Activating Symlinks plugin automatically activates Sharerootfs plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just upgraded my backup server - a NanoPi M4 with a sata hat - to OMV6. Since it is a simple setup I decided to do a clean install, so I have had to mount two drives, setup services from scratch, and install plugins, etc. Everything works great (so far), but... When I install the Symlinks plugin, the Sharerootfs plugn automatically is installed also. If I remove the Sharerootfs plugin, the Symlinks plugin is automatically removed also. Is this a bug or a feature?

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• I upgraded from OMV5 and just find out following your post that my OMV6 installed Sharerootfs. I can use Symlinks but i DONOT want to have Sharerootfs. I hope that this is NOT an IMPROVEMENT and will be fixed.

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• This seems to be intended behavior:

fred@omv:~$ sudo apt-cache depends openmediavault-symlinks

openmediavault-symlinks

Depends: openmediavault

Depends: openmediavault-sharerootfs

fred@omv:~$

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• Offizieller Beitrag

I saw as much in the install window, but I thought I would ask. Besides, just because Sharerootfs is installed doesn’t mean you have to use it. Thanks gderf for the confirmation.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I upgraded from OMV5 and just find out following your post that my OMV6 installed Sharerootfs. I can use Symlinks but i DONOT want to have Sharerootfs. I hope that this is NOT an IMPROVEMENT and will be fixed.

symlinks depends on sharerootfs. There's no way to avoid this unless you create your symlinks manually. I've come to the conclusion you're someone that is just never happy no matter what is done w/ this OS. You've got more threads and posts pissing and moaning about things than most users I see here. I'm sure votdev and aaron would welcome some dev help if you're interested.

• symlinks depends on sharerootfs. There's no way to avoid this unless you create your symlinks manually. I've come to the conclusion you're someone that is just never happy no matter what is done w/ this OS. You've got more threads and posts pissing and moaning about things than most users I see here. I'm sure votdev and aaron would welcome some dev help if you're interested.

You are entitled to your opinion, of-course and I do appreciate your honesty. I love OMV and I use it for quite some time with great satisfaction and success. I come from the "old" school (I am 68 years old) of UNIX (SUN before GUI came in a form of "Sunview"and SGI) and it is hard to teach "old dog" new tricks. Because of that I, might, disagree with just unplugging USB HD`s vs umout or use of UUID vs Label (I use "label" mounts on my Linux machines, today). I mount my secondary HD`s on linux machines in /mnt (fstab) without explicit rootsharing and it works. So, I think I do not "moan" and "piss" and if that is your take, then I forward my apology. since that was NOT my intention.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You are entitled to your opinion, of-course and I do appreciate your honesty. I love OMV and I use it for quite some time with great satisfaction and success. I come from the "old" school (I am 68 years old) of UNIX (SUN before GUI came in a form of "Sunview"and SGI) and it is hard to teach "old dog" new tricks. Because of that I, might, disagree with just unplugging USB HD`s vs umout or use of UUID vs Label (I use "label" mounts on my Linux machines, today). I mount my secondary HD`s on linux machines in /mnt (fstab) without explicit rootsharing and it works. So, I think I do not "moan" and "piss" and if that is your take, then I forward my apology. since that was NOT my intention.

No apology necessary... It's just an observation. You don't have to share it if you don't want to. As I assume you're well aware, OMV does not mount drives under /mnt, it mounts them under /srv... so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. If you want to mount drives under /mnt manually, and use those drives in the webUI... newsflash.. You'll have to use the rootshare plugin.

• No idea if this OMV environment variable still works or not, but in the past it was used to override the default mount directory.

OMV_MOUNT_DIR=

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No idea if this OMV environment variable still works or not, but in the past it was used to override the default mount directory.

OMV_MOUNT_DIR=

Hmm, I seem to recall that as well.

Do you know the support cluster that would cause if everyone was creating their own mount directory? LOL.

• No apology necessary... It's just an observation. You don't have to share it if you don't want to. As I assume you're well are, OMV does not mount drives under /mnt, it mounts them under /srv... so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. If you want to mount drives under /mnt manually, and use those drives in the webUI... newsflash.. You'll have to use the rootshare plugin.

