backup of my entire system or disk omv

• Hi friends,

I want to change my OMV server to a different more powerful machine but I would like to make an image of my entire omv5 system with my dockers and all my omv configuration in case something goes wrong with the change of machine and return to the exact point before making the change.

on my new machine I will also install omv5 with the same configurations and data disks so I don't know if there is also a way to do another backup of just the omv5 configuration so I don't have to waste too much time on that either since it will be a different machine but the omv configurations will be the same, including the dockers

I have thought about using duplcati for the 1st image of the complete system but I am not sure how to do it, so if you could advise or point me to a tutorial I would greatly appreciate it since the ones I have found are different and confuse me more.

now for the 2nd task of a backup of the omv configuration I don't know what I could use to backup and restore it on the new machine

thank you :)

MAINROUTER:
    Raspberry PI 4 - OpenWRT
    𝗦𝗲𝗿𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗢𝗠𝗩5 (Debian 10 Buster):
    Optiplex 7010
    CPU:
    Intel Core i3-3225
    Ram: 8gb,
    Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.12-amd64
    OMV: 5.x Usul
    Docker: 5.x~debian-buster
    Portainer: 2.11.1
    Containers: Heimdall, Duplicati, qBitorrent, Scrutinity, Smokeping, Speedtest, Node-Exporter, Prometheus, Cadvisor, Grafana
    disk 1 - SSD 128gb
    partition sda1 / = 10gb
    partition sda5 swap = 4gb

disk 2 HDD 4tb

• now for the 2nd task of a backup of the omv configuration I don't know what I could use to backup and restore it on the new machine

This can not be done.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• This can not be done.

ok thanks for clearing my doubts

MAINROUTER:
    Raspberry PI 4 - OpenWRT
    Optiplex 7010
    CPU:
    Intel Core i3-3225
    Containers: Heimdall, Duplicati, qBitorrent, Scrutinity, Smokeping, Speedtest, Node-Exporter, Prometheus, Cadvisor, Grafana
    disk 1 - SSD 128gb
    partition sda1 / = 10gb

disk 2 HDD 4tb
  • Would you have any advice or way to make a backup or image of my current OMV with the dockers and everything to avoid losing any information and restore it if something goes wrong?

MAINROUTER:
    Raspberry PI 4 - OpenWRT
    Optiplex 7010
    CPU:
    Intel Core i3-3225
    disk 1 - SSD 128gb
    partition sda1 / = 10gb

disk 2 HDD 4tb
    • Offizieller Beitrag

with the dockers and everything

That’s a pretty tall order. It all depends on what your docker path is and what “everything” involves.

Start out by shutting your server down and backing up your OS using this guide. There is a section for Windows, Mac or Linux.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Have look at Clonezilla.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• That’s a pretty tall order. It all depends on what your docker path is and what “everything” involves.

Start out by shutting your server down and backing up your OS using this guide. There is a section for Windows, Mac or Linux.

thanks... but i coudnt wait and i just pray to the great elephant child asking him to keep me out of trouble with his big trunk and just install omv5 in my new machine...

and it worked without any problem 😅 now im configuratin all my dockers, but i will readit to know how to configure a permanent backup system

MAINROUTER:
    Raspberry PI 4 - OpenWRT
    Optiplex 7010
    CPU:
    Intel Core i3-3225
    disk 1 - SSD 128gb
    partition sda1 / = 10gb

disk 2 HDD 4tb
  • Have look at Clonezilla.

in the kernels aparted?... ok rigth thanks

i will install gparted too

MAINROUTER:
    Raspberry PI 4 - OpenWRT
    Optiplex 7010
    CPU:
    Intel Core i3-3225
    disk 1 - SSD 128gb
    partition sda1 / = 10gb

disk 2 HDD 4tb

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!