I have seen the LSI light.

• Fellow NAS folks,

I have seen the light. After months of tinkering with my home brew NAS, I was always getting an error. So one day last week a light went off in my head, mind you a rather dim one, but it was a light never the less. And what was that light? To get this tinkerer an LSI 9211-8i SAS card. And magically all the errors messages have gone away. It works, my home brew NAS actually works with no errors. Even ZFS is happy, no more scary undecipherable message from the mighty ZFS.

To all the tinkerers that want to make their own NAS do yourself a favor and get an LSI 9211-8i SAS card, or some other model of SAS card from LSI. Your connectivity headaches will go away. It wasn't too expensive, I spent about $70 bucks for mine and it was totally worth it.

Happy NASsing.

Bart

• BartJY A bad SATA cable/connection can cause zfs to spew out errors. Your 9211-8i is a useful assist, but if you're using a standard PC case, keep an eye of the card's temp as they can run hot when not used in a server case with forced cooling.

Happy, tinkering.

• External connectors: cables as expensive as the card itself :(

I paid $36 for the pair of 1M long cables.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• BartJY A bad SATA cable/connection can cause zfs to spew out errors. Your 9211-8i is a useful assist, but if you're using a standard PC case, keep an eye of the card's temp as they can run hot when not used in a server case with forced cooling.

Happy, tinkering.

Great advice. And too that end, I've put a 40mm fan on the LSI heat-sink. Now it hover around 94 F. I can live with that.

• I put a 40mm Noctua fan on my LSI card but didn't have any way to measure the temperature and have since retired the machine the card is in. I didn't have any small plastic screws to mount it so I tied it on with dental floss. LOL.

I might pull the fan and put it on my onboard LSI SAS chip, a SAS2008(B2) in my current OMV box, a Chenbro NR12000 which is currently running at 69C (156F) a bit warm for my taste.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I use an LSI 8361-8i with SAS drives and it's incredibly reliable. I'm using hardware raid though and it sounds like maybe you are assembling with zfs. I replaced the heat sink thermal paste and then mounted a noctua fan to the heatsink. The heatsink is aluminum and if you find the right screw size the threads tightly fit between the fins. This is very commonly done with these cards. If you run the megaraid software you can get the temp info on all the drives, the battery backup unit and the lsi chip. I can probably tell you how to install the megaraid software if you cannot find the instructions. The megaraid client I run on my windows desktop and it connects to the drivers installed on debian.

steve

• I am no longer using the card as I retired the machine it is in.

My current machine has the LSI SAS controller on the motherboard and I have access to its temperature along with more than thirty other sensors.

--

• I put a 40mm Noctua fan on my LSI card but didn't have any way to measure the temperature and have since retired the machine the card is in. I didn't have any small plastic screws to mount it so I tied it on with dental floss. LOL.

I might pull the fan and put it on my onboard LSI SAS chip, a SAS2008(B2) in my current OMV box, a Chenbro NR12000 which is currently running at 69C (156F) a bit warm for my taste.

Hey, regarding floss, any port in a storm. LOL I didn't have any nylon screw as well, but I checked with my ohmmeter to make sure that there was no possible electrical connection before I used small steel screws.

• The motherboard in my Chenbro NR12000 server is a Tyan S5512WGM2NR.

--

• I added a small 40mm fan to the onboard LSI SAS controller heatsink in my Chenbro server. It reduced the SAS chip case temperature by seven degrees to 62C (144F). Worth the effort and the fan was lying around in a spare parts drawer unused.

The ambient environment the server sits in is 33C (91F).

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!