Should I get a static IP address?

• Hi, we are moving, and I have waited to set up my server until we move.

When we switch the internet service, my dad asked our provider, and they said we could get a static IP address for an extra $5 a month.

Is it worth it for when I make it so I can access services from other networks? Or any other reason? Also for eventually setting up another server with some sort of VPN on it, probably wireguard. (Haven't researched VPNs a ton yet, feel free to give suggestions lol)

• Offizieller Beitrag

said we could get a static IP address for an extra $5 a month.

You would be crazy not to.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Hi, we are moving, and I have waited to set up my server until we move.

When we switch the internet service, my dad asked our provider, and they said we could get a static IP address for an extra $5 a month.

Is it worth it for when I make it so I can access services from other networks? Or any other reason? Also for eventually setting up another server with some sort of VPN on it, probably wireguard. (Haven't researched VPNs a ton yet, feel free to give suggestions lol)

Do you have a public but dynamic IP or CGNAT with private IPS if you do not buy the static public IP?

I would not go for the static IP if I get a dynamic public IP. For anything else you can use dyndns.

For 5$ you get a virtual server with static IP, but prices depend on where you are.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• $5 is a good deal but unless there is a specific technical reason that requires a static IP you can probably get by with a free dynamic DNS service that maps a free domain name to a dynamic IP address.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Sorry, my computers been packed up and I didn’t have my password memorized. I got my password notepad unpacked now though :)

you have a public but dynamic IP or CGNAT with private IPS if you do not buy the static public IP?

I don’t really understand this, I am still a beginner to the software side of the internet lol. But I could send you a screenshot of the router web interface it that would say what it is.

Also, I found that I could get a free DNS name with cloudflare, and set up a cron thingy on a server to make my domain be the same. Would this basically do what a static IP would do?

I can’t do it on my router because the calix ones are locked to only do a certain dns provider that charges lots of money

Thank y’all so much

• ddclient can be installed on almost anything, so a Docker is not a problem.

If you have a public IP and are not on cgnat this should be enough for home systems.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• I think my plan is this now: Not get a static IP because I don’t really need one right now. (I also talked to ISP, they said it can be added later without a hassle)

Then, buy a domain name, probably from cloudflare. (I have to think of a name I like thats not taken, my goats name is surprisingly already taken).

If I understand correctly from cloudflare, that should only cost me 10-15 dollars a year as opposed to $60.

After that, set up a docker on my server to update it (after I set up server).

Thanks!

• If you do not insist on a special name, you can go with duckdns for free. th name will be something like

*.<my_name<.duckdns.org

• Offizieller Beitrag

I thought cloudflare domains were like $20 a month (if you don't use a free one)?

• I thought cloudflare domains were like $20 a month (if you don't use a free one)?

nope, they are competitively priced. what i like about cloudflare domains is that they supposedly don’t get super expensive to renew 'cause cloudflare isnt charging extra. I bought a .cc domain <my_goats_name>.cc for 8 dollars for one year. different tld names are different prices. like .net was 33 dollars or smthng. but no one had bought any domain of this name

• Offizieller Beitrag

oh cool KM0201, I just saw your how-to. thats basically exactly what im gonna be doing

Hope it helps.. like I said it's a situation I know I'll be facing soon. It's really not hard, it's just tedious, thus that ended up super long.

I never looked at cloudlare domains.. I had read they were pricey... But it sounds like they are fairly in line with namecheap (I've personally used domain.com for several years... But it's pricing is similar to namecheap). My domain.com domain I got for $2 a couple years ago and now it's about $12 a year. Obviously if you went directly with cloudflare that would remove the step of having to change nameservers, etc. on namecheap.

One thing I noticed in this is pricing is all over the place. As long as you stay away from .com, .org, .net, and other common ones, they can be had quite cheap. .xyz, .cc, .self and several others are ones that I noticed were generally very reasonable ($1-$4 for the first year, then $10-$15/yr after that)

The other key as you mentioned, is staying away from all those extras. Those add up QUICK, and in the case for what most folks here want.. they are unneeded.

Hope it helps

• Hopefully I will save money in the long run because cloudflare domains are the same price to buy as they are to renew.

DB Tech has a video about cloudflare dynamic dns. it is very fast paced but it shows how to do it too

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hopefully I will save money in the long run because cloudflare domains are the same price to buy as they are to renew.

DB Tech has a video about cloudflare dynamic dns. it is very fast paced but it shows how to do it too

He does... there's two main things I disliked about his approach (but it is where I got the idea).

The docker container he uses to update the DNS has a few issues.

No matter how I tried, you cannot schedule when it updates. It's either every 5min, or nothing at all. Every 5min is excessive. I figured out a way to overcome this by scheduling the container to restart when I wanted to refresh the IP

Second (and far bigger issue), if you check the containers github page, folks are complaining about multiple vulnerabilities in the container that have not been addressed (it appears the container is not actively maintained)... https://github.com/oznu/docker-cloudflare-ddns/issues/96

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!