Photoprism plugin vs docker image? (reverse proxy)

• I am going to install photoprism. Should I use the OMV plugin, or the docker--compose image that photoprism has?

I need to route it through my SWAG reverse proxy. I am now familiar with doing that on docker, but how easy is it for the plugin?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have the docker container running with Swag and it works perfectly, and it was easy (well, with some trial and error) to set up. I haven’t tried the plugin but I have seen a number of posts about the plugin seeking help. I understand that all of those plugins using podman are still a bit of a work in progress.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Seconded the Docker install worked fine here with SWAG.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• When I clicked the link for the docker-compose file, there’s a tonnnnnnn of junk in there that’s commented out. When I paste it in portainer, should I remove most of that or leave it for future reference?

• Leave for future reference I'd say.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am going to install photoprism. Should I use the OMV plugin, or the docker--compose image that photoprism has?

I need to route it through my SWAG reverse proxy. I am now familiar with doing that on docker, but how easy is it for the plugin?

If it were me.. I'd use the plugin. I have had nothing but problems with that container.

Reverse proxy on the plugin is easy once you get it installed and set up.

Once it's set up locally and working...

Add your photoprism CNAME to your domain panel

cd to your proxy-confs folder, then (this is for subdomain)

Code
    cp _template.subdomain.conf.sample photoprisom.subdomain.conf

that will copy the subdomain templet to photoprism.subdomain.conf

nano photoprism.subdomain.conf

You've apparently done this a couple of times, this maybe a little familiar other than you're configuring it manually.

line 11, assuming you want this called photoprism, would be photoprism.*;

line 37, your server's IP address.

line 38, photoprism's port number (whatever you gave it)

line 39, http or https (whichever photoprism uses locally, I think it's http)

Save it.

Now ping photoprism.yourdomain.tld and make sure it responds to a ping.

Now go to your swag stack, add your photoprism subdomain, and redeploy the swag stack.

Watch your swag log and it should pull a new cert.

When it's done, you should be able to reach photoprism by subdomain.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have the docker container running with Swag and it works perfectly, and it was easy (well, with some trial and error) to set up. I haven’t tried the plugin but I have seen a number of posts about the plugin seeking help. I understand that all of those plugins using podman are still a bit of a work in progress.

I had tons of issues w/ the container, literally the podman plugin was up in 10min. I just ended up finding I really preferred Piwigo to Photoprism, so I removed it..

• I guess I'll try the plugin, just because it is designed for OMV, and because photoprism endorses it. If there are problems I'll uninstall and do docker hehe

• There's no difference between docker or podman images other than the platform they are running.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess I'll try the plugin, just because it is designed for OMV, and because photoprism endorses it. If there are problems I'll uninstall and do docker hehe

There is no harm in that. Go for it.

I had tons of issues w/ the container, literally the podman plugin was up in 10min. I just ended up finding I really preferred Piwigo to Photoprism, so I removed it..

It's nice that there are options. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's nice that there are options. :)

You'll never get an argument from me on that.

The ease of sorting photos into albums. If you want you can allow users to "sign up", by automatically giving new users a certain group. That group can then be given permission to see everything, some things, or nothing at all until you manually adjust their permissions.

When I went on vacation to long ago (and when I finally go again in a week)... since I don't do Facebook/Twitter, I just told family to log in there to see pics if they wanted. All new users went to a "Vacation Group", and All my vacation albums were available to them. At the same time, none of them could see any of the tons of other stuff I have on Piwigo (pictures I took when I broke into Area 51, a photo of the map to Hoffa's body, etc.) :). I could just give new users "no access", and after an account was created, just log in and give new accounts proper permissions for what I wanted them to see (which is how it's set when I'm not on vacation). Or if I was feeling particularly sharing.. I could set albums to be shown and viewed w/o logging in at all (I'm a little to private for that)

I really wanted to like Photoshow as everyone here raves on it. I'm sure it has some qualities to it that probably make it better than Piwigo. By the time I'd tried it I'd been susing Piwigo almost 3yrs and it was a tough switch to make. Any of the limitations Piwigo may/may not have vs Photoshow, don't have any effect on me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I really wanted to like Photoshow

Do you mean PhotoPrism. I too gave PhotoShow a try and found it too simple and unuseful. PhotoPrism is much more feature rich and has a more slick look/feel. The thing I didn’t like about Piwigo was that it renames your image files and buries them deep in a file hierarchy. I haven’t tried it in a long time. Maybe it has improved, but I’m happy with PhotoPrism.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you mean PhotoPrism. I too gave PhotoShow a try and found it too simple and unuseful. PhotoPrism is much more feature rich and has a more slick look/feel. The thing I didn’t like about Piwigo was that it renames your image files and buries them deep in a file hierarchy. I haven’t tried it in a long time. Maybe it has improved, but I’m happy with PhotoPrism.

I meant Photoprism... but I also tried Photoshow. As you said it is pretty much for the minimalist, but it wasn't that bad (and it's ridiculously easy to install)

I've tried several of the "picture gallery" containers, and I just always come back to Piwigo. The database renaming the files I don't particularly care for. However after using the others, I consider it relatively minor. I keep my pictures backed up both in the Piwigo database and with their original names, so it doesn't bother me. If I was a professional photographer with 100's of gigs of raw images, files, etc. It probably wouldn't be my first choice... but my little 8-9gig personal photo collection it's fine.

I think it's just one of those things where there might be better out there, but I've just used it so long and it's familiar and meets my needs perfectly, so I never look elsewhere or if I do, I always come back to it for some reason.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you shoot with anything besides your smartphone? I use to shoot quite a bit with a Canon 40-D, but any more I just use my IPhone. I’ve gotten lazy in my old age. :)

• I shoot with my canon 1200d (EOS rebel t5). Pretty nice for what I use it for. I also take videos with a gopro hero 8, and I’m hoping I can back those videos up and look at them with photoprism too.

but my little 8-9gig personal photo collection it's fine.

Verrrrrry Small collection if you ask me :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you shoot with anything besides your smartphone? I use to shoot quite a bit with a Canon 40-D, but any more I just use my IPhone. I’ve gotten lazy in my old age. :)

I had a pretty nice Cannon DSLR several years ago that took way better pictures than my talent was capable of... but it's been dead a few years. Now I'd say about about 60% of the time I use my phone, but I also have a Kodak Pixpro Astro Zoom (model # escapes me at the moment). Again, both of them are far more capable than my abilities.

Edit: Now that I actually look in the folder, it's actually about 15gigs vs the 8-9 I thought it was. I feel like I'm growing up.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I shoot with my canon 1200d (EOS rebel t5). Pretty nice for what I use it for. I also take videos with a gopro hero 8, and I’m hoping I can back those videos up and look at them with photoprism too.

Verrrrrry Small collection if you ask me :)

Hey... we don't willy wave here...:)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I might take another crack at Photoprism when I get home today. I've had a stressful couple of days and tedious brain work relaxes me. This vacation can't come soon enough

Another thing I didn't like about it (as I recall) is you couldn't set up multiple user accounts.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!