Upgrade failed from 5.6.28 to 6.0 with "omv-release-upgrade"

• I got the latest updates for my OMV and rebooted it and everything was working fine. All my plugins seems to be on the approved list. Just using, luks, unionbackend, and snapraid,

I typed the omv-release-upgrade and it failed. Here is what i could capture from my terminal.

It fails when the collectd service fails to restart due to filename being too long. and then all the other packages after start to fail.

Failed to restart collectd.service: Unit srv-ae0f5928\x2d3495\x2d4ef8\x2d9e08\x2d3cfa3665428d.mount failed to load properly: File name too long.

Any ideas how to recover?

Full code at the bottom.

• I wanted to edit this in my post but i hit the character limit.

How can i update unionbackend and unionfilesystem. I guess i was supposed to update them to new name of mergerfs?

omv-release-upgrade is missing now. So not sure how best to update those now.

Code
     dpkg -l | grep openm
    ii  omvextras-unionbackend            5.0.2                        all          union filesystems backend plugin for openmediavault
    iU  openmediavault                    6.0.20-1                     all          openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ii  openmediavault-keyring            1.0                          all          GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    iU  openmediavault-luksencryption     6.0                          all          OpenMediaVault LUKS encryption plugin
    iU  openmediavault-omvextrasorg       6.0.8                        all          OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
    iU  openmediavault-snapraid           6.0.4                        all          snapraid plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii  openmediavault-unionfilesystems   5.1.4                        all          Union filesystems plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

How can i update unionbackend and unionfilesystem. I guess i was supposed to update them to new name of mergerfs?

If omv-release-upgrade succeeds, they would've automatically been upgraded to mergerfs. But your upgrade failed before that. So, as Zoki mentioned, run the fix script and then follow the steps in the linked I posted.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Here are my results from running the scripts.

fix5to6upgrade

purge-union script

• Offizieller Beitrag

You still need to purge omvextras-unionbackend (not sure why that didn't happen if you purged the unionfilesystem plugin) - sudo apt-get purge omvextras-unionbackend

Then run.

sudo omv-aptclean

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Awesome. well the gui is working it all looks cleaned up now.

the drives are mounted. I have not rebooted yet. so that might make me a little nervious when i do. (af

but thank you so much. I will be donating for sure when i get back from work tonight. I do appreciate the forum support!

As these type of upgrades tend to make one a little nervous when it comes to data. :P

• Offizieller Beitrag

the drives are mounted. I have not rebooted yet. so that might make me a little nervious when i do.

I would uncheck the fstab checkbox in the pool if it doesn't.

As these type of upgrades tend to make one a little nervous when it comes to data

If you do have issues with the pool, that won't affect the data on the underlying filesystems.

• fstab was checked. So i unchecked it as you recommended. I rebooted the system and everything is working fine!

I also sent in a paypal donation. Keep up the great work. Thanks!

• Hello,

i had the same problem and needed to invest a couple of hours to fix it.

At the first attempt to upgrade from 5 to 6 it completely destroyed the installation, it wouldn't boot anymore. it hang at a certain point but I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the installation. At the first attempt I got these errors:

Code
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    collectd-core
    collectd
    openmediavault
    openmediavault-fail2ban
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg
    openmediavault-luksencryption
    grub-pc
    W: --force-yes is deprecated, use one of the options starting with --allow instead.
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I don't remember exactly what I did afterwards, but as I said, it didn't boot afterwards and couldn't get it to run with a rescue system.

Then I rolled back the btrfs snapshot using grml.

I removed all openmediavault-* plugins including openmediavault-unionfilesystems but I forgot to purge them.

Then run the upgrade again and then picked up on the "file name too long" error as in the first post here.

these packages were marked as failed:

Code
    collectd-core
    collectd
    openmediavault
    grub-pc

more on grub-pc below.

I tried the fix5to6upgrade script but it made it worse, only threw more errors and probably messed up /etc/pam.d:

I hope I fixed those by copying the .dpkg-new files to the original filenames (not the filename with ".real").

Is that fine?

what about the ".real" files?

I managed to fix the collect.d issue by commenting out the mergerfs entry in fstab and then ran:

omv-salt deploy run fstab

then apt could be fixed by:

apt-get install -f

then I was able to purge the remaining plugin packages, including openmediavault-unionfilesystems

for some reason grub-pc failed on grub-install and running it again with apt-get install -f didn't work, but then you can skip it so it marks the package as OK. the system still boots.

in the filesystem webgui, i get this error, until i installed the mergerfs plugin.

Code
    500 - Internal Server Error
    No file system backend exists for 'fuse.mergerfs'

But now the old mergerfs filesystem is listed as missing and when I try to edit it, I get the general "software failure. press the left mouse button to continue".

So I recreated the mergerfs volume with the new plugin and switched the existing shares to the new filesystem (thankfully that worked and it was not necessary to recreate the shares)

To get rid of the erroneous filesystem entry, I removed it from the /etc/openmediavault/config.xml by hand.

I hope it's fine now.

Maybe there is a way to make this better for other users?

• now my server failed to boot again. root was mounted as read-only.

again, I saw the "filename too long" error in dmesg.

see omv-extras plugins - porting progress to OMV 6.x (done)

the problem might have been, that I selected the existing filesystems before and now I've left the filesystems empty but entered the paths manually.

I've created very short softlinks to the filesystems on /, eg "/disk1" that I entered.

i Hope I fixed it now

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!