How do you setup qbittorrent with docker on OMV 6?

• So far I've read through the OMV 6 documentation, watched 5 different videos on installing qbittorrent on OMV, looked trough the guides in the guide section, googled it multiple times, and looked through this forum itself to see if I could find isntructions, so far I haven't found anything useable. All the videos except one are for previous versions of OMV that look and function differently, the remaining one stops after he gets portainer installed.

So far I have OMV 6 installed, Docker installed, Portainer installed, and on Portainer I'm logged in with linuxserver/qbittorrent on there as both an image and a container using default settings. I have no idea where to go from here, as far as I can tell it's just sitting there doing nothing, appears to have no relation to OMV at all, can't access the qbittorrent web ui through myip:8080, not even sure if there is anything even running technically speaking.

How do I get qbittorrent actually running with docker/portainer on OMV 6?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can use this guide

and then when it comes to the example use the docker-compose code from here

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/qbittorrent

and adjust it to your needs.

Before that clean up your installation and delete what is related to your previous attempts to install qbittorrent.

• This works for me using Portainer, with qBittorrent restricted to a wireguard VPN for internet access:

• There is no reason not to succeed if all you do is to read and follow the documentation that comes with the linuxserver.io qbittorrent image.

Have you looked at that documentation?

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/qbittorrent

If you edit the docker cli example given there to be correct for your use case and paste it into the OMV shell you will have a working qbittorrent in less than 15 seconds.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I read through it, didn't understand any of it, no idea what docker compose is or why I would need it, etc, haven't had to use the OMV shell yet and honestly didn't know it exists, I've been doing anything command line from debian. I'll try I guess.

• Just deleting the image and container for qbittorrent on portainer should be enough?

• Delete the container and the /config folder

Code
    - /path/to/appdata/config:/config

I legitimately can't tell if that's a literal thing you want me to paste or if I'm suppose to substitute it for something like "rmdir /myname/appdata/config". This is basically all brand new to me so most of things that seem self explanatory to a linux expert are arcane to me. I don't know how I would find those folders by command line.

• Maybe a starting point would be, that you explain what you did regarding qbittorrent so far?

X2fwsrj.png

yEYVtv5.png

This is all. I typed linuxserver/qbittorrent into the image pull box, pulled it. Added a container the same way, typed it into the docker box in the section for making a new container on portainer. I have done literally nothing else directly involving qbittorrent, and I have never used docker/portainer before or fully setup OMV before so I'm stuck at a brick wall here.

• I read through it, didn't understand any of it, no idea what docker compose is or why I would need it, etc, haven't had to use the OMV shell yet and honestly didn't know it exists, I've been doing anything command line from debian. I'll try I guess.

I pointed you to the docker cli section of the docs, not the docker compose section. The cited section is 13 continued lines of code and at most you would have to make changes to five of them.

The shell in OMV is the Debian command line shell.

Some familiarity with fundamental Linux concepts such as users, groups, network ports and such is assumed no matter what resources or tools you are using to deploy dockers.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• ok, then just go to the container view and select qbittorrent and press remove.

Did you read the guide I linked?

Reading it now, I have a different setup than the writer of that guide, no SSD, I have 4TB HDD and an SD Card only, I suppose it still makes more sense to store the container on the HDD. Not sure where I should make the directories in this case, or if they were already made automatically.

It says that I'm supposed to navigate to a certain folder, then copy all the stack info into a text file, should I just try to navigate to the docker folder using command line then try to make the text file and paste it in on command line as well?

If you deploy a stack does that mean it will just run automatically in the future?

I pointed you to the docker cli section of the docs, not the docker compose section. The cited section is 13 continued lines of code and at most you would have to make changes to five of them.

The shell in OMV is the Debian command line shell.

Some familiarity with fundamental Linux concepts such as users, groups, network ports and such is assumed no matter what resources or tools you are using to deploy dockers.

I do have basic linux and networking familiarity, it's the specific stuff related to navigating around linux to do file operations on CLI, as well as container applications that I have no familiarity with. Is the normal way of accessing shell for OMV just to SSH into the NAS debian command line, or is there some way to do that over the web UI?

• You can ssh into OMV if it is headless or if you have a keyboard and monitor connected you can use the console. I suggest ssh even if you have console capability because you can copy and paste from and to OMV via ssh that way if your ssh client app has that capability.

There is probably an OMV WeBUI plugin that you could use to access the shell via a web browser, but I wouldn't bother with that myself. I just ssh in.

--

• On the web Gui, add you standard user to the docker group.

Login via ssh with that user.

Make a folder named qbittorrent: mkdir qbittorrent

Move to it with cd qbittorrent

Make and edit a file named docker-compose.yml: nano docker-compose.yml

Copy/paste the sample from github editing the values to match your path.

Ctrl+O, Enter and then Ctrl+X to save and close the editor.

Launch the container with docker-compose up -d

Check that your container is running on Portainer GUI.

• By standard user you mean the non-admin debian linux user? I made a different user inside of OMV, it gets kind of confusing which is which. Making the folder using that command places it in the root directory, correct? That cd command would work globally because it's just basically root/qbittorrent but root is omitted automatically? For the copy and paste, you are suggesting the one from the docker-compose section of the linxserver/qbittorrent page not the one from the docker CLI section? Do you need a separate application or plugin to use docker-compose or is that functionality built into the standard version of docker? Also would I need to launch the container every time I boot up the NAS or would it be booted automatically?

Sorry for the pile of questions, once I get it up and running this will all make more sense to me, there is a lot of potential ambiguity for me though still at this point.

• By standard user you mean the non-admin debian linux user?

yes

I made a different user inside of OMV, it gets kind of confusing which is which. Making the folder using that command places it in the root directory, correct?

No.

When you login with a standard user, you will be on the user home directory.

For the copy and paste, you are suggesting the one from the docker-compose section of the linxserver/qbittorrent page not the one from the docker CLI section?

Use the docker-compose example.

Do you need a separate application or plugin to use docker-compose or is that functionality built into the standard version of docker?

Once you have docker installed via OMV-extras, you don't need anything else.

Also would I need to launch the container every time I boot up the NAS or would it be booted automatically?

On boot/reboot, docker will start immediately and all containers ditto.

• If you want a small example, here's the YML I use on my system:

• Ran into some wonky business with standard user. I don't think I technically had one setup. I was using the debian shell with SSH on root, I made a new user within the OMV webUI. I can login to either no problems through the NAS directly, and I can login to root from SSH, but I can't login to my standard user from SSH, it just gives me access denied. I tried deleting my OMV standard user, making a new one from scratch from the Debian command line, again I can login to it just fine on Debian, but if I try to login from SSH I get access denied. Looking at the SSHD_config file, pubkeyauthentication is set to yes, passwordauthentication is set to yes, challengeresponseauthentication is set to no, permitrootlogin is set to yes. I can't figure out what's wrong but I can't really continue until I get this figured out.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ran into some wonky business with standard user. I don't think I technically had one setup. I was using the debian shell with SSH on root, I made a new user within the OMV webUI. I can login to either no problems through the NAS directly, and I can login to root from SSH, but I can't login to my standard user from SSH, it just gives me access denied. I tried deleting my OMV standard user, making a new one from scratch from the Debian command line, again I can login to it just fine on Debian, but if I try to login from SSH I get access denied. Looking at the SSHD_config file, pubkeyauthentication is set to yes, passwordauthentication is set to yes, challengeresponseauthentication is set to no, permitrootlogin is set to yes. I can't figure out what's wrong but I can't really continue until I get this figured out.

Do you still have portainer installed?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!