MY NAS Build

• HP Proliant DL380 G10

2 x Silver 4216 2.1Ghz 16 Core (32Core Total)

384 GB RAM

36TB SAS

nVIDIA Quadro P400 (For Transcoding (HEVC Compat))

4 GB NIC

2 10GB NIC

2 SPF+

6.0.24-1 (Shaitan)

Linux 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

Docker, Portainer

-- Plex, Transmission, SWAG, ExpressVPN, Heimdall, NextCloud, Kavita, Firework (working through ExpressVPN

Samba

KVM

-- Linux Email and WWW Servers

--- Slackware 15

• what are you doing with that monster except heating your flat?

I am looking for some more powerfully than my Gen8 Microserver, but your option seems to be too much for me.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• I will say this;

I did not buy the machine for OMV.

My intentions was to run VMWARE ESXi to host the multiple VM's, OMV being on of them. But from this message board I was advised/recommended to run OMV as core system and then run VM's via KVM.

There are about 10 users any given time, mostly for email server and low end stuff.

Honestly the only expensive part of the system was 384 GB RAM nad quite possibly the 36TB HD's...Both are easily changeable to ones needs.

Unless you plan on gaming, I have used Proliant GEN9/10 for NAS's and LOVE em.

Sure, they can be loud or hot but I have my system/location for my needs.

I had purchased a Gen9 for 1100 bucks a little bit ago.. 192 GB RAM, 8TB SSD and it was awesome

Look up Proliant DLGEN9/10 on ebay or what not... Gen8 is same as well, just a little older (though i use a gen8 for a linux email server)

Yes, for OMV it is overkill.. But i guess I am that way

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you want to run OMV as VM i'v recomend Proxmox and passing HDD to it

Why? OMV has a kvm plugin now that is the same hypervisor that Proxmox uses. Proxmox is overkill for most OMV users.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure if you were talking to Me about Proxmox, I’ve never heard of it. Sounds like a virus Middle Ages plague

It is a KVM based hypervisor. Very good and open source.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

its just my opinion

Now explain why... If you install the proxmox kernel with the kernel plugin, you would have:

Proxmox 7.0 server is proxmox kernel + Debian Bullseye userland giving you KVM VMs.

OMV 6.x with kvm plugin is proxmox kernel + Debian Bullseye userland giving you KVM VMs.

I have run Proxmox since 3.x and I am an enterprise VMware admin for my day job. I know virtualization well. While the kvm plugin doesn't have as many features (not trying to compete), it does give you what you need (or at least what I need based on my day to day VMware experience).

• Is just my opinon

Im also VM admin (esix in old job) and now Hyper-V

and as i statde in previus post : if server is fo sharing then OMV and KVM but is sharing(smb etc) isn its primery goal than Hypervisor type 1 anv omv as VM

for me its just simpler to manage , but ist just my habbits

besides in home i'v got OMV and KVM on top , becouse my primery job for "server" is smb and KVM is for fun

• Offizieller Beitrag

sn its primery goal than Hypervisor type 1 anv omv as VM

But why? Proxmox is the exact same hypervisor type as OMV running kvm plugin. In my opinion, it is about complexity. For most people at home, they will never need what proxmox offers and the kvm plugin will do what they need in a simpler fashion.

for me its just simpler to manage , but ist just my habbits

Please tell me how? I wrote the kvm plugin with the goal of being simpler. I know creating a VM is definitely easier.

now Hyper-V

I'm sorry lol.

• I'm sorry lol.

Well is not my choice but in mostly windows environment the hyper-v core is pretty good (and free) ;) (it got is quorks like forcing AD for managing etc) but you know i'v just take it over from previus admin ;-), but veam as backup and its not so bad ;)

I know the proxmox is just debian + kvm and qemu but for me its just simpler to manage

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, if you think of specifics on why it is simpler, let me know. I need to stop derailing this thread.

• I run the majority of all my stuff om OMV; 2 different servers actually, but I also run Proxmox (now that I have learned about it) and run OPNsense through it. My main reason, and not because of OMV vs. Proxmox, but just as something different, is because that fact is I do reboot my OMV's for various reasons.. I know I do not have to.. But the proxmox is it's [opnsense] sole purpose. I suppose I could run OPNsense as the OS and drop proxmox, but I would lose the advantages of the hardware.

I agree. Through OMV I can and do and have run everything essential (and I have run OPNsense on it too) and it does everything it needs to the same as prox. I suppose, aside from the hardcores who have a purpose beyond home user, I would say its chevy vs ford. What's your flavor?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!