Cannot login at terminal or anywhere after trying to update gcc

• So I am running openmediavault 5 on top of debian. the server has been running for a couple years now no issues, i decided to try to update some files for a project i was installing and tried to up gcc and now i cannot log into openmediavault from anything. webui doesnt connect, putty gets rejected, on the physical pc i just ask for login but doesnt prompt for password anymore and tells me wrong info. i can log in as SINGLE so no password needed. i also can still access my samba shares in windows although that doesnt help with finding out the issue. I am not very familiar with linux. any help would be appreciated

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I am running openmediavault 5 on top of debian. the server has been running for a couple years now no issues, i decided to try to update some files for a project i was installing and tried to up gcc and now i cannot log into openmediavault from anything. webui doesnt connect, putty gets rejected, on the physical pc i just ask for login but doesnt prompt for password anymore and tells me wrong info. i can log in as SINGLE so no password needed. i also can still access my samba shares in windows although that doesnt help with finding out the issue. I am not very familiar with linux. any help would be appreciated

What do you mean as SINGLE so?

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, I've never heard it referred to as "single" so I guess that was my confusion.

So I guess from single user mode, the first thing I'd do is change my root password.

Code
    passwd root

enter and confirm a new root password, then reboot and log in at the console as root.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ive tried, when i do passwd as a command it gives me an error and states password was not changed

Well with loads of info like that I'm sure you're bound to get answers.... I suspect this will be a fruitless endeavor and you're probably going to end up reinstalling the OS. Your data should be safe on the data drives, you'll just have to set everything up again.

• What km0201 means give us the pricise error messages and we may be able to help you.

"I get an error" is not helpful

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• can you check if the disk if mounted ro

mount

touch /test

rm /test

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don't know why /dev/sdg2 is recovering journal? If you are shutting down properly that is suspicious.

Try this.

root@omvad3:~# cat .profile

# ~/.profile: executed by Bourne-compatible login shells.

if [ "$BASH" ]; then

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then

. ~/.bashrc

fi

fi

test -t 0 && mesg n 2> /dev/null || true

root@omvad3:~#

• can you post the output of cat /etc/passwd, just to make sure, it is you omv root disk.

If the os disk is not ro (which it is not), there may be some corruct pam configs.

• Maybe

cd /root then

cat .profile

Reinstall may be in order?

can you post the output of cat /etc/passwd, just to make sure, it is you omv root disk.

If the os disk is not ro (which it is not), there may be some corruct pam configs.

edit: sorry this is the best i know how to post them since its on a remote unit and i cannot putty into it to get a better shot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe

Reinstall may be in order?

Would definitely be less headache than trying to sort out this mess. I have a 90min time limit on fixing an OS problem.. because it takes me about 35-40min to be from an empty hard drive, to having OMV back where I want it, all my containers running, etc. Anything more than double the install time is a complete waste of time, IMO.

• Would definitely be less headache than trying to sort out this mess. I have a 90min time limit on fixing an OS problem.. because it takes me about 35-40min to be from an empty hard drive, to having OMV back where I want it, all my containers running, etc. Anything more than double the install time is a complete waste of time, IMO.

i dont mind doing that if it comes to it. my only concern is making OMV pick up my drives the way they are set again. containers arent a problem really. I have 6 data drives set to a mergefs pool with 2 parity drives included atm.

if its as simple as pointing OMV to the already setup drives then its not really a big deal to just reinstall i suppose.

ive read threads saying a full drive could cause the inability to login also. or something might be corrupt from when i tried to update the gcc from 8.3 to 9.0

atm the i can still access all of my drives from samba within windows if i just turn on the pc. although i cannot log in at all. so theres that

• Offizieller Beitrag

Assuming your containers are stored on your data drives and not in /var/lib/docker... (If it's not, you can usually back it up, but given your issues I'm guessing you can't). For me, the procedure was simple.

Disconnected data drives and reinstalled OS

Mounted my Data shares and set up my shared folders and users again

Since I use symlinks for all of my container paths, I set up my symlinks for my docker containers. I've got this down to where I only need to set up about 5-6 symlinks and they are all mapped under a custom folder I create ("NAS")

Install docker, and point the container path at my containers folder (I keep mine on my data drive, rather than the OS drive).

Pretty much at that point, all my dockers will come to life as if nothing happened, so long as all the symlink paths, etc are exactly the same as they were before.

Once that's done, I just set up NFS again.

Finished. Obviously this required a bit of prep and planning (making sure all my containers pointed at symlinks, making sure my containers were stored on a data drive, etc.).. but now it's dead nuts simple. I clean installed 6 and was back up and running like nothing happened in barely 40 minutes.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!