Setting up a 'bricked' OMV 4 installation as OMV 6 (looking for tips)

• Offizieller Beitrag

That the system disk might not show in /media/ never occored to me.

The first one with 134 G is the system disk.

The 1.4TB one is my internal backup disk

The 2.3T is the Raid1 with the main data.

:?: :/:?:

• It is probably the system drive that doesn't show up in /media/, right?

what you see in media are the data disks mounted by omv. the os disk is the root directory mounted in /.

Code
    rsync -av --dry.run /media/bbaa055f-7fd0-49bf-b63a-6d75bc3665f7/pdb_admin/ /media/cba71ddf-13bb-4a45-9af4-77d17f6f36bc/pdb_intbak_admin/

--dry-run will not destroy anything and -v will print the output to the console. the last / (in the target) is not needed

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• :?: :/:?:

yeah, well, hahahhaha. This is me all the time with this stuff. ;)

Here what I get when I look into media:

Code
    root@pdb-matrix:/# cd /media/
    root@pdb-matrix:/media# ls -1
    bbaa055f-7fd0-49bf-b63a-6d75bc3665f7
    cba71ddf-13bb-4a45-9af4-77d17f6f36bc
    cdrom
    usb
    usb0

So there are only 2 drives, [bbaa...] and [cba7...] plus cdrom, usb and usb0. So as I have the system disk, the raid1 and the internal backup disk my reasoning was that this must be the system disk and the raid1, because I know that both work, and I have access to, while the internal backup disk I had not accessed in a while.

The info about the 3 disks I accessed via:

And now I see it and feel even dumber as before... the stupid gibberish codes are right there... I had just ignored it. Now I also know how Zoki knows which is the raid and which is the internal disk. Sorry, I was totally blind. Probably filtered out the gibberish in my brain, who knows.

• Zitat

--dry-run will not destroy anything and -v will print the output to the console. the last / (in the target) is not needed

Yeah, I guess that --dry-run is save, but at the end i will want to run it without --dry-run I guess. What I wanted to say is: There is not much that can go wrong. The worst case scenario is the whole thing not working, which will be the same result as not trying it.

I'll give it a go, there are 1TB to transfer.

• Got an error message that --dry.run doesn't work. Had that copied with the typo from Zoki's first post, saw now that it is supposed to be --dry-run.

Tried it with all 3 folders and it seemed to work just fine:

Code
    rsync -av --dry-run /media/bbaa055f-7fd0-49bf-b63a-6d75bc3665f7/pdb_backup/ /media/cba71ddf-13bb-4a45-9af4-77d17f6f36bc/pdb_intbak_backup

rsync -av --dry-run /media/bbaa055f-7fd0-49bf-b63a-6d75bc3665f7/pdb_admin/ /media/cba71ddf-13bb-4a45-9af4-77d17f6f36bc/pdb_intbak_admin

rsync -av --dry-run /media/bbaa055f-7fd0-49bf-b63a-6d75bc3665f7/pdb_research/ /media/cba71ddf-13bb-4a45-9af4-77d17f6f36bc/pdb_intbak_research

I guess I will get rid of --dry-run now and see what happens.

• No worries, the first folder (pdb_backup --> pdb_intbak_backup) is running. Started with the least important one. ;) seems to be running fine, but there are a lot of videos on there, so might take a while.

Would like to run at least this one and see if all works and then tomorrow I'll start the other two and let them run over the weekend. But 1TB internally shouldn't take forever. So might only be a couple of hours.

Thank you so much you all. this made my Friday and I finally might get this NAS fixed, having a new version and being able to use the web interface again, make regular internal backups, etc.

Knowing now that my USB interfaces are all USB2, I might continue to do the backups to the external USB3 drives through a computer of the network though. Might be quicker than running the disk on USB2 directly from the Microserver.

Still thinking about the USB approach. I am not sure if it is worth running the system from a usb stick if it is only USB2. Will do some more research about it and see if I can find some more background on this.

Have a great weekend everyone!

And by now the first syncronization is done: I guess I will start the next one and leave the computer running over night here.

Code
    sent 88,704,278,009 bytes  received 41,664 bytes  80,530,476.33 bytes/sec
    total size is 123,451,670,595  speedup is 1.39
  • Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to give some feedback on my progress and thank everyone who helped to get me this far.

I managed to copy all relevant data from the raid1 to the internal backup disk (via Rsync) as well as to the external USB disks. It took a while, because it was a lot of data that was not up to date on the internal backup disk, but this is a huge step forward.

So this part is solved, thanks to your help!

Regarding the new installation, I will still have to make a decision, wether I just go with the interna 120GB 3.5" disk for the syste, or if I install a notebook hdd via the additional sata port or if I go with the system on an USB stick. But the USB ports on the HP Microserver N36L are only USB2 and I also don't have any USB-sticks bigger than 4GB lying around. We generate enough eletronic trash everyday, so I don't really want to buy something new, if I have solutions lying around here.

But I am still thinking about all this. I will need to do some more research over the next days and I might open a new topic about the installation on USB sticks with USB2 and what the minimum size is for installation on an USB stick. Unfortunately there is no minimum requirement described on the installation manual.

Anyway, so far: Thank you very much all for the help! :thumbup:

• I might open a new topic about the installation on USB sticks with USB2 and what the minimum size is for installation on an USB stick. Unfortunately there is no minimum requirement described on the installation manual.

I'd beleive there are already many thread on this topic to leverage from.

Just try if a 4GB stick will work, will require the least amount of time :) Min 8GB is recommended though.

Using flashmemory plugin USB2 is not a bottleneck because access pattern is mainly read access during boot and later occasional write access for consolidated writes to log files.

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Yes, of course. Would of course first do some research before I post questions.

I checked and my current system occupies a bit more than 4GB:

/dev/sda1 145G 4.8G 133G 4% /

So I am not sure, but I might give it a try. I can always buy a bigger usb-stick later. But first I'll do some research on the forum.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!