Loosing everything after power loss

• Have you checked the config.xml file?

There is still your claim araumd it has been reset to initial state.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• This does not look like a freh install, it has the network set up, one data disk mounted, several shared folders defined and some smb shares configured, but only one user

Docker storage on: /var/lib/docker (not moved to a data disk)

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• I know. Also, I said everything worked fine, network, shared folders, disks mounting, smb, everything, dockers installed...but he lost all docker settings. Radarr, sonarr, rutorrent, all of them back to default, just like they were installed a few minutes ago, without anything set up.

• A friend of mine has an OMV 5 system running, without a UPS, and last night there was a power outage at his place, and he lost every single setting on his OMV. His media is still there, all data etc, every docker container, but it's like everything was just installed a minute ago. Is it possible that linux is this crappy?

the issue has nothing to do with Linux, but unless Docker gets told to persist changes, everything will be reset to default when a reboot occurs.

RTFM (read the fine manual) on Docker configuration would be the recommendation to your friend.

Assuming your friend did the configuration, he should write the forum post with all details too! Providing second hand information wont allow to fix this issue from my view because too many assumptions and interpretations will prevent finding the root cause reliably.

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• I did the configuration for him. And I have reset my NAS a million time and never lost a thing. I don't think this is true, that you have to tell Docker to persist changes. Let's say you do have to do that...when I change something, let's say I add an indexer to radarr or sonarr....how to tell Docker "hey I want this permanent"?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think this is true, that you have to tell Docker to persist changes

Using volumes (path or actual docker volume) is how you persist changes or make permanent. If the volume was wrong in the compose file or run command, the data would only exist in the container. A power outage would "reset" the container to default.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• OK, I agree with that, but I think it would be incredible for 10-12 dockers to have wrong paths. I repeat, everything worked fine for a month or so until the power outage. I will have the machine tonight, so I will check in more details. I was doing all of this checking so far over AnyDesk.

• If docker started the containers before the data disks where mounted this is the effect you will see.
    check the directories while data disks are unmounted too.

• So, after I turned on the machine, it was all set to defaults, like I said. But then, I started OMV dashboard, and I got that yellow button at the top, saying that some changes occured, and if I wanted to apply them. I clicked the Apply button, and after that everything went back to normal. :/

• I do not understand how omv settings relate to docker container not being there except for a not mounted disk.

• It happened again. Another power outage, another issue. But this time, it was different. Instead of everything resetting back to the defaults, he can't open any of his arr's. Not even the OMV dashboard. It says 404. After I went to see what's going on via AnyDesk, I saw what you see on my screenshot. For some reason, it adds that IP on top of the Heimdall ip address. Weird.

The second thing I've noticed for a few minutes I was checking it out...last time I was dealing with this thing, and got it back with that weird thing from my last message, I stopped rutorrent, and installed qbittorrent and set it all up. Now ruttorent is started and qbittorrent is back to defaults, like all other dockers. It's like it has Windows Restore, and after every power loss it restores to defaults. I will take the machine to my place again soon, so if you guys have any advice what to check and how, I would appreciate it.

• This is a bizarre thread.

It's either a poltergeist has taken up residence in your machine.

OR

You have drives not mounting correctly and the system is working on data underlying the mount point possibly an original installation.

Anytime you have power outage that appears to reset machines you need to immediately suspect dead CMOS battery for one possibility.

This will cause your BIOS to reset to default values and possibly different boot order.

Beyond that, a lot of the things that have been described in this thread are just not possible.

RaspberryPi 4 8GB | 256GB MicroSD | 2TB USB3 SSD | RPi OS 64 Lite | OMV 6 | Docker | Portainer | Plex

• What is happening to the ports? Is it 83 or 80 you are trying to access?

And regarding the "reset", check partitions and the external disk. If docker root is moved to the external disk and it boots without this disk, docker will still use the directory defined, but on the os disk.

If the external disk is mounted, try unmounting it and check the directory in /srv/dev-disk-by-... if anything is there. If yes, you have the explanation.

• Zitat

What is happening to the ports? Is it 83 or 80 you are trying to access?

Are you referring to my screenshot? If so, I opened Heimdall, which is on the port 83, and clicked on the OMV shortcut, which is on the port 80 as you know, and it gave me a 404 error. I was confused, so I looked up in the address bar and saw what you see on my screenshot. It does that for every shortcut in the Heimdall. One more thing that happened after the blackout. I went to the settings in Heimdall to see if it added that sufix to the ip address, but no, everything looks fine.

• In your screenshot you are accessing heimdall (port 83( and ask for a file/path 192.168.0.22:80 which is abviously not there, hence the 404 aka HTTP not found.

Have you tried the correct url http://192.168.0.222?

• You didn't understand me. He has Heimdall installed and some shortcuts in it (radarr, sonarr, OMV dashboard and so on). When I click on the radarr for example it should open it via it's ip address. It doesn't, it adds it on top of the Heimdall's ip address, as you can see on my screenshot.

• The question is: Is it only heimdall or is OMV not available?

You can check what heimdall is doing if you open the web developer console and switch to the networks tab.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!