ipadOS file app samba share read only

• Hi everybody,

I recently had a problem with my NAS and OMV4. My ipad could not really access the files on the NAS anymore, they were read only.

Upon recommendation in this forum, I updated OMV4 to OMV6 (clean install) to tackle the problem.

Temporarily it worked fine, now I encounter the same problem again, my files are read-only from the ipad.

Does anybody have similar problems or a clue what could cause the problem and how to fix it?

I would really appreciate any help :)

Best

Scaty

• Then:

Code
    chmod 777 -R /your-folder/

Please do not post advice like this.

There is a resetperms plugin which should be used to set directories to proper permissions. 777 makes the files readable by everyone, this is usually not what one wants.

I agree with this: do not use ACLs.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• I recently had a problem with my NAS and OMV4. My ipad could not really access the files on the NAS anymore, they were read only.

Upon recommendation in this forum, I updated OMV4 to OMV6 (clean install) to tackle the problem.

Temporarily it worked fine, now I encounter the same problem again, my files are read-only from the ipad.

Does anybody have similar problems or a clue what could cause the problem and how to fix it?

Can you tell us a little bit more about how you are accessing the files. Can you write with a different device?

What permissions should hav been set?

What else is happening on the OMV server? Something must have been changing the permissions.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Hi,

sorry for replying so late, I've been quite busy this week.

I can access the NAS without any problems with any Windows device (also with Android). Unfortunately I could not test it yet with another Apple device.

Following your advice I changed the permissions now from ACLs to directly setting the permissions for every user to read/write in the users menu.

After doing that, I encountered a weird behaviour of the settings. Usually, whenever I change settings I have to confirm that afterwards to actually apply these changes. If I untick the box in the ACL menu not to replace the existing permission the system does not ask for approval after clicking on save - and indeed, it does not save the changes (when I return to the menu later the box is ticked again).

What is actually the difference between setting permissions for single users (in the users tab) and setting them in the shared folders tab?

The only thing worth mentioning that is going on on the NAS is Syncthing in a portainer container.

I hope the information helps you :)

Thanks for your answers so far!

Best

Scaty

• I can access the NAS without any problems with any Windows device (also with Android). Unfortunately I could not test it yet with another Apple device.

If you used the same user it is not a matter of permissions / privileges, but something else.

Following your advice I changed the permissions now from ACLs to directly setting the permissions for every user to read/write in the users menu.

ACLs do add settings to a files permissions (read,write,execute) for individual users / groups and break the commonly used systematics to have just file permissions for owner, a group and others.

Privileges in the UI allow a user / group to access the sared folder by some service. This does not have effects to a files permissions, but to the configuration of the service (e.g. smb).

You can check what I said on the cli by using the ls -lah <file_or_directory> command. Files with ACLs have an additional +.

Please do not use the term permission in this thread, as it gets hard to distinguish. (OMV manages file permissions on shared folders based on the configuration) See this image:

What is actually the difference between setting permissions for single users (in the users tab) and setting them in the shared folders tab?

The difference is only the layout:

• In "Shared folders -> Privileges" you see all users, but only a single shared folder
    • In "Users -> Shared folder privileges" you see a single user, but all shared folders.

What you need to do now:

• Confirm that you used the same user in windows and on the ipad
    • Show the configuration of the smb share
    • Create a new smb share with defualt settings, give a user privileges on it and try with windows and ipad.
    • Post the results

• Usually, whenever I change settings I have to confirm that afterwards to actually apply these changes. If I untick the box in the ACL menu not to replace the existing permission the system does not ask for approval after clicking on save - and indeed, it does not save the changes (when I return to the menu later the box is ticked again).

I have the same problem here.

I press SAVE and the green box appears but the apply changes is not asked.

The SAVE button remains active and you can push it several times but the tick remains and the wanted configuration is not saved.

Definitively I would like to disable ACL from my smb share but all the files are with + at the end.

• For resetting permissions there is the reset-perms plugin.

• For resetting permissions there is the reset-perms plugin.

Yes but if this remains enabled then everything comes back as before.... I tried.

In other words... how can I disable ACL on mi share and remove the + at the end ?

• to just remove it on the cli setfacl -b -R <some path>.

• Can I do it on the entire disk ?

My samba share is mapped at "/" so I would like to remove ACL on the entire disk.

Anyhow it is not understood the meaning of that tick on the ACL page if we cannot disable it from GUI.

• I do not know, what you have on your disk, but don't do it on the root, just go to /srv/dev-disk-by<something more here> and do it on the directory you created there.

• Hi,

thanks at first for your suggestions.

to just remove it on the cli setfacl -b -R <some path>.

If I do that, I can't access anything anymore without resetting the ACL to what they have been set to before - even if I enable the read/write access rights for the users. Am I doing anything wrong?

What you need to do now:

• Confirm that you used the same user in windows and on the ipad
    • Show the configuration of the smb share
    • Create a new smb share with defualt settings, give a user privileges on it and try with windows and ipad.
    • Post the results

I used the same user for both devices, with the Windows PC it works without any issues, Apple allows to read (open files and copy files from the Nas to i.e. internal storage, but it does not allow to dopy from the internal storage to the NAS - which should be write).

The SMB settings are those.

Any further suggestions?

Best :)

Scaty

• how did you set up the shared folder?

Show me a ls -lah for the shared folder, so I know what permissions are set.

Uncheck inherit all, you do not want these.

This is to solve the all thing

Regarding the ios issue, I have no clue.

But on windows I have seen that the guest user was used on a failed login.

Do you have permissions on the shared folder that guests can read?

• how did you set up the shared folder?

