I can't mount my SSD

• Hi,

So I did a fresh install of OMV onto my SSD (I switched to USB boot) and everything seemed fine, I went through the settings to configure them and then I realised I can't mount or see the drive mounted in the storage section. It shows the disk which is a 960GB SSD but I can't mount it. I wanted to create some SMB drives but I can't select the file system.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong or what I need to do to fix this? Thanks

• The disk is already mounted as / (root disk).

By default omv will not allow you to put shared folders onto the root disk. if you really want this, you have to install the sharerootfs plugin.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Would there be any issues if I have user data on the root?

By enabling the placement of user data on the rootfs you invite the possibility of filling the drive up. When that happens the system will become broken.

You would be better off using a small system drive, 16GB is more than enough, and then you can use the 960GB SSD drive for user data.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Would it be possible to partition the drive and give the system 20gb and then mount the rest to be used as user data?

I want to avoid using multiple drives, but if it's not possible I'll just stick to the config I have now as I know I won't be using the whole drive.

• Would it be possible to partition the drive and give the system 20gb and then mount the rest to be used as user data?

I want to avoid using multiple drives, but if it's not possible I'll just stick to the config I have now as I know I won't be using the whole drive.

You might not be using the whole drive, but that doesn't mean some runaway unintended process won't.

It is possible to shrink the OS partition and create a new partition and filesystem in the newly made available free disk space.

This can not be done within the running OMV so you will need to do this from another running OS such as by installing and booting GParted Live (which is available in the System | Kernel section of OMV) if you have a keyboard and monitor attached.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Ok just so I understand correctly.

Could I run something like rescuezilla which has GParted and then shrink the drive so 20GB is for the system partition and the new partition of about 940GB will be used for data by mounting that instead? Will this prevent any unintended processes?

• Nothing can prevent unintended things from happening. But if they don't or can't write to the rootfs then they can't fill up the system drive and leave you in a potentially difficult place.

I don't use rescuezilla so I can't comment about its capabilities. When I need Gparted, I run Gparted. But I can't do that from my current OMV machine as it is headless and the SOL java GUI doesn't work. If and when I would need to run Gparted on my OMV system disk, I would have to take the disk to another machine or boot another Linux on it and run parted in the shell. My OMV is on a 16GB USB stick so this is easy. But the need for this hasn't come up in more almost six years of using OMV.

--

• I have another question that's not related to this that I was wondering if you could help me with.

I want to change the UUID of that new partition. What's the best way of going about doing this?

I have a portainer backup that I want to upload but they all have the old UUID of another drive I used to use. So I want to change the UUID of SSD to the UUID of my old HDD, so I don't have to go through each docker-compose file and change the location.

• I have another question that's not related to this that I was wondering if you could help me with.

I want to change the UUID of that new partition. What's the best way of going about doing this?

I have a portainer backup that I want to upload but they all have the old UUID of another drive I used to use. So I want to change the UUID of SSD to the UUID of my old HDD, so I don't have to go through each docker-compose file and change the location.

Do yourself a favour and switch to symlinking the docker volumes. In case you need to replace the disk you will be thankful.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Do yourself a favour and switch to symlinking the docker volumes. In case you need to replace the disk you will be thankful.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Would you be able to point me to the best guide or explain what symlinking is, as I haven't heard of that before?

Is the following guide safe to use?

• Symlinking is a means of giving a directory a differnt name. For example you can use

/Nas/docker as synonym (symbolic link) for /srv/disk-dev-by-is-<some_long_id>/docker

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link

You can follow the guide, but do not import existing symlinks, as you have not used them before and don't want to mess with the ones of the OS.

• Does my setup look right to you?

So the source UUID is the new partition I created for user data, and the destination is the UUID that my docker containers are linked to so that's the UUID I need to link because it's the same as my old HDD.

• That would work, but take the chance to make it right and give a meaningful name even if this means you have to change your stacks.

You can make it work that way and change the names step by step.

• Hello,

I have setup openmediavault 6 on debian 11.

Before installing OMV, I have made a partition of the SSD of 256 Gb as follow :

Then install OMV 6 with the github link.

Opening OMV I see the disk

But I cannot mount any partition of this disk

Then I have install the sharerootfs plugin as propose in the previous post.

This allow me to mount the sda2 partition

But the biggest partition sda4 is not mountable

Question Is there a possiblity to have access to the sda4 partition, mount it and use this space for the data's ? and how to do ?

Or should I make less partitions and put the OMV software on a bigger partition ? But I understand that this is more dangereous !

Thanks in advance for any help about this topic

Patrick

• Sorry ...

An other question.

It seems that the sda2 partition is in read only mode. ( probably because it contain the OMV software.)

With Samba share I can see the disk in the file explorer but I cannot write.

In OMV 6 where can I change the permissions of the file systems. ?

Thanks

Patrick

• Offizieller Beitrag

It seems that the sda2 partition is in read only mode.

Why do you think so?

With Samba share I can see the disk in the file explorer but I cannot write.

In OMV 6 where can I change the permissions of the file systems. ?

You need to create a share folder. Then add this shared folder to SMB service and enable SMB. Finally give privileges to the user that shall have access to the shared folder.

https://wiki.omv-extras.org/doku.php?id=omv6:new_user_guide

https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…misc_docs:nas_permissions

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!