Trouble with mergerfs after upgrade

• I have struggled with this upgrade quite a lot.

At long last OMV6 is running but I have issues with mergerfs.

When I uncomment the mergerfs mountpoints in my fstab I can get access to my files but as soon as I reboot the system I end up with a read-only root partition. The file systems also don't show up in Storage > File Systems regardless wether they are mounted in debian or not.

Further OMV claims in System > Plugins that "openmediavault-unionfilesystems 5.1.2" is still installed. According to debian "openmediavault-mergerfs 6.1.1" is installed. I can neither uninstall the old plugin via the gui nor install the new one. Purging the package via shell removes the plugin the change is not reflected in the GUI.

Any idea how to fix this?

• I have run fix5to6upgrade several times what stands out is the following output:

"cp: cannot stat '/usr/sbin/omv-mkaptidx': No such file or directory"

Appart from that the Pplugin list is still not accurate.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von muevault () aus folgendem Grund: added info

• The logs are full of the following:

"ledmon[1741]: controller discovery: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:2e:00.2 - enclosure management not supported."

I am not shure if this was the case befor the upgrade. Other than that there are a few errors from failed access to shares in the missing file systems.

• Bit what is the reason for the ro filesystem and can you remount it rw?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• rw root occurs when I boot with my old mergerfs config in fstab. I can remount as rw, comment out my two mergerfs pools and then reboot.

I can then uncomment and mount my pools but omv does not pick them up despite not changing the config since before upgrade.

I don't know what has changed and why i get a ro root fs when rebooting.

• Offizieller Beitrag

fix omv-mkaptidx with RE: OMV 5 to OMV 6 upgrade issue

sudo omv-mkaptidx

sudo omv-aptclean

then post: dpkg -l | grep openme

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Code
    dpkg -l | grep openme
    omvextras-unionbackend       5.0.2              all          union filesystems backend plugin for openmediavault
    openmediavault               6.0.19-2           all          openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    openmediavault-keyring       1.0                all          GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    openmediavault-mergerfs      6.1.1              all          mergerfs plugin for openmediavault.
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg  6.0.8              all          OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
    openmediavault-resetperms    6.0                all          Reset Permissions
    openmediavault-snapraid      6.0.4              all          snapraid plugin for OpenMediaVault.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von muevault () aus folgendem Grund: improved formating

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, you can remove omvextras-unionbackend. It looks like mergerfsfolders and unionfilesystems were purged which means the config is gone. The mergerfs plugin can't import anything without the config. So, I would do:

sudo omv-salt deploy run fstab

recreate your mergerfs pool.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

you will have to remove them from the mntent section of /etc/openmediavault/config.xml. Backup the file before editing.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I also had to change the <mntentref> values of the existing shares to the uuids of the new mergerfs pools.

If the upgrade would have gone well, you wouldn't have had to do that. This is hard to avoid when the upgrade fails.

• This is hard to avoid when the upgrade fails

No worries, it was easy enough.

I just wanted to mention it, in case anyone else has the mergerfs issue and thus has to recreate mergerfs pools.

Also, in case you use the path to mergerfs pools for volumes in docker containers, those have to be changed to the new pools to.

Thanks for the help.

P.s.: I figured out what happened. For some reason I must have run the "fix5to6upgrade" script way too early.

• muevault

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Hello,

I know that its generally not a verry good thing to kick up old threats but the TS has hade the same issue as i am facing now.

I managed to get rid of the old integration as well removed the old fuse.mergefs from the mntent section.

This indeed got rid of the the old array but now im facing the problem i cant create a new one.

This is the error that pops up:

Code
    Failed to execute XPath query '//system/fstab/mntent[uuid='3ec5a07d-e8fe-455f-905d-202ca2ff6abe']'.

OMV\Config\DatabaseException: Failed to execute XPath query '//system/fstab/mntent[uuid='3ec5a07d-e8fe-455f-905d-202ca2ff6abe']'. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/config/database.inc:78
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/sharemgmt.inc(251): OMV\Config\Database->get('conf.system.fil...', '3ec5a07d-e8fe-4...')
    #1 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\ShareMgmt->get(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('get', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('ShareMgmt', 'get', Array, Array, 1)
    #5 {main}

I think it tries to make a new point but it cant because the shared folder i would like it to point to still exists and might have a faulty reference.

How do i resolve this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I managed to get rid of the old integration as well removed the old fuse.mergefs from the mntent section.

Here is your first problem. The mergerfs plugin migrates mergerfs mounts. Now that you edited things, we have no idea what state your system is in.

I think it tries to make a new point but it cant because the shared folder i would like it to point to still exists and might have a faulty reference.

How do i resolve this?

The new plugin will not allow the old mountpoint for a new pool. I have no idea why you want that but you could create a symlink.

Is the pool still mounted? All I can recommend for your system that is in a weird state is remove any mergerfs references from the mntent section, from /etc/fstab, and reboot.

• Well that was the problem in the first place, during the upgrade from OMV5 to OMV6 the old unionfs was obsolete resulting in not be able to see any file system.

I found this thread saying to uninstall the old v5 plugin and then reinstall the new V6 plugin which i did.

Like muevault i saw the filesystems return and there was an indication the old Fuse.mergefs went missing.

I removed the Fuse.mergefs from the config.xml like muevault and now i want to make a new pool so that its all back the way it should be.

The reason i tried to use the old mountpoint is because of the reason the old mountpoint is used in different spots like samba.

I assume the pool is still mounted because data is still available on the SMB shares.

I don't mind removing all references to mergerfs but is my data still accessible?

According to the documentation i found it should be as long as i dont erease/whipe the disks?

Just a little unsure because its mainly photos stored on the drives and it takes a long time to restore the backup.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!