After setting static IP my NAS will not connect correctly

• Last week I had qbittorrent nox setup such that I could seed all my torrents on my NAS, and I could confirm they were connecting as they showed up on the torrent websites seeding options. At the time my IP on the device was set to DHCP.

I changed it to static IP with settings 192.168.0.42 netmask 255.255.255.0, DNS 8.8.8.8. Now none of my seeding torrents seem to be connecting at all. I'm not sure if this is direct cause and effect or possibly a coincidence, but I feel like I should assume it's cause.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Last week I had qbittorrent nox setup such that I could seed all my torrents on my NAS, and I could confirm they were connecting as they showed up on the torrent websites seeding options. At the time my IP on the device was set to DHCP.

I changed it to static IP with settings 192.168.0.42 netmask 255.255.255.0, DNS 8.8.8.8. Now none of my seeding torrents seem to be connecting at all. I'm not sure if this is direct cause and effect or possibly a coincidence, but I feel like I should assume it's cause.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Is the server online? Can you download a torrent or ping a website.

Code
    ping -c5 google.com

Could be for some reason that DNS is not resolving.

• Is the server online? Can you download a torrent or ping a website.

Code
    ping -c5 google.com

Could be for some reason that DNS is not resolving.

Cannot download torrents apparently, trying to ping google gave "name or service not known" using your exact command. I wonder what's going on. I think a very similar thing happened last time I tried to set a static ip, which is why I was on DHCP to begin with. Last time I could not even locally connect to the NAS though, right now I can locally connect to it just fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Cannot download torrents apparently, trying to ping google gave "name or service not known" using your exact command. I wonder what's going on. I think a very similar thing happened last time I tried to set a static ip, which is why I was on DHCP to begin with. Last time I could not even locally connect to the NAS though, right now I can locally connect to it just fine.

You didn't mention it in your OP, but is it safe to say you made your gateway your router IP?

Connecting locally has nothing to do with having access to the Internet. That just shows the NIC is working. If you can't ping a known good URL (like google.com) then you clearly have a DNS issue. Is there a particular reason you are using Google DNS servers?

Log in to your router, and look at your service providers DNS servers, and use those and see if they work.

Also, did you only put 1 set of DNS servers (ie, 8.8.8.8).. I *think* two are required so maybe that would be why it's failing.

So try setting your DNS servers in the webUI, just like this (comma separates the two name servers).

Code
  • Exhaust As KM0201 said, a DNS failure after setting up a static IP via the webUI and confirming the change is unexpected. Unless your router/IPS provider has some oddities, no reason why 8.8.8.8 shouldn't work for you. A single DNS value works for me.

If problems persists, you can check the contents of the network yam files under /etc/netplan/ . If all else fails, you could re-configure your network card via the CLI using omv-firstaid.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Exhaust As KM0201 said, a DNS failure after setting up a static IP via the webUI and confirming the change is unexpected. Unless your router/IPS provider has some oddities, no reason why 8.8.8.8 shouldn't work for you. A single DNS value works for me.

If problems persists, you can check the contents of the network yam files under /etc/netplan/ . If all else fails, you could re-configure your network card via the CLI using omv-firstaid.

I've never had an issue setting up a static IP through the webUI. I mainly do it just so I don't have to reconfigure my clients on a new server install (Shield, Firestick, couple laptops, etc.).. but I use my providers DNS servers. Never really considered using Google's or anyone else's.

• What is the network config in your router?

What is the internal IP of your router?

What is the routers DHCP address range?

Why did you choose 192.168.0.42 as IP address for OMV?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• You didn't mention it in your OP, but is it safe to say you made your gateway your router IP?

I did not have gateway set at all...I could not tell you why I assumed that would be automatic when everything else had to be set manually but I suppose I did assume that. After setting gateway it works normally now. Thanks for pointing that out!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did not have gateway set at all...I could not tell you why I assumed that would be automatic when everything else had to be set manually but I suppose I did assume that. After setting gateway it works normally now. Thanks for pointing that out!

LOL.

Sometimes the simple answer needs to jump off screen and slap us in the face (been there plenty of times myself).

Glad it was fairly simple.

• LOL.

Sometimes the simple answer needs to jump off screen and slap us in the face (been there plenty of times myself).

Glad it was fairly simple.

It is the ultimate struggle with experts helping noobs, I think once you make a mistake like that once you can never make it again, and you would probably not imagine that someone else would make it. Come to think of it I'm pretty sure I ran into an identical issue trying to set a static IP on my main PC years ago, and I never did figure out what was wrong so I just stuck with DHCP the entire time.

• macom

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!