Intermittent external access to the server (ovm, duckdns, nginx proxy manager)

• Good night,

I have a NAS working with openmediavault, nextcloud, nginx proxy manager and duckdns. In my internal network everything works perfectly, however when I try to establish the external connection I am facing an annoying problem. When my ISP updates my external IP, my duckdns subdomains are able to reach the server, but after some time, the url no longer resolves. When my ISP makes a new update of my IP, I can again access my server externally, and the access is interrupted again shortly after. Even with external access interrupted, I can ping my subdomains through the terminal, but in the browser the pages are not displayed. Does anyone have an idea what it could be? Thanks.

• Create a simple script to update your IP to duckdns every 30m for eg.

It is explained on the duckdns page.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Good night,

I have a NAS working with openmediavault, nextcloud, nginx proxy manager and duckdns. In my internal network everything works perfectly, however when I try to establish the external connection I am facing an annoying problem. When my ISP updates my external IP, my duckdns subdomains are able to reach the server, but after some time, the url no longer resolves. When my ISP makes a new update of my IP, I can again access my server externally, and the access is interrupted again shortly after. Even with external access interrupted, I can ping my subdomains through the terminal, but in the browser the pages are not displayed. Does anyone have an idea what it could be? Thanks.

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/duckdns/

The answer to your problem

• I think I didn't express myself well, but the problem is not my IP update in duckdns. I checked and the container I installed to do the IP updates is working normally. I believe that the problem is with the configuration of ports on my network, but I honestly don't know how to fix it.

• Post your YML in a codebox and some screenshot of your portforward of the router.

Hide any sensible data

• When my ISP updates my external IP, my duckdns subdomains are able to reach the server, but after some time, the url no longer resolves.

try:

- nslookup <my.duckdns.domain> when it works and when it does not.

- ping <external.ip.of.your.router>

- ping <my.duckdns.domain> (Ping needs to be enabled on your router)

- url --header "Host: <my.duckdns.domain>" http://<external.ip.of.your.router>/

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Post your YML in a codebox and some screenshot of your portforward of the router.

Hide any sensible data

Nginx Proxy Manager

Portainer

Router

• Both domains resolve to 187.58.72.151 Is this correct for today?

Because there is no response to ping, http or https.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Mapluil

Looking at your portainer, I can only guess that you used/follow a "DBTech guide" (I recall some showing the different steps for Nextcloud and then adding Nginx Proxy Manager).

Sorry but for me this is confusing and I can't see/understand the interactions between the several stacks.

Speccially, between NPM and the stack of Nextcloud.

Most people here use SWAG or Traefik, instead of NPM.

NPM is using a DB just for it and then you have another instance of mariaDB (running with port 41953) for Nextcloud.

And, more confusing is why you're using 2x domains with duckdns.org on NPM.

If you want to access to Nextcloud from WAN, you should only be using HTTPS.

Again, I don't have any experience with NPM other than I gave up trying to use it since SWAG is more straight-forward (for me, at least)

If you can/want to start fresh and change to SWAG, say so and we can guide you easely to try to solve your problem.

• I appreciate your help. I'd like guidance to configure openmediavault with nextcloud and swag. Can you point me to a tutorial that I can follow?

• I think I see where the problem is:

You are forwarding our public IP (80,443) to 192.168.25.21 (90, 450) which is the nginx proxy manager

Then you ask the nginx proxy manager to forwart 192.168.25.21 (90, 450) to 192.168.25.21 (90, 450) (this is a loop, making nginx proxy manager forward to itself)

nginx proxy manager should forward to 192.168.25.21:443 (which is nextcloud) You do not have a http port for nextcloud.

But setting up swag with a tutorial supported here is the better idea.

The guide is here: [How-To] Nextcloud with swag (Letsencrypt) using OMV and docker-compose

• Thank you Zoki. I'll try this tutorial and the port modification you suggested.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!