No devices showing for Shared Folders and no RAID

• I'm very new to openmediavault, and want to set it up on an HP Proliant Microserver with 4x SATA drives.

I have the latest stable v5 release with all the updates.

Unusually, I only want to have a VERY simple setup, and don't care about fault tolerance, I'd settle for RAID0 or Linear whichever is quicker, but as that doesn't appear to be an option, for the sake of brevity, I just want to set a single shared folder up, and perhaps change it to RAID later.

I've followed the user guide (https://openmediavault.readthe…r_guide/newuserguide.html) up to 'Data Drive Set Up' , and have the OS installed on a 5th drive.

RAID issue:
    All the disks show up, including the boot drive, in Storage | Disks, I can wipe them all, but any RAID array I try fails. They don't match, I have 1x 1TB and 3x 2TB drives, and all are set to AHCI in the BIOS. It allows me to choose all four, then errors when I try to create the array, usually with a 'busy' comment, but not always. (I've also tried setting them up as a RAID0 array in the BIOS, but the OS doesn't recognise it, and I get the same problems).

Shared Folders issue:

Bypassing the RAID problem for the moment, I'd like to create a simple shared folder on one of the four drives, following the guide I've done the following:

1. Clicking 'File Systems' shows the boot drive (swap and ext4) but nothing else.
    2. With 4 wiped drives, click File Systems | Create | Device | <all show so I select one> | add a label 'B' | File System 'EXT 4'
    3. 'OK' will start to format the drive, and it shows 'created successfully' after a few minutes.
    4. I expect to see the File System showing in the list, but no matter which File System I format with, or which drive I use, nothing but the boot drive shows.

To trouble shoot, I've installed all the plugins, as I saw a post saying to do that, and I can now see the boot drive, but none of the others when I've tried creating a shared folder.

(Shared Folders - Add - Device)

The best I can come up with, so far, is the 4x drives plug into a mini SAS port on the Motherboard, and perhaps there's a driver issue?

If I'm not trying to RAID anything, it seems like it should be a VERY basic thing to do, but I keep drawing blanks, any ideas?

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

It never hurts to clear your browser cache: control-shift-r. I'm not sure if it will help in your case, but it works wonders for all kinds of issues. :)

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Offizieller Beitrag

Am I missing something?

1. Disks | <Select each> | Wipe | Quick | OK

2. File Systems | <no drives | nothing to mount>

Should I expect to see drives in the File Systems list as soon as they're wiped?

Did you create the RAID under RAID management? I don't use RAID, but I seem to remember this being required.

Once it shows the RAID is complete (this may take some time)... you can mount it under filesystems.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Am I missing something?

1. Create the RAID
    2. Create a filesystem on the RAID
    3. Mount the filesystem
    4. Create shared folders on the filesystem
  • Am I missing something?

Should I expect to see drives in the File Systems list as soon as they're wiped?

If you wiped your drives you need to create a filesystem on them, then mount.

• First of all, sorry, I'm trying to simultaneously address two separate (but I suspect somewhat linked) issues. They're both sorted now:

RAID problems:

While trying to replicate the issue and show you, I discovered that I'm not able to make a RAID0 (Stripe) from mismatching drives (3x 2TB and 1x 1TB), however, I was successful at creating a 3x2TB RAID0 array and (or) a RAID10 array from all the drives! I'm sure I tried a RAID 5/6/10 using all the drives previously, but I was mostly focussing on RAID0 (Stripe), so may not have explored all permutations. It also helps to know that it should work.

After creating the RAID10 array I was then able to create a File Share, so all is now right with the world.

Thanks very much for all the help, and to clarify for other noobs, you first create the share, then mount it. The extra steps after creating the share and allowing access to it were unexpected, but 'SMB | Shares | Add' fixed Windows sharing for me!

• KM0201

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!