That might be true in OMV, regarding mounting. On my linux computers running EndeavourOS, Kali and Mint I do not have "rootshare" plugin, of-course, so here is my fstab line I use on Mint to mount local secondary HD on the laptop; "/dev/sdb1 /mnt/Data auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,x-gvfs-name=Data_Drive 0 0." In that fstab file all (8) NAS running OMV6 HD`s are mounted in /media/cifs. Here is the sample from fstab:"//192.168.1.../Files /media/cifs/Files cifs credentials=/media/cifs/.NAS.cifs_creds,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail 0 0". That is how I did it which is not to say that OMV is wrong. Sot to recap: I do not have to nor need "rootshare" plugin to mount drives, local and remote through fstab. BTW, ALL of those drives are available on DE in Mint, EndeavourOS and Kali.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von andrzejls () aus folgendem Grund: edited syntax added sample of "cifs" mount in fstab for remote NAS running OMV6 drive

• Offizieller Beitrag

That might be true in OMV, regarding mounting. O my linux computers running EndeavourOS, Kali and Mint I do not have "rootshare" plugin, of-course, so here is my fstab line I use on Mint to mount local secondary HD on the laptop; "/dev/sdb1 /mnt/Data auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,x-gvfs-name=Data_Drive 0 0." In that fstab file all (8) NAS running OMV6 HD`s are mounted in /media/cifs. That is how I did it which is not to say that OMV is wrong. Sot to recap: I do not have to nor need "rootshare" plugin to mount drives, local and remote through fstab. BTW, ALL of those drives are available on DE in Mint, EndeavourOS and Kali.

OMV is not meant to be a normal Linux distro, it never has been. the webUI takes over some things and handles them in a preset fashion to keep things 1. consistent 2. easy for users who may not be Linux admin's. It's this way with TruNAS/BSD, unRAID/Slackware and OMV/Debian... it's just how it is. They all do this (been a while since I messed with the previous 2, so I'd assume it's still the similar). OMV specifically, manages fstab... so as you are aware, any changes you make there, are going to be overwritten by the webUI.

OMV has to streamline and "automate" some things to keep things simple for newbs, but also consistent for support.

• OMV is not meant to be a normal Linux distro, it never has been. the webUI takes over some things and handles them in a preset fashion to keep things 1. consistent 2. easy for users who may not be Linux admin's. It's this way with TruNAS/BSD, unRAID/Slackware and OMV/Debian... it's just how it is. They all do this (been a while since I messed with the previous 2, so I'd assume it's still the similar). OMV specifically, manages fstab... so as you are aware, any changes you make there, are going to be overwritten by the webUI.

OMV has to streamline and "automate" some things to keep things simple for newbs, but also consistent for support.

You are 100% correct when referring to OMV. I agree.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No idea if this OMV environment variable still works or not, but in the past it was used to override the default mount directory.

OMV_MOUNT_DIR=

I was bored and took a look in config.xml and don't see that option there.

• Hmm, I seem to recall that as well.

Do you know the support cluster that would cause if everyone was creating their own mount directory? LOL.

I propose renaming the variable. Who's gonna submit the PR? (Ducking and running)

OMV_MOUNT_DIR_NO_FORUM_SUPPORT_WILL_BE_PROVIDED_IF_USED=

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

gderf you might have a future writing comic strips for xkcd.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is this a bug or a feature?

It needs the sharerootfs plugin in order to browse the root filesystem in the directory chooser. I could put this functionality in the plugin but it would exactly duplicate what the sharerootfs plugin is doing. The kvm and tgt plugins depend on sharerootfs as well.

aaron@omv6dev:/srv/plugins$ grep sharerootfs openmediavault-*/debian/control

openmediavault-kvm/debian/control: openmediavault-sharerootfs,

openmediavault-symlinks/debian/control: openmediavault-sharerootfs,

openmediavault-tgt/debian/control: openmediavault-sharerootfs,

• Offizieller Beitrag

Leave it like it is. Now that I know what’s going on it doesn’t bother me at all. If somebody objects to it that much, Symlinks is not that hard to set up from the command line.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If somebody objects to it that much

Just out of curiosity, why would some object to having the sharerootfs plugin installed?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just out of curiosity, why would some object to having the sharerootfs plugin installed?

Did you read this thread? lol. Some folks just need to complain

Some people just need something to complain about. I don't see the big deal. Even if it's available for shared folders, it's doesn't mean you have to use it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!