Nextcloud asking to change the permissions to 0770 on a directory

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I ran sudo docker exec -it <docker-container name> /bin/bash

And found the data directory and applied chmod 0770 data/

But then I got a new error, and it seems to be a lot worse than the previous error.

Did you listen to a word I said? It is worse because you didn't do as I said.

I would probably just start over in this case or do a lot of reading on how those permissions are set.

• Did you listen to a word I said? It is worse because you didn't do as I said.

I would probably just start over in this case or do a lot of reading on how those permissions are set.

You told me to cd and find the directory where the data folder is stored which I did. You then said to use the following command sudo chmod 0770 directory_name, which I also did. At what point did I not listen to what you said when I did the only 2 things you advised me to do? That new error came about as soon as I applied that specific change.

I'll just delete the old containers and build it again and see what happens. Hopefully, that just fixes things.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You told me to cd and find the directory where the data folder is stored which I did. You then said to use the following command sudo chmod 0770 directory_name, which I also did. At what point did I not listen to what you said when I did the only 2 things you advised me to do? That new error came about as soon as I applied that specific change.

I'll just delete the old containers and build it again and see what happens. Hopefully, that just fixes things.

No, you bashed into the container and ran the command... that is why the error changed. The /data folder is mapped in your docker-compose.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Code
    volumes:
          - /path/to/appdata:/config
          - /path/to/data:/data

Whatever you listed to the left of :/data in your docker-compose.yml is your data folder

• Code
    volumes:
          - /path/to/appdata:/config
          - /path/to/data:/data

Whatever you listed to the left of :/data in your docker-compose.yml is your data folder

So I did a fresh install and it was working for a few days, then I got the same error again but this time I went to the path located in the docker-compose file and did "sudo chmod 0770 Data". But I still got the same error.

What went wrong this time?

I deployed the container again and it works fine, but out of nowhere I keep getting the error that tells me to make the data directory 0770. How do I stop that from happening?

• Post your YML but hide email, password, etc

Are you using a created shared folder on OMV to hold your Nextcloud DATA?

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I did a fresh install and it was working for a few days, then I got the same error again but this time I went to the path located in the docker-compose file and did "sudo chmod 0770 Data". But I still got the same error.

What went wrong this time?

I deployed the container again and it works fine, but out of nowhere I keep getting the error that tells me to make the data directory 0770. How do I stop that from happening?

Well the fact it has happened to you a second time, it's clearly something you are doing.

Post your docker-compose/stack file you're using.

How are you creating the directories involved? (Particularly the folders maapped to /data). It's strange this is working for a few days before it goes fubar.

• I was following a Youtube tutorial that walked through the set up here's the link

I'm new to this so maybe I have completely missed something that's causing an issue.

• Noone will watch a Youtube video here just to know what you're doing, sorry.

If you want to install Nextcloud, follow the guide from the forum that is the only one that is supported here.

Find it on the guides section.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was following a Youtube tutorial that walked through the set up here's the link

I'm new to this so maybe I have completely missed something that's causing an issue.

Is there any particular reason you didn't just follow the official instructions here on the forum?

• Is there any particular reason you didn't just follow the official instructions here on the forum?

Not really, every other tutorial worked well for me so I just assumed the nextcloud one will work with no problems since it was easy to follow.

So I found this on a guide but I removed the SWAG part since I don't need that. Would I have any issues running this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not really, every other tutorial worked well for me so I just assumed the nextcloud one will work with no problems since it was easy to follow.

So I found this on a guide but I removed the SWAG part since I don't need that. Would I have any issues running this?

Although it seems a little weird to have Nextcloud w/o external access... That should work fine if you don't intend to use swag... Just make sure you adjust the necessary lines indicated (passwords, PUID/PGID's, etc.)..

And just to get it out of the way since you're apparently watching dbtech videos... DO NOT USE PUID 998

• Although it seems a little weird to have Nextcloud w/o external access... That should work fine if you don't intend to use swag... Just make sure you adjust the necessary lines indicated (passwords, PUID/PGID's, etc.)..

And just to get it out of the way since you're apparently watching dbtech videos... DO NOT USE PUID 998

Yeah, I'm just creating this to be used on my local network, I want to just the hang of things before I start opening up to remote access etc. I know it can be dangerous to start opening things up to the internet without proper understanding.

And I didn't use PUID 998 in the docker-compose file, unless you mean that's what it defaults to if not specified?

I'll start looking at the guides here since you're saying they're better supported.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah, I'm just creating this to be used on my local network, I want to just the hang of things before I start opening up to remote access etc. I know it can be dangerous to start opening things up to the internet without proper understanding.

And I didn't use PUID 998 in the docker-compose file, unless you mean that's what it defaults to if not specified?

I'll start looking at the guides here since you're saying they're better supported.

No.. you need to make sure you have a user on your server assigned to PUID (1000 is the first user created, if you've created one)..

The 998 thing is something dbtech does that causes a lot of people permission problems w/ some containers and we have to discuss it frequently here.

• No.. you need to make sure you have a user on your server assigned to PUID (1000 is the first user created, if you've created one)..

The 998 thing is something dbtech does that causes a lot of people permission problems w/ some containers and we have to discuss it frequently here.

Oh I see, yeah I know how to get the correct ID for my user.

Thanks for the help.

• Twor more things

1. Linux is case sensitive when it comes to filenames.
      sudo chmod 0770 Data (#8) is different from sudo chmod 0770 data
    2. For the original nextcloud container the data directory (inside the container) is /var/www/html/data, so on your host it is
      /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-b547c458-72ff-4fc3-a4d0-65940dde8b0d/Config/Nextcloud/data

But you are better off using one of the supported methods here or by getting help from where you take the tutorials.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!