approach would be to clone the disk with clonezilla. You have to use the -icds switch as the target drive is smaller than the original drive.

Advantage of this procedure is that you can just remove the old drive and add the new one and everything should work as before.

BUT do NOT connect both disks at the same time as the UUIDs of the filesystems will be identical so during boot one of them will be mounted, but you do not know which one.

• Another approach would be to clone the disk with clonezilla. You have to use the -icds switch as the target drive is smaller than the original drive.

Advantage of this procedure is that you can just remove the old drive and add the new one and everything should work as before.

BUT do NOT connect both disks at the same time as the UUIDs of the filesystems will be identical so during boot one of them will be mounted, but you do not know which one.

So I tried to use clonezilla but it couldn't write the data to the SSD because the size difference. So when and how do I use the -icds switch? Is this something I have to do in the command line?

I'm not familiar with this so I just need a little more detail so I don't screw things over.

Thanks.

• Just an update that didn't seem to work.

I ended up with the same result as when I used Rescue Zilla.

The problem is, it doesn't copy over the configs of my docker containers.

I have also attached a screenshot, the first drive that is missing is the original one. And I'm assuming the 2nd missing drive is the SSD? Not sure.

• Do you happen to have two partitions on the disk and only copy partitions?

• I have one partition where all the data is held.

All I want to do is try to clone the source 1TB HDD to the destination 960GB SSD so that OMV doesn't see that a switch has happened and runs everything as it should. I'm so confused as to why this is complicated or what I'm doing wrong that causes all these errors.

• I understand, but I can not completely understand what you say:

- You are cloning the drive "but the container config needs to be changed"

- You are removing one drive and see two file systems missing.

If you clone the disk, the uuids should not change and OMV will not even see, a drive been exchanged.

Can you explain, what you see on the disk you cloned and what kind of config changes are necessary. Maybe we get a better idea of what goes wrong.

blkid

lsblk

before and after the change will help to understand too.

• Is your IP changing or some other network details changing?

Is the mount point changing? ie. instead of /dev/sda6, it's now /dev/sdb1 (or whatever)

When I copy just the Docker volumes with the config files everything is the same EXCEPT where I need to appropriately reconfigure network details.

If you've had success all the way to the point where Docker runs but you only need to reconfigure addressing, then it sounds like the mount points are matching correctly both locally and virtually, which probably means you're duplication/cloning/copying process worked successfully (or enough for what you'd want at least).

• Ok so let me try to start again so you know what I have done.

I used clone zilla to clone my 1TB HDD to my 960GB SSD. I used the expert mode and used the switch -icds by going into expert mode, but I don't think that worked because it still said the destination drive was too small. So I did it all over again (setting up the source and destination drives) and this time I used a switch called k1 I think and that worked after 2 hours of copying.

I plugged in only a 960GB SSD drive and the screenshot below will show some trouble I'm having. It now only sees one drive but the set-up is a mess. For example, what I meant by my containers need configuring is in Heimdall none of the URLs I have pinned is there or on my Adguard Home container, none of my blocklists/settings was saved. On my network drives, firstly not all of them even show some of the drives I can't access despite being mapped in OMV. Also, they show that it has only 16GB free out of 30Gb when the actual size of the drive is about 890GB.

However, when I plug my original 1TB drive in, everything is as it should be with absolutely no issues at all. This means something is going wrong during the cloning process.

The first few pics are when the SSD is attached and everything goes wrong, the next set is when I attach the HDD back and everything is normal.

Hope someone can tell me what is going wrong with the setup. The UUID is the same on both drives so I don't know what the issue is.

• Are you using sharerootfs plagen?

Your clone disk can not be mounted, so it is no miracle nothing works.

The only thing I wonder about is files and database. Are these samplings from roots to the database or are you sharing /sharedfolders?

Do a fsck on the ssd and get the cloning right. Do not change anything in omv.

• sda1 isn't mounted when you use the ssd. On the hdd it's mounted at /srv/dev-disk-by......

Where is Docker installed and where is it set to save the config files?

So docker is installed on the sd card and the configs on the hard drive.

How do I mount it?

• Are you using sharerootfs plagen?

Your clone disk can not be mounted, so it is no miracle nothing works.

The only thing I wonder about is files and database. Are these samplings from roots to the database or are you sharing /sharedfolders?

Do a fsck on the ssd and get the cloning right. Do not change anything in omv.No

I have no idea what sharerootfs plagen is so I don't think I'm using that.

What I did was use SMB/CIFS to create the folders and then on file explorer I just mounted them as network drives.

When you say gert the cloning right, what do you mean? At what stage did I go wrong?

Sorry but I'm compeltly new at this so as you can imagine I may have made a ton of mistakes.

• you can't mount it until you fix the disk error. See you screenshot in red.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!