OMV 3.9.9 Erasmus upgrade to OMV 4.x to the current version

• Hi fellow OMV enthusiasts,

Good morning from Cavite, Philippines. I would like to ask for inputs to my OMV upgrade journey. Currently, I am running OMV 3.9.9 Erasmus and noticed that I cannot upgrade to OMV 4.x. It happened some years ago but I don't have much time to look for options as I am an On-Call staff in a Windows MSP. I used my OMV as a File server for CCTV snapshot and videoclips and other important file stuffs and works great. Files are accessible in Windows. I can leave the machine without turning it off but I made some cronjob to restart the computer every Sunday morning. Everything is working fine. The OS has it's own HDD and the File storage as well. My question is, if I delete the OMV 3.9.9 and install the latest version say OMV 5.x or 6.x since I want to have my own DC running in Samba, can I still mount the file storage HDD? Also, in case I want a gradual upgrade from 3.x.x to 4.x.x to the current, is it the right path, or I can just start a clean slate using the current OMV version and just mount the file storage and will work fine. I don't want to loose our files cause it includes memories of my late parents, parent in law and some very very important documents that I am scared of losing. Your inputs are highly regarded. Please advise. Thank you very much

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't want to loose our files cause it includes memories of my late parents, parent in law and some very very important documents that I am scared of losing. Your inputs are highly regarded. Please advise.

You always need backup. When your data drives are end of line you will know how important a backup is. Read about the 1-2-3 backup strategy.

I want to have my own DC running in Samba

Can you explain, what you mean?

can just start a clean slate using the current OMV version and just mount the file storage and will work fine

Yes, should work without issue. Just do a fresh installation of OMV. Then connect the data drives, mount the filesystems. create shared folders, add shared folders to services like smb ......

• OMV does not provide a domain controller out of the box.

it is a hard journey upgrading from 3 to 4 to 5 (5 to 6 is easy).

You can install OMV6 and mount the existing data disks.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Thank you to your replies, Zoki and Macom. About your question, I want to create a Domain Controller(DC) using Samba so I can have my domain accessible even when I am outside or my kids can access our Fileshare when not at home. I think this is possible using VPN but still another technology that I will need to configure. During the old days, you can just dial-in using a modem on PSTN but this is no longer the case that is why I am planning of creating a DC. Your suggestions are highly regarded. Cheers.

Regards,

• you do not need a domain controller for this.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!