My first DIY NAS

• It’s time to put together a slightly stronger DIY NAS so I need your help in choosing the components.

The first dilemma is to buy an Asrock J4125-itx or Asrock J5040-itx motherboard.

I don't need any video transcoding, but a slightly stronger NAS with a larger number of running docker containers.

I think that the Asrock J4125-itx is enough for my needs, and it is about 25% cheaper.

For a start, I plan to buy 8 GB of RAM, and over time, if necessary, add another 8 GB of RAM. Both boards have space for two memory modules.

Each board has 4 SATA3 ports, two of which are Asmedia, so I'm wondering if this is a problem or do they work most normally?

My biggest doubt is about the power supply.

Buy some SFX power supply or buy some quality picoPSU?

The desire is to assemble a silent NAS so I’m not sure how the SFX power supply fits into that? As far as I can see, some SFX power supplies up to 30% of the load work in silent mode, and that for a 450W power supply would be around 150W in silent mode, which is more than enough for my NAS.

I know it would be easiest to buy a ready-made solution such as a Qnap or some other NAS on which I can install OMV, but I think the DIY variant offers me more options, and I am also aware that it will cost me something more in the end.

• I have Asrock J5040. All sata ports works, even adding additional sata (I bought this link) are working. OMV is debian and have support for many hardware devices. Transcoding is working nice. Do not expect to have hw transcoding 4K HEVC HDR, but, with disabling hw transcoding You can expect one stream only using CPU power . Hardware transcoding is a bit overrated if you are home user. Picture quality is not quite good, and we are not using very often. I'm using it only in the bus on my phone and very rare.

EDIT:

Both motherboards can run only 8 GB of RAM as maximum which is more than enough for OMV if you are not using ZFS.

Media Server: OMV 7, Asrock J5040, 8gb Ram, Rad 2 disk (16+18 TBhdds), Backup: Gigabye MB, i3 8100, 16 GB Ram, Raid 0, (4x8TB hdds)

• ASRock J5040-ITX officially supports only 8GB of RAM, but usually works with 16GB too. I'm using Crucial SO-DIMM 2x8GB KIT DDR4 2400MHz CL17.

As the power supply I'm using Pico PSU DC-ATX-160W with 150W power adapter from Aliexpress. I have one SSD disk (128GB) and 5 HDD disks (6TB, 4TB, 2TB, 2TB and 1.5TB). The last two drives are connected via adapter card for M.2 with 2 SATA ports.

This custom NAS has been running for a year now, I am very happy with it and would probably never go for a "ready-made solution".

This setup with Fractal Design case (without discs) cost me about $370. I don't know where I could get a 6bay NAS for a similar price.

• If anyone has an Asrock J4125-itx, please write which memory you have?

I have Asrock J4105-ITX, but I believe they support the same memory. I have two 8GB modules of Kingston ValueRAM (KVR24S17S8/8), and they work fine. This is one of the most popular modules used with this motherboard.

• I forgot to mention that I have OdroidHC2 and OdroidXU4 in the Cloudshell2 case and that they work well, but they are bothered by the lack of RAM and if I have more dockers running then they become slow. If I make a NAS now from these components I listed I should have better performance?

• Is it batter to use this adapter or 2 sata3 Connectors by ASMedia ASM1061 which are on board?

I read some comments that those connectors broke down very quickly.

Does anyone have more experience with these ASMedia ASM1061 connectors on Asrock motherboards?

• connectors broke down very quickly.

are you referring to the mechanical SATA connectors or proper electrical working of a SATA port?
    SATA mechanical connectors are intended to be plugged & unplugged for just a few times over the full lifetime of a board.
    Never heard of a physically broken connector when used in the correct direction/alignment. Using them incorrectly and using force is a different story!
    Now aging of electronic components is a different subject but usually it takes many years (probably 7-10) before electronic component aging comes into play. In most cases capacitors suffer from aging (not chipsets like ASMedia ASM1061) and are the root cause of electrical issues. I prefer motherboards with "all solid" capacitors as they last much longer

for a list see https://geizhals.eu/?cat=mbson&xf=4400_Mini-ITX%7E494_solidcaps

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• Which case could you recommend?

Node 304 is too big for me. I watched Cooler Master NR200, but it also seems kind of big. I don't plan to install a graphics card.

I plan to install only 2 SSDs and 2 3,5 "HDDs

EDIT:

I bought a Cooler Master NR200

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do I have to install Debian first and then OMV 5 or 6 or is there a ready-made image with OMV5 or 6 installed on top of Debian?

On the Odroids you have to install the OS first and then OMV on top with the installation script.

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…Developers/installScript/

I would use Armbian as OS. If you use the version based on Bullseye the script will install OMV6.

I upgraded my HC2 instead of a fresh install, but that is not supported by Armbian.

On the Asrock you can use the ISO.

https://www.openmediavault.org/?page_id=77

"Testing" for OMV6.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!