Install updates only on selected.

• Update Management -> Updates there are some to install.

There is no possibility to install ONE of them. The footer Info says 1 selected / 5 total but when i klick on the Install updates symbol the comfirmation tells that "all packages will be upgraded"

• Offizieller Beitrag

A package is selectable so you can see the changelog. The install updates button does not use selections. It basically just runs apt-get dist-upgrade. Allowing users to select multiple packages caused problems because there are occasionally updates to a package the is replaced by another and selecting both breaks the update.

If you are advanced enough that you feel the need to install one update, the command line or apttool plugin is what you need. Not sure why you want to install one update and not the rest though.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe hardware or other program would be broken by the upgrades.

Can you give an example? I never install updates one by one and haven't had this problem. If a package is broken, it usually only breaks itself meaning it would break no matter how you installed updates. I can think of more times for where installing one package and forcing only that package would cause more problems.

And yes, apt-get install packagename will install the updates and dependencies if they are required.

The point is that OMV is helping people do the right thing. Installing updates individually is not the right thing. If you disagree, that is why you can still do it via command line.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

In my case I would worry about samba updates breaking active directory. Could be in either debian or OMV. Since I run OMV on proxmox I just run a snapshot. Then I can roll back if needed and troubleshoot in a clone.

For hardware I see some new intel nic seems not to work. I didn't follow it but if the workaround gets overridden that would not be good.

Would be nice if OMV had a rollback feature. I think that would be too much work. Maybe taking a backup would be enough. But how many do that. LOL

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, the fact that more people had broken upgrades by selecting all packages is better than the chance that a package may break? I disagree with allowing selection and don't want to support that problem anymore myself (if that means anything).

Your example of samba would happen no matter which method was allowed. And the intel NIC example is probably caused by a version increase of the back ports kernel but this would happen just by installing linux-image-amd64 with backports enabled.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am not worried about me. I can usually handle whatever comes up. I agree that adding other things is at our own risk and an advanced and possibly unsupported state. But a warning is at least necessary.

So at the moment The ui and apt dist-upgrade show this.

openmediavault openmediavault-owntone openmediavault-photoprism openmediavault-s3 openmediavault-snmp

This is hypothetical but if I only want to upgrade openmediavault-owntone. I choose that. Hitting "updates" gives see attacment.

If the number selected does not match the total available. Please put an advanced tab explaining the philosophy and maybe how to get around it at your own risk. Including a warning to do a backup.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the number selected does not match the total available. Please put an advanced tab explaining the philosophy and maybe how to get around it at your own risk. Including a warning to do a backup.

The note says "all" packages will be installed not "all selected" packages. And you can only select one package to look at it changelog.

I think putting instructions in a plugin on how to get around something from the command line is not a good idea.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Anybody picking and choosing updates is probably an advanced user. Even advanced users don't know everything and deserve some support. A warning at least and then they can research or ask here. LOL

Debian is free open source software. We use it for that reason. Restricting it is counter productive. Might as well go apple or windows if you don't mind being limited by the powers that be. Being free has a price and we have to prepare for what may happen. Being warned is good enough as far as I am concerned.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Anybody picking and choosing updates is probably an advanced user

Guess I'm not an advanced user lol. But you are missing the problem. The noobs were selecting all updates. This causes the problems I was referring to because it is explicitly installing all of the packages instead of running dist-upgrade. Trying to write code to prevent this would be just reimplementing dist-upgrade.

Debian is free open source software. We use it for that reason. Restricting it is counter productive. Might as well go apple or windows if you don't mind being limited by the powers that be. Being free has a price and we have to prepare for what may happen. Being warned is good enough as far as I am concerned.

This isn't restricting anyone that can't run the commands from the command line. OMV isn't targeted at advanced users. Non-advanced users need some hand holding. And I know very, very, very well that people don't read shit. So, warnings are worthless.

If you think this is apple or windows, that is a bit harsh. You could always write a plugin that allowed you to do what you want. And I did mention the apttool plugin lets you do what you want. You just add the packages you want to install individually and install them when there is an update.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is not my issue only trying to help the op. And maybe explain why someone may want to do this at your request. It is going to cause support issues either way. We all see that some users don't read things until there is a problem. Those we can't help until something breaks. Documenting is for those who will read it. They should be supported too. LOL

PS: You are an advanced user by many other definitions. You didn't get demoted by not ever doing this. LOL

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

One way to avoid the confusion of being able to select updates might be. Instead of having to select an update to read the change log make double clicking the update open the change log. Also would make reading the change logs easier.

The Angular Material Design specs do not support that workflow because this will not work on touch devices.

• I stumbled across this too, especially coming from OMV 5. When selecting a package it says "1 selected / N total", implying that a) you actually have to select packages to update, and b) you can select more than one and up to N and then... well, update those. So I'd say this is primarily a usability/GUI issue. Maybe it would help to drop the select feature, extend the current dialog after hitting "Install updates" (s.th. like "The following packages will be downloaded and installed: <list of packages>. Proceed? <Yes> | <No>") and give each package a "See ChangeLog" button or whatever, if that is the only purpose of selecting packages.

However, having many years of experience with Linux system administration I can say that although the standard operating procedure is indeed to install all pending updates, not updating certain packages on occasion is certainly beneficial if not necessary until certain problems have been resolved (kernel/driver issues prominent among them), and I'm sorry to say that no-one can convince me otherwise. But as was said, this can be achieved via CLI or the respective OMV plugin. Therefore I don't have a problem with the new behavior, as it probably keeps most people out of trouble. It's just not too obvious ;-).

Coming from Redhat/Fedora I must say that I'm not too familiar with apt yet, and probably I get its philosophy wrong. What is the difference between installing all available packages and 'apt-get upgrade'? Fedora distinguishes between 'dnf upgrade' (presenting you first with the list of available updates that would be processed) and 'dnf system-upgrade', but the latter refers to switching to a new release.

A package manager should always resolve all dependencies (even if not all available updates are installed), ensure the integrity of the system, and refuse to run if there's conflicts. That said, in the case when all individial packages were selected in OMV it should be easy enough to simply map that to an 'apt-get upgrade' without re-inventing it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!