I previously updated from OMV4 to OMV6 (which solved this problem at first until it occured again) , then mounted the existing file system and created the share and the smb via the GUI. Or do you mean something else?

Show me a ls -lah for the shared folder, so I know what permissions are set.

This is the output.

total 96K

drwx------ 4 root root 4.0K Apr 24 22:15 .

drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 4.0K Apr 24 19:43 ..

-rw------- 1 root root 485 May 14 12:08 .bash_history

-rw------- 1 root root 858 Nov 7 2021 .bashrc

drwx------ 3 root root 4.0K Apr 24 22:15 .config

-rw------- 1 root root 278 Nov 7 2021 .inputrc

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 58K Apr 24 20:25 openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all 6.deb

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 174 Nov 7 2021 .profile

drwx------ 2 root root 4.0K Apr 24 19:45 .ssh

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 215 May 8 07:14 .wget-hsts

Uncheck inherit all, you do not want these.

This is to solve the all thing

Do you mean unticking "inherit ACLs" or "inherit permissions"?

Do you have permissions on the shared folder that guests can read?

Others (I guess that means guests) are set to "none", thus no.

• I need the ls -alh for the shared folder (somewhere in /srv/dev-disk-by... or /media/... if the disk has been mounted long ago.

What you shoed me was the home dir of root.

ls -lah /srv

ls -lah /media

to get the ids

• Upps, sorry.

Here the right one:

total 117M

drwxrws---+ 15 root Heimnetzwerk 4.0K Apr 25 15:55 .

drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4.0K Apr 24 22:22 ..

-rw-rwx--- 1 Finesse users 1.1M Jun 25 2021

-rw-rwx--- 1 Finesse users 175K Oct 24 2021 'Protokoll.pdf'

-rw-rwx--- 1 K-PC users 206K Oct 25 2021 ' 2021_Protokollx.pdf'

-rw-rwx--- 1 Finesse users 90K Jul 18 2021 Associate.pdf

-rw-rwx--- 1 Carpathia users 18M Aug 20 2021 'Straße_geschwärzt_ocred.pdf'

-rw-rwx--- 1 Ed users 18M Aug 20 2021 '2108 Straße_geschwärzt.pdf'

-rw-rwx--- 1 K-PC users 89K Apr 30 2021 4391-a696-e7cdd6aaaadc.pdf

-rw-rwx--- 1 Finesse users 164K Aug 26 2021 'Anschreiben final1.pdf'

drwxrws--- 8 root users 4.0K Jan 31 17:04 Backup

-rw-rwx--- 1 Finesse users 1.1M Jun 24 2021 'fünfte Iteration.pdf'

-rw-rwx--- 1 Finesse users 1.1M Jun 24 2021 'sechste It.pdf'

-rw-rwx--- 1 Finesse users 1.1M Jun 24 2021 'neue Version.pdf'

-rw-rwx--- 1 Finesse users 1.1M Jun 25 2021 'sechste Iteration.pdf'

-rw-rwx--- 1 Finesse users 1.1M Jun 25 2021 'siebte Iteration.pdf'

-rw-rwx--- 1 Finesse users 6.1M Jul 7 2021 'CV merged.pdf'

drwxrws--- 4 root users 4.0K Apr 6 2021 Dokumente

-rw-rw---- 1 Sophistique users 0 Apr 18 16:39 anmeldung.pdf

drwxrws--- 6 root users 4.0K May 14 13:03 Magda

-rw-rw---- 1 Finesse users 231K Sep 12 2021 hints1.pdf

drwxrws--- 8 root users 4.0K Jan 31 16:53 Finanzen

-rw-rw---- 1 Finesse users 235K Jun 13 2021 'Fitnessbänder.PNG'

drwxrws--- 10 root users 4.0K Apr 2 2020 'Fotoarchiv'

-rw-rwx--- 1 Kai-PC users 372K Jun 21 2021 GR.pdf

-rw-rw---- 1 Sophistique users 0 Apr 18 16:33 IMG_0059.HEIC

-rwxrwx--- 1 Samsung_S6 users 298K Jul 11 2021 IMG-20210710.jpg

drwxrws--- 2 Carpathia users 4.0K Jan 29 11:49 'InfoSharing'

drwxrws--- 5 root users 4.0K May 14 13:06 Tom

-rw-rwx--- 1 Finesse users 155K Jun 7 2021 'Knowledge management.pdf'

-rw-rwx--- 1 K-PC users 51M Sep 24 2021 'Mont.pdf'

drwxrws--- 2 root users 4.0K Feb 27 2020 Musik

-rw-rw---- 1 Finesse users 157K Aug 26 2021 .nfs.20025.00de

-rw-rwx--- 1 Finesse users 112K Jun 21 2021 .nfs.20055.0306

drwxrws--- 12 root users 4.0K May 8 16:30 Nik

drwxrws--- 4 root users 4.0K Feb 2 23:37 Production

drwxrws--- 8 root users 4.0K Apr 28 07:08 .recycle

-rw-rwx--- 1 Carpathia users 861K Jun 14 2021 'Reservierung.pdf'

-rw-rwx--- 1 Finesse users 895K Jun 7 2021 'Symbolic practices.pdf'

drwxrws--- 3 root users 4.0K Feb 27 10:29 Tom

drwxrws--- 2 root users 4.0K Jan 31 17:03 Transfer

-rw-rwx--- 1 Finesse users 1.3M Apr 21 2021 Background-protest.jpg

-rw-rwx--- 1 Finesse users 13M Aug 25 2021 merged.pdf

-rw-rwx--- 1 Finesse users 829K Jun 27 2021 'Guide t.pdf'

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!