OMV6 as an Active Directory Domain Controller (AC DC)

• I've been using OMV for many years now, both for personal NAS servers as well as storage servers for small businesses. But I'm now setting up a business that needs active directory for a small number of employees (<50)

I don't really want to set up a windows server dedicated to active directory, and prefer to set everything up on a single linux box. However, all guides available mess with the smb.conf file that already has groups and share settings.

All I managed to find on the forum here are topics discussing joining OMV to an existing OMV infrastructure, not setting up OMV as the main domain controller.

Any help would be appreciated

• Thank you ness1602

After looking up Zentyal, I don't prefer to go that route because I don't like Ubuntu, and I don't think installing a whole integrated server environment in a container in Debian/OMV is a good idea.

In addition, knowing bits and pieces about AD tells me that it's heavily dependent on DNS calls/configuration, that's why I think containerizing this particular service is not a feasible option for me.

I don't mind doing everything through ssh, I'm used to managing tons of services through SSH, it's the configuration part that I need help with in order not to clash with OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't like Ubuntu

Strange... Ubuntu is basically Debian.

I don't mind doing everything through ssh, I'm used to managing tons of services through SSH, it's the configuration part that I need help with in order not to clash with OMV

OMV owns the smb.conf file and there isn't a good way to change the settings needed to be a DC. OMV will overwrite changes you make to that file manually. You could run OMV as the host with the KVM plugin and run zentyal as a VM to be the DC.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Strange... Ubuntu is basically Debian.

My experience throughout the years are borked PPAs, and at some point messing up my bios chip in a laptop sometime around 2014/2015 with a hasty push of an untested kernel that was fixed after I replaced the laptop's chip, that's when I decided to use straight Debian as both a desktop and for my servers. I have since moved to Arch on the desktop, but Debian remained a reliable companion on the server side of things.

I have Zentyal as lxc in proxmox as a test AD and it works great. Yes, of course it needs DNS because that is how AD works.

After some research, I don't think there is a reliable way to do both OMV and an AD DC, I might try zentyal in a couple of days and see how it goes.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My experience throughout the years are borked PPAs

PPAs are not Ubuntu. I don't use them for exactly that reason. I maintain hundreds of Ubuntu Server VMs at work and they are rock solid. I run Ubuntu on all of my laptops and desktops at home with no issues. I've been using Ubuntu since 4.10 (the beginning).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!