How do you setup qbittorrent with docker on OMV 6?

• For docker and containers (linuxserver containers are well documented as well)

https://docs.linuxserver.io/

Have another question, I tried reading through the documentation for docker compose but couldn't figure this out. What do the volumes lines actually technically do, and what do I need to do to fully change them? I have a pre-made folder called "torrents" with all my files already in it, I want to to point qBittorrent nox towards this folder to load in all these files. When I try to do that inside of qBittorrent it says "cannot make save path". I tried changing the value in both the docker-compose.yml file and the same information on the portainer stack for this, but it still does not work, and I don't really understand what it's doing, I suspect it's trying to create a new volume in the specified location called "downloads" which is not at all what I'm trying to do.

Is it possible to just point it at an existing folder? I'm not sure if docker volumes are even technically the same thing as folders, I read a bit about that and couldn't figure it out. Is it possible to rename the statement after the colon in the volume line like :/downloads to something like :/torrents or does the software rely on it being called a certain thing?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have another question, I tried reading through the documentation for docker compose but couldn't figure this out. What do the volumes lines actually technically do, and what do I need to do to fully change them? I have a pre-made folder called "torrents" with all my files already in it, I want to to point qBittorrent nox towards this folder to load in all these files. When I try to do that inside of qBittorrent it says "cannot make save path". I tried changing the value in both the docker-compose.yml file and the same information on the portainer stack for this, but it still does not work, and I don't really understand what it's doing, I suspect it's trying to create a new volume in the specified location called "downloads" which is not at all what I'm trying to do.

Is it possible to just point it at an existing folder? I'm not sure if docker volumes are even technically the same thing as folders, I read a bit about that and couldn't figure it out. Is it possible to rename the statement after the colon in the volume line like :/downloads to something like :/torrents or does the software rely on it being called a certain thing?

source_path:/container_path.

I didn't know you already had a torrents folder, but if that's the case, just add the absolute path to that Torrents folder, to the left of the colon on the /downloads path, and redeploy the stack.

source_path: This is the absolute path to the the folder on your system.

container_path: This is the path the container sees.... So lets use emby as an example, since it has multiple volume paths... https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/emby

So if you look at that docker-compose, I set up my volumes something like this and deploy the stack

/srv/some-uuid/AppData/emby:/config

/srv/some-uuid/Media/TV:/tv

/srv/some-uuid/Media/Music:/music

/srv/some-uuid/Media/Movies:/movies

When I start configuring emby in it's webUI and adding media folders to it, I don't add /srv/some-uuid/Media/TV to add a tv folder. Emby can't see that path because it can't see outside the container. What emby can see, is "/tv" and that is where my tv shows will be stored for emby to scan. Same with music, movies, and whatever else I may add to emby.

Hopefully that makes sense.

• So in essence what you're saying is that I could take the line: "- /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-84475483-4c80-4f1d-a765-e6918b958631/Downloads:/downloads", change it to the same thing but after the colon I replace with /torrents, then put in "/torrents" in qbittorrent nox download location settings, and it should be able to use it just like any other folder?

I think that's bang on, I just tested it and that works. Thank you very much for the explanations! Really makes everything a lot easier to digest initially.

It's disorienting to me that with both Samba and Docker containers you generally refer to folders as just "/folder" instead of giving absolute paths, when everything else on linux seems to be extremely specific. I love it, saves a lot of hassle, disorienting though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So in essence what you're saying is that I could take the line: "- /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-84475483-4c80-4f1d-a765-e6918b958631/Downloads:/downloads", change it to the same thing but after the colon I replace with /torrents, then put in "/torrents" in qbittorrent nox download location settings, and it should be able to use it just like any other folder?

I think that's bang on, I just tested it and that works. Thank you very much for the explanations! Really makes everything a lot easier to digest initially.

It's disorienting to me that with both Samba and Docker containers you generally refer to folders as just "/folder" instead of giving absolute paths, when everything else on linux seems to be extremely specific. I love it, saves a lot of hassle, disorienting though.

well SMB, NFS, etc.. are whole different beasts.. :)

As for docker.. it's a little complicated at first, but once you get the hang of it.. you'll wonder why you ever used anything else for services. I was a late adopter and didn't really pick up on it till about 2yrs ago, now I'm running 16 containers. Like I said, when you're new, I highly recommend checking linuxserver first, as their containers are just simple and have a very consistent setup. I'm pretty comfortable with containers now, and I still usually check them first if I'm looking to add something (I think I have 11 linuxserver containers running, and 5 that are just other containers I've found useful). Since I primarily use my NAS as a media server. Then you can look into getting a domain, setting up a reverse proxy to the domain for those services (Airsonic, Nextcloud, Emby, Piwigo, Filebrowser, and a few others) and getting certs for those services so they are secured.

• well SMB, NFS, etc.. are whole different beasts.. :)

As for docker.. it's a little complicated at first, but once you get the hang of it.. you'll wonder why you ever used anything else for services. I was a late adopter and didn't really pick up on it till about 2yrs ago, now I'm running 16 containers. Like I said, when you're new, I highly recommend checking linuxserver first, as their containers are just simple and have a very consistent setup. I'm pretty comfortable with containers now, and I still usually check them first if I'm looking to add something (I think I have 11 linuxserver containers running, and 5 that are just other containers I've found useful). Since I primarily use my NAS as a media server. Then you can look into getting a domain, setting up a reverse proxy to the domain for those services (Airsonic, Nextcloud, Emby, Piwigo, Filebrowser, and a few others) and getting certs for those services so they are secured.

For sure will heed this advice. I'm only using it for two purposes: 24/7 torrent seeder and home media server, so the configuration is probably extremely simple relative to most other things once it's going. My approach is generally to try and get a basically functioning machine that sort of does the job, then go back and optimize everything afterwards once I have some idea of what I'm dealing with and what I can do with it. Most of my torrents are seeding now so already most of the way there now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For sure will heed this advice. I'm only using it for two purposes: 24/7 torrent seeder and home media server, so the configuration is probably extremely simple relative to most other things once it's going. My approach is generally to try and get a basically functioning machine that sort of does the job, then go back and optimize everything afterwards once I have some idea of what I'm dealing with and what I can do with it. Most of my torrents are seeding now so already most of the way there now.

https://docs.linuxserver.io/general/swag

Only differences in that one (really all containers, but I knew it wasn't an issue on qbittorrent).. is you need to pay attention to ports. swag defaults to port 80, so if you don't change that there will be a problem, as the OMV webUI also uses port 80.... So you either need to set OMV to use a port other than 80 (under I believe general settings) or make sure swag uses a different port.

So in the port section, you would just do something like this...

Code
     ports:
          - 444:443
          - 81:80

and that would route swag on the internal ports of 81 and 444.

or in the case of qbitorrent, if you wanted to run it on a port other than 8080.. In your stack change your port to something like this

Code
    ports:
          - 8085:8080
          - 6881:6881
          - 6881:6881/udp

and then you would access qbittorrent's webUI from at port 8085.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!