Samba share for owncloud data.

• Las week I mounted the disk hosting the owncloud data as a samba share with omv.

Since then, my data are read only.

Every time I change the rights (chmod -R 777), after few seconds they come back as read only and not accessible from samba share.

I tried almos everything and now I'm thinking that it might be omv samba that is somehow controlling the rights of that folder.

Is this a chance ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you try to share the owncloud data folder via smb?

Then this data folder is in control of owncloud and permissions might be adjusted by owncloud.

I think there is a thread where a user tried to do this with nextcloud. As I remember the conclusion was, it does not work.

In any case, you can do it the other way around and access a smb share from necxtlcoud (and probably owncloud) using the remote storage app in nextcloud.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This thread might be interesting for you

• This thread might be interesting for you

Thank you.

Finally, after two days of fight I decided to delete the data base and let owncloud to create the structure alone pointing to the OMV smb share.

This worked and at the first start of owncloud it asked me to set data folder permission to 700.

I did it and everything is now working well.

Somehow OMV is holding the permission of the shared folder and this is the reason why I got problems.

With ls -l of the data folder I have now cat the working permission config of that folder and I hope this will be valid for any future need.

I hope this my experience is helpfull for someone else.

Should someone be interested in the cat ls -l of the data folder I will share.

• How are you accessign the smb foolder now? The permissions will not allow group to see the files.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• How are you accessign the smb foolder now? The permissions will not allow group to see the files.

Well, this is a kind of magic :) and I am sure it is a mess of chmod and chown I have run on the entire share from ssh in order to try to solve the issue.

I go by hart because I'm not in front of the NAS bu I guess the owner of the Share is www-data (apache2).

Now I have smb share \ that is accessible from windows to any user with 777 permission on all the subfolders (in systemd they are all green shadow). Only exception is the owncloud data folder that I have modified with chmod 700 as requested by the GUI at the first login after having created the data folder on the smb share.

As said, for me it's a kind of magic but yesterday night everything was well working.

My share is configured like this:

Owner= www-data → Read/Write/Exe

Group = user → Read/Write/Exe

Others → Read/Write/Exe

Then there is a flag on “replace all existing permission”.

The flag “Apply permissions to files and subfolders” is not flagged.

• If someone is interested, the owncloud permission and ownership is as below:

• This path looks strage: /srv/nsa325/omv-nsa325/owncloud

Why are you trying to place the ownclod directory into a smb share?

I think you are mixing things up.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• This path looks strage: /srv/nsa325/omv-nsa325/owncloud

Why are you trying to place the ownclod directory into a smb share?

I think you are mixing things up.

I have only that disk. It is not accessible to the users but this is the only DISK I have.

The fact that I am sharing it in samba shoud not do anything until I do not try to do something on the owncloud data folder.

That path (omv-nsa325) is a link to the OMV mounting that is a long string that I cannot remember.

• As long as you find your way around in your system ...

I would not share the internals of the containers in samba, but everbody has its way

• As long as you find your way around in your system ...

I would not share the internals of the containers in samba, but everbody has its way

I agree with what you say but here in my home the everybody it's me my wife and my kids and .the owncloud data is chmod 700 so from samba nobody can access that folder (not even me). If you try to clik on it you get the worning you not have permission.

For the time being is seems a good compromise.

I'm now wondering what will happen if I remove the ACL on that disk ... is there the risk to mess up owncloud ?

I'm really scared by this ACL doing things alone and automatically.

By the way, I am not usin docker and containers. They are living together in the same system.

• I'm now wondering what will happen if I remove the ACL on that disk ... is there the risk to mess up owncloud ?

I'm really scared by this ACL doing things alone and automatically.

You should not mess with ACLs or permissions on your share, as this will most likely break owncloud. Do not even use the resetperms plugin.

This is why I recommend to use docker and not use a shared folder for addition software.

• You should not mess with ACLs or permissions on your share, as this will most likely break owncloud. Do not even use the resetperms plugin.

This is why I recommend to use docker and not use a shared folder for addition software.

I have realized this when it was too late and I lost my owncloud data.

Now I have it working but this ACL is very scaring for me and I really would like to disable it from my share.

Unlikely the tick on the ACL page seems not to work....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!