Is the raspberry pi 4 8gb worth with OMV 6

• Hello everyone,

I want to upgrade my raspberry pi 3b+ to a new 4b, because of the extra ram, 1Gb is not good enough and to support the new 64bit install of OMV.

I was wondering if an OMV with docker and some containers like plex, nextcloud, transmission, my website, etc are worth to get the 8Gb version instead of the 4Gb, or if 4 will suffice?

Thank you,

• I do not know if you are attached to the Raspi(s).

I would rather look elsewhere.

https://www.armbian.com/download/

https://dietpi.com/#download

I switched to the ODROID/Hardkernel devices.

For NAS the HCx (I have a HC1 and a HC2 as backup)

They have newer devices but I like the design of my HCx. The latest M1 is tempting but there might be teething problems with the software right now.

With going away from Raspis you get reliable powersupply, better cooling, better throughput for the disk(s) and often more CPU power(plex, nextcloud).

4GB are enough - more is better. atm difficult to buy...

• I was wondering if an OMV with docker and some containers like plex, nextcloud, transmission, my website, etc are worth to get the 8Gb version instead of the 4Gb, or if 4 will suffice?

It depends on the "etc" For what you mentioned 4 GB should be enough, but if you can get hold of a 8GB it is more future prove.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• DHGE Thank you for that idea, what do you think about the N2+? seems pretty solid option but I was reading there are some USB issues.

I am concerned about also the quality of the board, I thought rasp pis were really solid in that.

Zoki Thank you!

• @alenrqz21

I just see they have taken the HCx off their shop website...

The N2+ is their fastest Arm-SBC I think.

https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=211&t=44399

I do not know this device - have an older XU4Q which I use as a backup with my even older external 3.5" USB Harddisks.

For OMV/NAS I would always go with native SATA and not USB.

Reliability wise I can only complain about my Raspis and that probably came form the poor power supply (even with a powered USB hub or powered USB disks).

Since they seem to have discontinued the HCx:

Today I would go with the HC4.

I do not like the design: I would use duct tape to close the gaps since I only need a single 2.5" HD to keep the power consumption low.

The just introduced M1 is better (NVME + SATA) and faster and more general purpose than the HC4 but I would wait until July 2022 or when I read about a first success with Debian Bullseye.

For just tinkering I also would prefer the M1 over the N2+. But for tinkering I use my Raspis :)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von DHGE () aus folgendem Grund: found a "first impression" of the M1 versus N2+

• DHGE, it seems the HC4 is a great option, sadly the enclosure is a miss, terrible design, and cases are not available anywhere, I would have to print my own, or build some sort of case, haha, but I really like what it offers. I think the m1 needs an external PSU for the SATA.

• I think the m1 needs an external PSU for the SATA.

For 2.5" the recommended power supply for these SBCs will suffice. For 3.5" you need 12V and 15+W extra only for the M1.

Have a look at the wiki and the forum discussion.

I am with you regarding the case of the HC4... That is why I hope my HC1 and HC2 will last long.

The HC1 is running 24/7 since August 2017 here. One hard drive died and the data had to be recovered from backup.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!